Exploring Google Tools: PF Forum Member Experiences

In summary, the conversation is about Google Tools, specifically Google Alerts and Google Squared. The participants are discussing the usefulness of Google Alerts in finding information and keeping up with current events. They also mention the limitations of embedding Google searches into documents. The conversation then shifts to discussing Google Goggles, a new tool that combines the camera of a smartphone with Google's vast search capabilities. The conversation ends with one participant mentioning using Google Goggles for a thread about identifying landmarks.
rhody
Gold Member
Google Tools...

I want to know if PF forum members regularly use:

Google, alerts... http://www.google.com/alerts" and if getting e-mailed links has helped you find or research information (Note: to busy college students...), or to keep abreast of breaking news ?

Have you tried, Google, Squared ? http://www.google.com/squared/search?q=physicists"

I have found google alerts useful for me. The trouble in weeding out meaningless alerts versus good ones is worth the trouble. Sometimes with a real gem. For instance, with a link to a recent talk given by Frank Wilczek, Nobel Prize winner in 2004.

Any examples of what google alerts has done for you ?

P.S. Don't try to embed google searches into documents, post them, and expect them to work, the Google thought police won't allow it. They must be afraid of denial of service attacks. It is a shame too, because Google harvests about 40% more links than it's next closest rival (Yahoooooo), who's links "do work" when embedded in document files.

rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

From PC Magazine 12:08:09 by Mark Hachman:
originally posted to: AppScout

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356786,00.asp"

Highlights:

"Basically, think of Goggles as object recognition, but with your phone's camera serving as your eye."

and

"Goggles can perform facial recognition, but it hasn't yet found a business case that would justify it, according to a product demonstrator who didn't identify himself. Although an obvious solution would be tagging, Google is still wrestling with how permissions would work and who would be allowed to tag photos, he said."

and

"At this point, Goggles appears somewhat rudimentary. But it represents what Vic Gundotra, vice president of engineering for Google, called "an eye to the cloud": By combining the camera of a smartphone. with the vast cloud-based search, recognition, and contextual databases available to Google, Google has added another dimension to its search inputs."

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:

rhody said:
"Basically, think of Goggles as object recognition, but with your phone's camera serving as your eye."

I just got the Droid and have been testing out Google Goggles, it works pretty good. I wonder if it will help me with the "Wheres that Landmark" thread... :devil:

Related to Exploring Google Tools: PF Forum Member Experiences

1. What are some of the most useful Google Tools for scientists?

There are several Google Tools that can be useful for scientists, such as Google Scholar, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and Google Forms. Google Scholar is a search engine specifically for academic and scientific literature. Google Drive and Docs allow for easy collaboration and sharing of research materials. Google Calendar can help with organizing and scheduling experiments and meetings. Google Forms can be used for surveys and data collection.

2. Can Google Tools be used for data visualization?

Yes, Google Tools such as Google Sheets and Google Slides have built-in features for creating charts and graphs to visualize data. Additionally, Google Fusion Tables can be used for more advanced data visualization and mapping.

3. Are there any limitations to using Google Tools for scientific research?

One limitation is that Google Tools are not specifically designed for scientific research, so they may not have all the features and functionalities that other software or tools made specifically for scientific research may have. Additionally, there may be concerns about the privacy and security of research data on Google's servers.

4. How can I use Google Tools to collaborate with other researchers?

Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides allow for easy collaboration and real-time editing with other researchers. Google Drive also allows for sharing and syncing of files between collaborators. Google Hangouts can also be used for virtual meetings and discussions.

5. Are there any costs associated with using Google Tools for scientific research?

Many of the basic Google Tools, such as Google Drive, Docs, and Sheets, are free to use. However, there may be costs associated with using more advanced features or upgrading to a premium account. Additionally, there may be costs for using Google Tools for large-scale or commercial research projects.