Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
jbriggs444 said:
If you can blow up the sun, powering a dipping bird may not be high on your list of tasks remaining to be accomplished.
I guess it depends how big a dipping bird...

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and jbriggs444
Physics news on Phys.org
What did work-energy ever do to you to deserve this abuse? ##-## @russ_watters

• Haha
Likes Klystron, phinds, berkeman and 2 others
Breaking an incalculable problem into two incalculable steps may not get you very far. ##-## @Vanadium 50

Likes russ_watters, DrClaude, bhobba and 1 other person
From a thread in Academic Guidance where we were trying to help a struggling Engineering student who kept alluding to using cheating to get by...

Vanadium 50 said:
Its probably worth pointing out that when engineers cheat, people die.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Klystron, russ_watters and 6 others
berkeman said:
From a thread in Academic Guidance where we were trying to help a struggling Engineering student who kept alluding to using cheating to get by...
Vanadium 50 said:
When Ferdinand Sauerbruch [a famous surgeon] had Max Liebermann [a famous painter] portray him, he soon found sitting too long. But the artist reassured him: "There's no other way. If you make a mistake, the green lawn will cover it up the next day. But you can see my mistake hanging on the wall for a hundred years."

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes strangerep, Borg, jack action and 2 others
berkeman said:
It's a very good point. I remember very distinctly the Kansas city walkway collapse, and it really came down to a poor engineering decision. The original design should have been fine.

Likes russ_watters, bhobba and berkeman
LOL, this was asked of me in a thread today...

Mike S. said:
Odd. Why is Google your friend if you're looking it up in Wikipedia?

• Haha
Likes sysprog, jack action and anorlunda
The universe is not Euclidean. That doesn't mean there isn't (still) Euclidean geometry. ##-## @PeroK

Likes PeroK
sysprog said:
The universe is not Euclidean. That doesn't mean there isn't (still) Euclidean geometry. ##-## @PeroK
I'm glad someone understood what I meant!

Likes sysprog and Keith_McClary
PeroK said:
I would describe your theory in tauro-scatological terms.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, strangerep, Bystander and 6 others
PeroK said:
I would describe your theory in tauro-scatological terms.

That one took me a few minutes.

Likes PhDeezNutz, strangerep and sysprog
gmax137 said:
I stole it from Tom Wolfe, in The Bonfire of the Vanities.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Klystron and sysprog
gmax137 said:
It probably helps if you click the up-arrow in the quote to see the context of his reply. :smile:

Likes sysprog
berkeman said:
It probably helps if you click the up-arrow in the quote to see the context of his reply. :smile:
I tried that, and still sat and stared at it until the light bulb lit.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:

Sometimes, that's the rub. Usually though, the people they work for make a bit more money, at least for a while until the market decides your product sucks or the regulators and lawyers find out.

Hence the quality/safety problem that isn't uncommon in engineering: Do I quit, or do what my idiot boss wants? This is often an extremely complex and subtle issue. No ethics class will give you the answer to your particular dilemma. Other times it's not a dilemma, you might be clueless working beyond your expertise, à la Dunning-Kruger.

Are the engineers that designed the Ford Pinto worse than the engineers that designed the Toyota Corolla? I think probably not, they just worked for different people.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
gmax137 said:
I tried that, and still sat and stared at it until the light bulb lit.
You have one of those energy efficient bulbs that take a while to brighten?

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Tom.G, berkeman and 2 others
DaveE said:
Do I quit, or do what my idiot boss wants?
Chicago Police: Who called the Police?
Beautiful girl (PhD candidate) working at coffee shop counter: My idiot boss.
Police: Why did he call the Police?
Beautiful: Because he's an idiot.
CPD: Tell your idiot boss don't call the Police unless he has a good reason.
BG: Well, I'll tell him, but I don't think he'll listen.
CPD [Leaves without comment]: (maybe a bit of a harrumph).

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Dullard said:
This might be a chance to teach the most useful general rule in all of science:

(Some of it) + (The rest of it) = (All of it)

Likes berkeman, BillTre, sysprog and 1 other person
Mass is constant in a closed system. But in an open system where stuff can come in or out, it manifestly isn't constant, as the example of a person eating shows. ##-## @Ibix

Likes PhDeezNutz, Lnewqban and BillTre
  • Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, Lnewqban, BvU and 1 other person
It's like watching a tennis match and focusing on how the players have tied their shoelaces. Yes, it's important that a player's shoes don't fall off while he/she is running around; but, it hardly adds to an understanding of the game. ##-## @PeroK

Likes PhDeezNutz, pinball1970, strangerep and 4 others
DennisN said:
And no-one gets banned on PF. They get liberated from the tyranny of the forum rules.
Sadly, this is all too true.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
"I confess that I get tired of HW problems that are trying to trick the students instead of focusing on the key analytical issues."

DaveE in "Find the current through a complicated circuit"

(However I am not saying that that problem is an example of this artificiality.)

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
That is a different principle introducing real-world type situations, suitable for the more advanced stages IMHO.

Likes Klystron
epenguin said:
"I confess that I get tired of HW problems that are trying to trick the students instead of focusing on the key analytical issues."

This statement is pretty misguided. The problem in that thread is typical of Olympiad-style papers (viz: circuits with a few little twists or exotic geometries), designed to make the student think instead of chugging through the mindless book-work level analysis.

Likes dextercioby, Hamiltonian, pbuk and 1 other person
epenguin said:

DaveE in "Find the current through a complicated circuit"

(However I am not saying that that problem is an example of this artificiality.)
here's the link. A simple flattened-out redraw of the circuit is all that's required. Not a trick, but simple stereometric insight. Admittedly unrelated to key analytical issues.

1648640021979.png
1648641033694.png

##\ ##

Likes Astronuc and Klystron
@berkeman, I would interpret "It was not a theory but imagination" to mean something like "it's not something that I think is surely or necessarily very likely true or hold as a theory, but something that I imagine might be true" ##-## I think that the 'appears in a reputable textbook or peer-reviewed journal' criterion that PF embraces is a useful 'guidepost' or 'bright line' idea here.

ergospherical said:
This statement is pretty misguided. The problem in that thread is typical of Olympiad-style papers (viz: circuits with a few little twists or exotic geometries), designed to make the student think instead of chugging through the mindless book-work level analysis.
The "mindless book-work level analysis" you refer to is in the realm of physics HW assignments or circuit simulators. The real working analog EEs have their hands full with schematics of real world, complex circuits to deal with.

This is the world EEs work in:
LINRSCHM.jpg

Not contrived puzzles with 6 identical resistors in tetrahedrons. It's a math puzzle, maybe a lesson in recognizing symmetry, that is all it's good for. So, if you need to quiz a freshman physics student with a HW puzzle, go for it, but it has virtually no value in the real EE world. This is a great example of why EEs think physicists don't understand circuit analysis. Perhaps it's beneath y'all, IDK.

In my studies at prestigious universities in EE, and then in 30 years of working with circuits, I never, ever, had to deal with anything as contrived as this tetrahedron. Teaching students methods to deal with complexity will pay off, teaching them to find tricks for quick solutions to quizzes is fleeting at best. Either they'll never need it, or it won't work for real problems.

• Skeptical
Likes dextercioby, Astronuc, jack action and 6 others
DaveE said:
It's a math puzzle, maybe a lesson in recognizing symmetry, that is all it's good for.

I think many would argue this is quite valuable. Inspect, for example, the following problems. Although you'd probably say they're completely useless for a budding electronic engineer, both provide insight into some key physical principles and problem-solving techniques.

1648721573744.png

1648721421953.png

Likes Astronuc, Klystron, hutchphd and 2 others
I think that both @ergospherical and @DaveE are correct. I have designed production electronics and I have occasionally had lovely inspired flashes of insight. They are synergistic.

Likes dextercioby, Astronuc, Klystron and 1 other person
off topic offramp.jpg

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, BillTre, DaveE and 6 others
Thanks @phinds, back on track:

Having done countless computing interviews, school prestige is nowhere near the importance many students think. ##-## @bhobba

Likes Klystron and DaveE
Please don’t misquote your own source. ##-## @Dale

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, Borg, bhobba and 6 others
If you reach down and pull up on your bootstraps (shoelaces), you don't reduce your weight, you just strain your back. ##-## @russ_watters

Likes Astronuc, jack action, bhobba and 4 others
Let me say it again: never never use physics textbooks for studying math. ##-## @wrobel

• Love
  • Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, dextercioby and bhobba