I got my first graduate interview invite

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Not looking for advice I just can't believe I'm actually getting an interview. I've been psyching myself up to prepare to be ghosted by every program and apply a 2nd or 3rd time because I've been so confident that I'm not good enough yet on paper and didn't want to be delusional. Yet somehow an admissions committee looked at my application and read my essays and thought, sure let's listen to what she has to say. One of my top no-way-do-I-stand-a-chance schools too! I joined PF right when I was determined to work towards getting PhD and it feels like a possible reality now! No one in my life understands why I'm so thrilled.

And, no, this is not a premature reaction because even if I'm rejected this round I've gotten further than I thought I'd get. I'm so grateful. It means I might actually get a PhD one day. If not now then maybe later. At least I'm not completely useless on paper lol. Sorry (not sorry) for the rant.

• Love
Likes DeBangis21, collinsmark, pinball1970 and 9 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, way to go, Quarky. Congratulations.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
No one in my life understands why I'm so thrilled.
Now, that's really sad.

Likes pinball1970, ProfuselyQuarky, BillTre and 2 others
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Echoing phinds,... that's sad indeed, but I can understand. No one in my normal life understands why I'm so interested in QFT, GR, etc, etc. They just give me blank looks (at best). I've given up trying explain. :olduhh:

Anyway, I'm sure there are PLENTY of PF'ers who are glad for you. :oldbiggrin:

My only advice is don't sell yourself short in your interview! Take pride in what you have accomplished and recognize you are more prepared now because of the challenges you have already overcome.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Very few people understand why technical people get thrilled. Sometimes, all we can do is dance around while saying "I had a really good day today. I can't explain why because it's too technical." And smile to ourselves.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and BillTre
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Look ahead. Once you get in, your life will change and the new people in it will understand what makes it thrilling.

Likes pinball1970, ProfuselyQuarky, BillTre and 1 other person
phinds said:
Hey, way to go, Quarky. Congratulations.Now, that's really sad.
Thank you! And I know it might sound sad to everyone but I can’t really blame anyone for not understanding. My parents thought I was studying microbiology (??) up until a few months ago lol.

Haborix said:
My only advice is don't sell yourself short in your interview! Take pride in what you have accomplished and recognize you are more prepared now because of the challenges you have already overcome.
This is a good reminder. I’m really bad at this. I spoke to my PI and he told me “pretend you’re a man and you have my permission to take credit for everything because you deserve credit for everything”. I guess I know what he tried to mean by that. But the work is so collaborative it’s going to be hard to talk about what I’ve done without over mentioning the substantial work and guidance of others

Last edited:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
But the work is so collaborative it’s going to be hard to talk about what I’ve done without over mentioning the substantial work and guidance of others
Don't forget that you are being interviewed, not the others. Sure, you have to give credit where credit is due. However, for your advancement, it is more important that you get across that you have what it takes to grow professionally and that you can work well with others as part of a team. Do your homework and figure out if there is someone in the new place you could conceivably work with and mention the possibility. You picked them - give reasons to pick you instead of some other applicant.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and berkeman
And don't forget to embrace the process. You will be interviewed by some really good folks so use this as an opportunity to increase your number of similarly engaged acquaintances. Of course you need to be competent and capable, but you also want to be interesting. It is a performance on many levels by all involved so make it enjoyable. These folks are ones who understand why you are thrilled so don't hide it !
Great good luck.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, BillTre and phinds
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I’ve done without over mentioning the substantial work and guidance of others
You are allowed to be gracious.

"Getting a good vacuum seal is more than a little tricky, but I was fortunate enough to have had a really good postdoc, Mary Smith, teach me how to best do it."

Likes hutchphd
Update: I GOT IN! I AM GETTING MY PHD

• Care
  • Love
Likes DeBangis21, Haborix, berkeman and 9 others
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Update: I GOT IN! I AM GETTING MY PHD
Congratulations! Keep in touch, we are here for you.

• Care
Likes Haborix, hutchphd, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
1707369848778.jpeg

Show 'em how it's done Girl!!!

• Love
  • Care
Likes Haborix, ProfuselyQuarky and pinball1970
Congratulation Quarky ! :smile:

• Care
Likes BillTre, Haborix, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person