Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
We don't allow ill-formed thread starts here. Thank you. ##-## @berkeman

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Haha
Likes bhobba, Wrichik Basu, Keith_McClary and 7 others
When the 5V capacitor explodes, scares you, and you try to get away, you don't want to trip and hit your head on the network analyzer cart. ##-## @DaveE

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
You left off the last part...

DaveE said:
Network analyzers are expensive.

• Haha
Likes bhobba, BillTre, Keith_McClary and 2 others
And ever since the 13th amendment, you can't even buy us. Only rent.

• Haha
Likes bhobba and DaveE
jbriggs444 said:
And ever since the 13th amendment, you can't even buy us. Only rent.
Who said (appx) that?

sysprog said:
Who said (appx) that?
To explain the joke...

A "network analyzer" is an entity which analyzes networks in much the same way that a computer is an entity which computes. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_(occupation)

By this definition, I am a network analyzer. The 13th amendment to the U.S. constitution states:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

So (tongue in cheek and barring the existence of a chain gang in the machine room), if you fall backward onto a human network analyzer, he is not company property but is likely rented for wages.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
Likes BillTre
jbriggs444 said:
A "network analyzer" is an entity which analyzes networks in much the same way that a computer is an entity which computes. [...]
I avoided becoming a network analyzer because the modern internet was making it more and more like this guy's job.

• Haha
Likes BvU, jbriggs444 and berkeman
Mathematics may appear subjective to those who don't take the time to learn it. ##-## @PeroK

Likes Borg and PeroK
sysprog said:
Mathematics may appear subjective to those who don't take the time to learn it. ##-## @PeroK
I must be honest, I was quite pleased with that one myself!

Likes PhDeezNutz, bhobba, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
PeroK said:
I must be honest, I was quite pleased with that one myself!
It can also appear subjective to those who took the time. Whether or not one accepts the continuum hypothesis might be a question only relevant for set theorists, but the axiom of choice decides over an entire branch: algebra. So all who do not believe in the axiom of choice will have a hard time in mathematics.

• Love
Likes bhobba
fresh_42 said:
So all who do not believe in the axiom of choice will have a hard time in mathematics.
But I thought you are a constructivist?

pbuk said:
But I thought you are a constructivist?
I generally make decisions that maximize the number of options. I think this makes sense as it restricts possibilities only when necessary. However, my mathematical confession is rather conservative:

AC ##\checkmark##
CH ##\checkmark##
binary logic ##\checkmark##
reductio ad absurdum ##\checkmark##
Platonism ##\checkmark##

ERH ##\checkmark##
NP##\neq ##P ##\checkmark##

The last two until proven otherwise, but I doubt this will ever happen.

Likes bhobba and pbuk
fresh_42 said:
I generally make decisions that maximize the number of options. I think this makes sense as it restricts possibilities only when necessary. However, my mathematical confession is rather conservative:

AC ##\checkmark##
CH ##\checkmark##
binary logic ##\checkmark##
reductio ad absurdum ##\checkmark##
Platonism ##\checkmark##

ERH ##\checkmark##
NP##\neq ##P ##\checkmark##

The last two until proven otherwise, but I doubt this will ever happen.
My uneducated guess is that ERH is true, but not P=NP. In any case, maybe your latex on the last point isn't rendering properly.

valenumr said:
My uneducated guess is that ERH is true, but not P=NP. In any case, maybe your latex on the last point isn't rendering properly.
Had been sloppiness on my side.

sysprog said:
I'm just finding this thread, but that is awesome. They totally should have used cubits.

fresh_42 said:
Had been sloppiness on my side.
You're latex was fine. My eyesight however...

valenumr said:
You're latex was fine. My eyesight however...
Nothing wrong with your eyesight. I corrected the post while you were typing. I often see mistakes not before the final version can be seen, i.e. after "send". The preview is of no help since it alters the edit box. In an earlier version of the software, we had the edit and preview box in parallel which was much better. Now it is an either or so I often push "send" and correct it afterward.

Likes Demystifier, bhobba, BvU and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Nothing wrong with your eyesight. I corrected the post while you were typing. I often see mistakes not before the final version can be seen, i.e. after "send". The preview is of no help since it alters the edit box. In an earlier version of the software, we had the edit and preview box in parallel which was much better. Now it is an either or so I often push "send" and correct it afterward.
I am terrible at if printing typos. Or also conveying coherent thoughts. A preview would be nice, but I'd likely not pay it notice 😂

• Haha
Likes bhobba and fresh_42
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't understand the fuss. I've measured them before with a tachyometer.
I observed them many years ago with the tachometer a designed many years from now.

sysprog said:
When the 5V capacitor explodes, scares you, and you try to get away, you don't want to trip and hit your head on the network analyzer cart. ##-## @DaveE
In my younger days, I attempted to "troubleshoot" a very large camera flash. The capacitor discharge was, uh, stimulating.

fresh_42 said:
It can also appear subjective to those who took the time. Whether or not one accepts the continuum hypothesis might be a question only relevant for set theorists, but the axiom of choice decides over an entire branch: algebra. So all who do not believe in the axiom of choice will have a hard time in mathematics.
Don't forget incompleteness!

valenumr said:
Don't forget incompleteness!
I don't bother completeness. I simply change to the next meta-level.

Likes Demystifier
fresh_42 said:
I thought it was the case that one implied the other, at least almost, but I can't remember which direction. Either way, my "gut" tells me that there is nothing between the set of integers and the set of reals.

(whisper) Hey guys, there's plenty of room for discussion in re the axiom of choice and the continuum hypothesis available elsewhere on PF; thanks for not continuing those topics here.

Likes BvU
I don't understand it. I just quote experts. ##-## @Hornbein

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, DrClaude, jack action and 2 others
Two lines, but it made me laugh
Strilanc said:
I come from quantum computing, where measurement is *extremely* well delineated. In your circuit diagrams, it's the box that has an M in it :biggrin:.

Likes BvU and fresh_42
vanhees71 said:
The only accurate visualization of curved spacetime I know is to just look out at the real universe.

Likes Astronuc and vanhees71
More like a Spoonerism... but worth a chuckle.

From a thread on Covid Variant Omicron (B1.1.529).
bhobba said:
I would like greater availability of the Pfizer pill, which is 90% effective at parenting death.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes bhobba and berkeman
The self defeating mindset is really a problem. If you don't believe it, you'll most likely not going to pass. ##-## @0kelvin

Likes Lnewqban
Yes, one can add riptides, sharp rocks, 'rogue' waves, cold water, strong currents, kelp tangles, live and dead jellyfish, oil and sewer spills, stoned surfers and boogey boarders, and sociopathic yachtsmen firing guns near shore to the dangers of open ocean swimming. ##-## @Klystron

• Love
Likes Klystron and BillTre
It would be pretty ironic if I had accidentally used the word “deliberately”. ##-# @Dale

Likes Klystron and jack action
Why don't you calculate the escape velocity of the Moon from that and check online to see whether you are right? ##-## @PeroK

Likes Keith_McClary and BvU
Orodruin said:
Writing your question with the erroneous assumption in bold is not going to make the assumption true.
:bow:

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, Klystron, DrClaude and 5 others