Why, What if, How did someone came up with that idea?

• Thread starter Trikenstein
  • Start date
In summary, scientists ask "why" in order to identify a problem or phenomenon and seek out an explanation or cause for it. If a scientist's hypothesis is proven wrong, it can lead to new questions and avenues of research. The process of coming up with a scientific idea can vary, but it often involves creativity, critical thinking, and a deep understanding of the subject matter. Scientists use the scientific method for its structured and systematic approach to investigating the natural world. Unexpected results in experiments can be frustrating but also lead to new discoveries and a better understanding of the topic.
Trikenstein
How did you find PF?
Internet search, I typed phys in Firefox address bar and www.physicsforums.com came up
I am an IT guy having ... a mechanical engineering background. I have no training in science. But from time to time, a question of the type "Why?" or "What if?" poped up in my head. For example: Why the electron doesn't crash onto the nucleus? What if we repeat the electron double-slits experiment but with a physical wall between the slits, would there still be interference?

I don't know why these questions came up like that b/c my work and life have nothing to do with science. But once it's there in the mind, it itches like hell.

Most of the time I find the answers by searching the internet. Now it get much easier than when there was no internet. The hard part is still to understand the answer.

Once a while I post a science question in reddit Science forum. But my questions got ignored, I hope this forum will be more responsive. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Sometimes questions get ignored when its obvious one can use google to find a suitable answer. Other times, a question may be ignored if no one has any in depth experience in that area. The third reason for a question getting ignored is that it may take far too long to provide an answer.

There are other less likely reasons like no one around to respond. We usually have folks signed on at all hours.

Wrt to why the electron doesn't crash into the nucleus gets into the Bohr atom and foundations of quantum mechanics. You can learn more by reading a book on the subject.

I found this book surprizingly good at covering the history in graphical form:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1840468505/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Beyond that the next level of physics books are the Susskind books called The Theoretical Minimum series. He has three books so far covering Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics and Special Theory of Relativity with a fourth on the way on General Relativity. They are especially good for former physics undergrads wanting to go back and relearn physics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1840468505/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Trikenstein
Hi @jedishrfu

At the rate of responsiveness of this forum, it's like 100x time faster than reddit. For example, you even gave me hints on questions I didn't formally ask yet on the forum board.

Thanks for the book you suggested, thanks but let me save that for retirement time. For now, I am too busy with work.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
@phinds Thanks, I think (hope?) if ever I asked a question, it would not violate the rules. On the other hand, if someone asks a question, that is likely b/c that person doesn't know the answer.

When a kid asks me a naive question which sometimes is absurd they got from social network. I try to answer, give examples to support my answer, and orient the kid towards the reasoning. I don't hand down rules, nor brush off the question because of some kind of non-conventional way to ask.

Please just go and read the PF guidelines.

Short Summary:

Most of the guidelines are common sense and basic courtesy. Other special guidelines are the following:

- We wish to discuss mainstream science. That means only topics that can be found in textbooks or that have been published in reputable journals.

- Homework must be posted in the homework forums, and an attempt must always be provided. Furthermore, one must use the homework template.

- Full solutions to a homework problem should never be given until after the questioner has arrived at a correct solution. Only hints and explanations are allowed.

- Be civil, and productive, and aim for a high quality of participation.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

1. Why do scientists ask "why" about things?

Asking "why" is a fundamental aspect of the scientific method. It allows scientists to identify a problem or phenomenon and seek out an explanation or cause for it. By asking "why," scientists can develop hypotheses and design experiments to test them, leading to a better understanding of the world around us.

2. What if a scientist's hypothesis is proven wrong?

If a scientist's hypothesis is proven wrong, it does not mean that their research is a failure. In fact, it is an essential part of the scientific process. A disproven hypothesis can lead to new questions and avenues of research, ultimately contributing to the advancement of knowledge in that particular field.

3. How did someone come up with a particular scientific idea?

The process of coming up with a scientific idea can vary from person to person. Some ideas may stem from observations or experiences, while others may be inspired by previous research or theories. Often, it is a combination of creativity, critical thinking, and a deep understanding of the subject matter that leads to a new scientific idea.

4. Why do scientists use the scientific method?

The scientific method provides a structured and systematic approach to investigating and understanding the natural world. It ensures that experiments are conducted in a controlled and unbiased manner, allowing for reliable and reproducible results. By using the scientific method, scientists can build upon previous knowledge and make new discoveries.

5. What if a scientist's experiment has unexpected results?

Unexpected results in a scientific experiment can be both frustrating and exciting. They may indicate that there are other factors at play that were not initially considered, leading to new questions and avenues of research. Scientists can use unexpected results to refine their hypotheses and experiments, ultimately leading to a better understanding of the topic at hand.