Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
DaveC426913 said:
You can't beat someone to death with a handful of algae.

Likes phinds
Physics news on Phys.org
In a thread where a user is asking about derivations for an equation in Relativity...

Dale said:
It looks like you are just throwing letters and equal signs randomly on a wall.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Tom.G and Dale
From a thread where a user is asking about Gell-Mann matrices...

PeroK said:
That's because you haven't bought a textbook, but are just trying to eat graduate-level topics like physics is box of Christmas chocolates.

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur and OmCheeto
from a thread asking if any well known or famous scientists have visited PF.
Vanadium 50 said:
Why should they come here? They can find the ungrateful and demanding at their home institutions.

Likes sophiecentaur, Klystron, PhDeezNutz and 2 others
Astronuc said:
Flying is much easier than nuclear fusion.

Likes ohwilleke, PhDeezNutz, BillTre and 1 other person
“Real life isn't a movie. Not everything gets resolved in an hour and a half.”

@ohwilleke

Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu and ohwilleke
From a thread where the newbie is trying to build a particle accelerator, and making some fundamental mistakes... :smile:

Baluncore said:
"A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a couple of hours in the library". Crampon, Jean E. 1988.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes mathwonk, sophiecentaur, CalcNerd and 13 others
One liner with an extra line for context.
Baluncore said:
I have no specific references, just some experience with stress relief by hitting things.

Remember that you must display unto them the instruments of torture, before they will recant.

Likes BillTre
From the Chinese "weather" balloon thread, responding to a comment that every country spies on other countries:

Rive said:
Reminds me of the old joke about peeing in the swimming pool.
You know, even if it's a bit fuzzy thing, doing it from the jump [diving] board is kind of different...

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Ivan Seeking, PhDeezNutz and 3 others
In a thread with a basic question about antennas, where the question was answered but the OP then went on to ask the helpful responders how they learned all of the things they were able to help others with:

Baluncore said:
Apparently, I spent my first 10 years taking things apart, then the next five putting broken things back together, so that by the age of 15, my constructive profit had finally exceeded my destructive loss.

Likes Klystron, Astronuc, PhDeezNutz and 3 others
Ibix said:
There speaks someone who has never actually used an interferometer.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
I read this one by Ibix :

"Tidal forces may tear you apart over the weekend, but you will still arrive at Monday morning."

• Haha
Likes phinds, Astronuc, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
Perhaps not a one-liner, but I really liked this one

Vanadium 50 said:
You simply cannot take statements intended for the general public and treat them as rigorous scientific truths. If I told you that I read in My First Book of Stars (not a real book) that stars come in all sizes, shapes and colors, so there must exist somewhere a green cubical star that fits in my pocket, what would you say?

Likes DaveC426913, Astronuc, PhDeezNutz and 2 others
coquelicot said:
"Amateur" is just a french word.
@malawi_glenn - Why is it in an English dictionary then?

• Love
  • Haha
Likes SammyS, dextercioby, Astronuc and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
@malawi_glenn - Why is it in an English dictionary then?
The English have a thing for pissing off (annoying, irritating, . . . ) the French. The feeling is mutual.

Maybe it's a Norman thing.

It's like one of those insights one learns from Monty Python.

Another insight from Monty Python - the Scots cannot play tennis, or perhaps not very well.

Likes Vanadium 50 and pinball1970
Astronuc said:
The English have a thing for pissing off (annoying, irritating, . . . ) the French. The feeling is mutual.

Maybe it's a Norman thing.

It's like one of those insights one learns from Monty Python.

Another insight from Monty Python - the Scots cannot play tennis, or perhaps not very well.
We have love hate relationships with some of our European cousins to some extent.

Not many rival the French though, we have had 23 wars with them in the last 600 years including one that went on for over 100 years.
We want to be friends but that has to mean something!

Likes Astronuc
Astronuc said:
Andy Murray be like:
7f5ibu.jpg

Likes pinball1970 and PeroK
Arjan82 said:
Andy Murray be like:
View attachment 323870
Of course. I was being facetious, referring to a skit or segment on one of Monty Python's Flying Circus, in which the poked fun at the Scots. Coincidentally, I'm more Scottish than English, with a bits of Germanic Eu, Norway, Wales, Ireland and Sweden/Denmark included. In other words, I'm just a mongrel from the UK whose ancestors immigrated as far from the UK as the could get at the time.

• Haha
Likes Arjan82 and pinball1970
"For sale, one French army rifle. Never fired, only dropped once."

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and DaveC426913
Astronuc said:
Of course. I was being facetious,
Hey, but I'm a very serious tennis fan :wink:😆

Arjan82 said:
Hey, but I'm a very serious tennis fan :wink:😆
My father is a big tennis fan, and both my father and brother are big golf fans. I'm more a football (aka soccer) fan, but I'd rather play the sport than spectate.

topsquark said:
Is it wrong of me to have this insane desire to lick it?

-Dan

JT Smith said:
If someday you are famous enough that your quotes are listed on a website I wonder if the context of this particular one will be lost.

Likes PhDeezNutz
After much back-and-forth, in post #26 of the thread.
FranzDiCoccio said:
After all this seems to be one of those problem that is immediately clear only to people whose job is inventing textbook problems.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Rive
kuruman said:
Asking why a particle with zero spin has no magnetic moment is like asking why a bald man has no hair on his head.

• Haha
Likes SammyS, pinball1970, OmCheeto and 3 others
malawi_glenn said:
Have you played billiards with photons or another massless particle?

Likes berkeman and pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
Further, when discussing rotation, it is not a good idea to use the word "moment" to mean an instant in time.

• Haha
Likes Infrared, Wrichik Basu, BillTre and 2 others
It was a great line but would have had been better if I would have posted it for you.
Like a homage.

What else is measured by the lack of evidence besides Security? ( and don't say String Theory)

More than one line, but the first sentences set up the context:

DrChinese said:
Yes, visual models lead to inaccuracies in QM. They can be useful, as you would hope any model is. In science (and other things as well) it is often said: "The map is not the territory" (Korzybski).

Likes DrClaude, BillTre and PhDeezNutz
Regarding the need for military folks in particular not to post on social media
jedishrfu said:
War can be a poker game where both sides are cheating with folks posting about the hand a player is holding to the other players.

Likes PhDeezNutz
In a back-and-forth between two people that who both "know" they are right.
Baluncore said:
Then you need to learn that, when you are holding a hammer, everything is not a nail.

Likes PhDeezNutz