Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
hmmm27 said:
Nor Canadian, though context makes it clear.
What context? I think Walter broke well, or braked in a unique and innovative, lucrative yet violent way.
Jessie went backwards, the more involved he got the more detached from reality he became.
Walter was trying to protect Jessie in his eyes, just like his family but descended further and further into criminality. I AM THE DANGER!
Jessie began as a criminal but strived to escape early doors.
To become human.
A beautifully complex story and "Breaking bad" did not sum it up for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
What context? I think Walter broke well, or braked in a unique and innovative, lucrative yet violent way.
Jessie went backwards, the more involved he got the more detached from reality he became.
Walter was trying to protect Jessie in his eyes, just like his family but descended further and further into criminality. I AM THE DANGER!
Jessie began as a criminal but strived to escape early doors.
To become human.
A beautifully complex story and "Breaking bad" did not sum it up for me.
Never seen it, save for a few YT clips where wossname beats the crap out of some idiot(s).

Along the lines of "breaking news", "breaking surf", "breaking wind", etc.

Guess : you think the title was too generic ? considering the current slew of criminal-POV TV.

jbriggs444 said:
. Like a quote from another movie: "The only way to win is not to play".
I don't know that one. I recall a cinematized gambler saying "You can't win if you don't play." (It was a cameo by the director of the film. I don't remember anything else about it.)

It's slightly misquoted from the movie War Games - the only winning move is not to play.

Likes mathwonk, berkeman and jbriggs444
A two-thirds vote of both Houses of Congress must propose a Constitutional amendment. If one party has at least 26% of the votes in either house, they can stop an amendment.

I knew this would happen when kids started relying on calculators.

Likes jbriggs444
Vanadium 50 said:
I took a speed reading class and then was able to read War and Peace in twenty minutes.

It's about Russia.

• Haha
Likes mathwonk, DaveE, pinball1970 and 1 other person
It's not original. I think it might have been Woody Allen.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's not original. I think it might have been Woody Allen.
Alan King?

If you can read War and Peace in twenty minutes you must have been Russian through it.

• Love
Likes hmmm27, pinball1970 and BillTre
I read The Lord of the Rings : lots of names begin with 'G'

Likes BillTre
hmmm27 said:
I read The Lord of the Rings : lots of names begin with 'G'
It's Lord of the rings, lots of characters and lots of letters.

pinball1970 said:
It's Lord of the rings, lots of characters and lots of letters.
I was twelve ; I enjoyed the story, but who's-who was a lost cause after about halfway through The Two Towers.

hmmm27 said:
I was twelve ; I enjoyed the story, but who's-who was a lost cause after about halfway through The Two Towers.
I don't have a copy at hand but I recall the last 200 pages of volume 3 was an Encyclopedia, including who's who and who was who...

gmax137 said:
I don't have a copy at hand but I recall the last 200 pages of volume 3 was an Encyclopedia, including who's who and who was who...
Not the most efficient placement, for a first-time reader.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and weirdoguy
hmmm27 said:
Not the most efficient placement, for a first-time reader.
You're kidding, right? If JRR had put his encyclopedia at the start of volume 1, he would have died and remained forever an unknown obscure academic. One in ten thousand readers would have read past page 25.

Likes phinds, Vanadium 50 and PeterDonis
gmax137 said:
One in ten thousand readers would have read past page 25.
I think I'd have started reading around page 201. I don't recall if I bought all 3 volumes at the same time or no, but I also don't recall thinking "Let me see if there's an encylopaedia built into book 3" (or for that matter the existence of the encyclopaedia, but that was quite awhile ago, and most of what I remember is "Why do all the character/place-names begin with 'G' ?")

hmmm27 said:
"Why do all the character/place-names begin with 'G' ?")
There are plenty that start with F and T also.
Try List of Tolkien Names.

I'm impressed that JRR could keep them sorted in his mind.

Likes pinball1970
hmmm27 said:
Good job you didnt try out the Silmarillion!

Likes PeroK
pinball1970 said:
Good job you didnt try out the Silmarillion!
I did... didn't get too far ; again, twelve. I haven't read The Hobbit either, though I imagine it's a comparatively easy read.

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
I haven't read The Hobbit either, though I imagine it's a comparitively easy read.
I was exposed to "The Hobbit" in year 9 high school English class. It was one of the prescribed literature textbooks, but our teacher refused to teach anything about it. She thought it was nonsense -- far beneath her. (Tbh, I didn't like her much at all. A literature teacher who doesn't comprehend the achievements of J.R.R. Tolkien?? Sheesh.)

"The Hobbit" is interesting in that the writing starts off with a rather childish tone -- well below year 9, I'd have thought. Not to mention the silly poems/songs.

Then the tone soon becomes more mature as the chapters advance.

Likes hmmm27 and Borg
I took a speed reading class and then was able to read War and Peace in twenty minutes.

It's about Russia.

That was Woody Allen.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to self-report, but this is from a PM discussion with a couple members after they wasted a fair amount of time and effort trying to help a user in the EE forum who mainly seemed clueless about their AC Mains project they kept asking about, but turned out to have ulterior motives...

berkeman said:
Yeah, very sorry about that, what a waste of our time and effort. He was a help vampire and hacker hidden in clueless sheep's clothing. (That might be a record for mixing metaphors...) :smile:

Likes Bystander and Vanadium 50
Hacker hidden in clueless sheep's clothing? Maybe he's just not the sharpest cookie in the jar.

Likes Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
Hacker hidden in clueless sheep's clothing? Maybe he's just not the sharpest cookie in the jar.
Doh! :smile:

Link limited to a select group !

1689181800082.png

1689181842828.png

BvU said:
Link limited to a select group !
Yes, it's from a PM conversation. :smile:

Or...you can lead a gift horse to water but you can't look in his mouth.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and jbriggs444
I always thought the gifted horses were the ones stomping out answers to arithmetic questions...

gmax137 said:
I always thought the gifted horses were the ones stomping out answers to arithmetic questions...
They could also just be horses given to someone.

gmax137 said:
HorseGPT.

Likes hmmm27
Vanadium 50 said:
HorseGPT.
ChatGPY and horses have one thing in common, at least: they both produce a lot of hotses.h...er...manure.

Vanadium 50 said:
HorseGPT.
That could be a winner. People like animals. Could CatGPT lie ahead?

I kind of like the idea of ChatLSD but that might get old fast. Then again, maybe not.

CatGPT would just ignore your questions.

Edit: This got me to thinking about Googling it and it turns out that CatGPT exists - https://cat-gpt.com

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes mathwonk, PeterDonis and dextercioby
Hornbein said:
Could CatGPT lie ahead?
We already have it in French. :-p