Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
We say "butter to the fishes" if we demand supporting facts.

Physics news on Phys.org
jbriggs444 said:
Ahh, that makes more sense now. We "butter people up" on this side of the pond as well.
So what came first? The person or the parsnip?

gmax137 said:
Love that. Is it a common aphorism? I have not heard it before.
A bit oldie, used to be a common saying. I don't know how commonly people eat parsnips any more - as I remember nobody really liked them.

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
We say "butter to the fishes" if we demand supporting facts.
Is that a "we" German or Mathematics?
I have a frail grasp on both, stick butter in and my hold is gone.

Likes fresh_42
epenguin said:
A bit oldie, used to be a common saying. I don't know how commonly people eat parsnips any more - as I remember nobody really liked them.
... which is why butter is desperately needed, I guess. Somehow the traditional version of "In case of doubt add bacon (optional: cheese)!"

fresh_42 said:
... which is why butter is desperately needed, I guess. Somehow the traditional version of "In case of doubt add bacon (optional: cheese)!"
Now to chase down a buttered pig to put in my parsnips.

jbriggs444 said:
Now to chase down a buttered pig to put in my parsnips.
That is mean. I am not a hypocrite, I love all forms of pig.
That would put an animal under unnecessary stress.

Likes fresh_42
epenguin said:
I'm quite partial to a roast (unbuttered) parsnip now and then.

hutchphd said:
With a little olive oil and roasted in the oven until sweet. Yum. Had my first parsnip a age fifty...not popular during my youth
Apparently the "yum" part is quite subjective and seems hard-wired in our genes: https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-some-people-hate-brussels-sprouts/
I'm not so fond of brussels sprouts. My favourite vegetable is the leek. The most spectacular is the Romanesco broccoli:

broccoli.jpg

Likes PhDeezNutz
Yes. When I first saw it at the market I thought I may have ingested something hallucinogenic. Apparently it was not a big seller as it is no longer available. Pity.

hutchphd said:
Partially because the future physics is truly unknown. Also because teaching how it fits would require you to understand the subjects you don't yet know and that is not efficient. But, where possible, we agree
Teaching the elementary methods to bright students is particularly difficult because often they use shortcuts to do the simple provblems: "Why do I need to draw a free body analysis when I can just write down answer from my head ?" The method of analysis is what is being taught, not how to play with Atwood Machines. Soon enough the problems will be non-intuitive. You need some faith that these folks understand what they are doing.
Not a one-liner by any means but full of insight. I do remember as a younger student being frustrated at not having immediate overarching perspective/intuition. Things were so easy at the 2000 level that when it came to higher level classes I hit a wall because things were no longer intuitive.

This is exactly what every young student needs to hear. You can’t have overarching perspective before you’ve had many many years of experience and that you have to trust that even though it’s impossible for teachers to confer immediate overarching insight that they do structure their curriculum in such a way that you eventually can glean said insight.

@hutchphd

Likes hutchphd
phinds said:

Yes most of the posts highlighted in the thread are witty one liners. But why not highlight good posts in general? Assuming they aren’t too technical/content heavy.

PhDeezNutz said:
Yes most of the posts highlighted in the thread are witty one liners. But why not highlight good posts in general? Assuming they aren’t too technical/content heavy.
I was not complaining about your post specifically but all of the last several posts. I feel the thread got off track and no, I don't agree that this is the right thread to celebrate long posts. If you'd like to start a new thread to do that then do so. Let's keep this to one-liners.

Likes Bystander and fresh_42
PhDeezNutz said:
phinds said:
If you'd like to start a new thread to do that then do so.
Please don't! We already have a backup procedure in place.

fresh_42 said:
Please don't! We already have a backup procedure in place.
1666718245553.png

• Haha
Likes Bystander, pinball1970, berkeman and 3 others
jbriggs444 said:
And don't forget that we use only recycled electrons from natural sources!

Likes pinball1970, jbriggs444 and BillTre
fresh_42 said:
And don't forget that we use only recycled electrons!
Finest kind!

BillTre said:
Finest kind!
THAT is a one liner.

fresh_42 said:
And don't forget that we use only recycled electrons from natural sources!
Give fresh his due. I didn't think Mathematicians cared about that stuff.

pinball1970 said:
I didn't think Mathematicians cared about that stuff.
Oh, we do. We are idealists, whereas some merely in the Platonic sense, but yes. It is the reality that we usually fail gloriously at. :cool:

Likes pinball1970
While discussing yet another incorrect OP circuit in the EE forum, and still trying to be helpful... :smile:

Baluncore said:
Then I applied an "inverse acid-trip transform" to see what clean circuit concepts might have been present in the ancestral circuit, and how they might interrelate.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude and DaveE
In response to a post trying to use the rubber sheet model to understand gravity.
Ibix said:
It would be like trying to deduce how a steam train works by looking at a child's wooden toy.

SammyS said:
It's very difficult to counter a valid argument.

Likes jack action
fresh_42 said:
... not that we wouldn't try!
There are well known ways of countering valid arguments. "The Big Lie", "Straw man", "Ad hominem", "Equivocation", "Post hoc ergo propter hoc", "Deflect and distract, never give in, never admit fault, lie and attack, lie and attack".

Those of us in the technical disciplines often experience problems dealing effectively with such counters.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970, DrClaude, pbuk and 1 other person
DaveE said:
There's a reason that the datasheets have lots of writing on them.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and berkeman
In a thread asking about a questionable psychological relation...

gleem said:
Just wanted to add that birds of a feather flock together and there aren't a lot of intelligent birds.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Hmm. Then what are we all doing here on PF? :oldconfused:

Likes PeroK
strangerep said:
Hey, chirp for yourself!

strangerep said:
Caw Caw

Likes Tom.G
phinds said:
Caw Caw
Yup!
Playing in the wind.

(Explanation: If you have seen a large field on a breezy day, a row of trees on the downwind side, and Crows; you may have seen them soaring, gliding. and chasing each other in the updraft.)

berkeman said:
In a thread asking about a questionable psychological relation...
Corvids are highly intelligent.