Official 2021 PF Member Awards Ceremony

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, it's been another incredible year spent on PF, although another weird one! I think 2022 is going to be really special!
It's been another incredible year spent on PF, although another weird one! I think 2022 is going to be really special!

Congrats to all who were nominated as it's a true honor. It should be remembered each voting list could easily have been many times as long. We have an amazing core of members here at PF. You are all appreciated!

A member may have won more than one category but can be awarded for just one. The next in line will be awarded. This can happen multiple times per poll. There were many tight races!

Thanks to all who participated in the voting and commentary!

Now for a special congratulations to the popular vote winners! Winners will receive a special badge which will last the year.

Hall of Legends Award
@Dale

The Physics Award
@vanhees71

The Homework Helper Award
@PeroK
@kuruman

The Mathematics Award
@Office_Shredder

The Astro/Cosmo Award
@Orodruin

The Engineering Award
@Baluncore

Other Science Award
@Ygggdrasil

Academic Guidance Award
@Vanadium 50

Newcomer Award
@Nullstein

Best Insight Award
10 Math Things We All Learnt Wrong At School
@fresh_42

The Community Spirit Award
@phinds

Best Humor Award
@davenn

Click here for the full poll records

Now everyone else, start shinning to be nominated for next year! :smile:

Likes Demystifier, Borg, TSny and 12 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats to the winners and also all of the nominees! What a talented group we have here at PF. :smile:

Likes Borg, TSny, kuruman and 5 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
The Astro/Cosmo Award
@Orodruin
I am humbled and grateful to anyone that voted for anyone in any category I was nominated. Every single category was full of talent!

I believe this is the first time I have picked up the Astro/Cosmo trophy which makes it extra special. Especially as I feel it may have not been my most active year for several reasons. This really caps off 2021 as a great personal year despite the global situation. (Although the PF award will have to give way to becoming a father as the best thing in the year ... no medals for that one though 😉)

Big congratulations to all other winners!

Last edited:
Likes sysprog, Astronuc, TSny and 9 others
Congratulations to all nominations and winners. Another great year for Physics Forums.

Likes pinball1970, sysprog, Astronuc and 8 others
Well deserved awards. Congratulations to all the winners.

• Love
Likes Astronuc, kuruman, vanhees71 and 5 others
I think most of the credit for all this goes to Greg and the moderators for maintaining such an outstanding forum where I get to tell crappy jokes and the rest of you get to actually teach folks science. :smile:

Great job all. Very impressive list.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes sysprog, Astronuc, Borg and 12 others
phinds said:
where I get to tell crappy jokes and the rest of you get to actually teach folks science
I’m a dad now, so watch out in the years to come 😁

Likes sysprog, Astronuc, dlgoff and 2 others
Congrats to all!

Likes sysprog, Astronuc, dlgoff and 4 others
Thank you very much for the Physics Award. I feel very honored. Thank you also to all Mentors and particularly Greg for all their effort to make Physics Forums great!

• Love
Likes dyn, Demystifier, sysprog and 9 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
Hall of Legends Award
@Dale
Many thanks everyone. If only I weren't so humble I would tell everyone what it feels like to be a legend in my own time :smile:

I do have to say that I very much enjoy this community. We have many people with many different backgrounds all contributing to science education of their own good will. I am glad to be a small part of it.

Likes Hamiltonian, Moes, sysprog and 11 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
The Homework Helper Award
@PeroK
@kuruman
It is indeed an honor to receive this award and I thank everyone for their kindness and community spirit. As I mentioned to Greg when he informed me of this nomination, I do what I can and mostly I appreciate that PF is there to provide a refuge and a much needed shot of sanity in this crazy, upside down world we live in.

Likes Hamiltonian, sysprog, Astronuc and 6 others
Dale said:
Many thanks everyone. If only I weren't so humble I would tell everyone what it feels like to be a legend in my own time :smile:

I do have to say that I very much enjoy this community. We have many people with many different backgrounds all contributing to science education of their own good will. I am glad to be a small part of it.
I've learned a lot from you @Dale. Thank You

Likes sysprog, Astronuc, hutchphd and 2 others
Dale said:
If only I weren't so humble I would tell everyone what it feels like to be a legend in my own time :smile:
The hall of legends is no place for humbleness, do tell! 😉

• Haha
Likes sysprog, Astronuc, PeroK and 6 others
Congratulations to all winners 🏆👏 🎊
:partytime:

Likes sysprog, Orodruin, Charles Link and 2 others
Orodruin said:
I’m a dad now, so watch out in the years to come 😁
See, I’m already going strong on the 2022 humor award in this very thread 😛
1642185051433.png

Edit: January 16 and still going strong. This is my year 😛
1642362210086.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, Astronuc, dlgoff and 2 others
Congratulations to all winners! :smile:

illustration-congratulations-card-with-flowers-and.jpg

• Love
Likes sysprog, dlgoff, Orodruin and 2 others
Thanks to everyone who voted for me, and to the rest of you there is plenty of room on my enemies list 😁

• Haha
Likes Borg, Orodruin, dlgoff and 3 others
Unfortunately, winning the Astro/cosmo award means I cannot legitimiately post this this year ...

Edit: So illegitimate that YouTube won't allow it to be embedded ... 😁

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto and BillTre
Congratulations to all the winners!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Now everyone else, start shinning to be nominated for next year! :smile:

I do however question the wisdom in getting close enough to kick people in the shins in the time of COVID.

Likes vanhees71 and dlgoff
caz said:
I do however question the wisdom in getting close enough to kick people in the shins in the time of COVID.
A case of Shin On You Crazy Diamond!

Likes vanhees71, dlgoff and Frabjous
caz said:
That depends ...
1642194157197.jpeg

• Haha
Likes Zeal Faust, Hamiltonian, vanhees71 and 6 others
Thanks all for the votes. Usually the other sciences section of the forum is a nice quiet corner of PF where us non-physicists can hang out to discuss our favorite topics in science. Understandably, this section has gotten quite a lot more activity these pasts two years, so thanks to all of the regulars (and especially the mentors!) in the Biology and Medicine section for helping to maintain the high quality of discussion in that forum and keep everyone informed of the latest science.

Last edited:
Likes kith, vanhees71, PeroK and 9 others
Attention @Greg Bernhardt :
Homework Helper is still open for voting.

[edit]
Hmm... and others where I did not cast a vote. Is this by design?

Likes gentzen and vanhees71
Tom.G said:

[edit]
I imagine that trying to cast a vote would result in a 'closed' message.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
Unfortunately, winning the Astro/cosmo award means I cannot legitimiately post this this year ...

Edit: So illegitimate that YouTube won't allow it to be embedded ... 😁

I can't even watch it "in my country". What the heck...

vanhees71 said:
I can't even watch it "in my country". What the heck...
You can with a free VPN, e.g. from hola.org.

Likes vanhees71
Tom.G said:

[edit]

sysprog said:
I imagine that trying to cast a vote would result in a 'closed' message.
Nop.
As a test, I belately voted for @phinds in Astro/Cosmo and it now shows that I voted for him! It also shows the result details, which does not show where I didn't vote.

Strange.

@Tom.G, I don't know, maybe Greg didn't close the polls via xenforo, and just tallied the results as they were at the preannounced time of end of voting.

I'm not paranoid, but this all sounds like a vast conspiracy to me. I think I need to go to the attic and find my bear spray, body paint, and ceremonial goat head. I'm just not sure where the electoral college meets...

Regardless of fake mail-in ballots, I wish to thank all involved. I have learned something from nearly everyone nominated and personally appreciate the reaffirmation that you can teach an old dog new tricks, albeit slowly. Also the gentle and patient good humor is a tonic and an oasis.

/

• Haha
Likes BillTre, vanhees71 and sysprog
Tom.G said:
As a test, I belately voted for @phinds in Astro/Cosmo and it now shows that I voted for him!
Stop the count!

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
Tom.G said:

[edit]
Probably Greg forgot to set the number of days after which the poll should be closed automatically. I checked in the category that I didn't vote, and found that the poll doesn't say something like "Closes on xxx".

Ha yeah I moved the poll forum to private and didn’t close them after I moved them back to public.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G, vanhees71, hutchphd and 2 others
OK I'll put away the bear spray. Thanks for a good year.

1. What is the "Official 2021 PF Member Awards Ceremony"?

The "Official 2021 PF Member Awards Ceremony" is an annual event hosted by the scientific community to recognize and celebrate the achievements of members in the field of physics and related sciences.

2. Who can attend the ceremony?

The ceremony is open to all members of the scientific community, including researchers, professors, students, and industry professionals. However, due to limited space, attendance may be restricted to invitation only.

3. How are the award recipients chosen?

The award recipients are chosen through a rigorous nomination and selection process by a panel of experts in the field. Nominations can be made by any member of the scientific community, and the final decision is based on a combination of factors such as contributions to the field, impact of research, and overall excellence.

4. What types of awards are given out at the ceremony?

The ceremony recognizes a variety of awards, including lifetime achievement awards, breakthrough research awards, and emerging scientist awards. There may also be special awards given out to recognize outstanding contributions in specific areas of physics or related fields.

5. When and where will the ceremony take place?

The date and location of the ceremony may vary each year, but it is typically held in a major city with a strong presence in the scientific community. The exact details will be announced closer to the event, and updates can be found on the official website of the ceremony.