What challenges did you face in studying for a career change to physics?

• Thread starter AureliusUK
  • Start date
In summary, studying for a career change to physics can be challenging due to the complex and rigorous nature of the subject. Some common challenges include adjusting to a new way of thinking and problem-solving, mastering complex mathematical concepts, and keeping up with the rapidly advancing technology and research in the field. Additionally, individuals may also face financial and time constraints, as well as the pressure to perform well in a competitive field. Despite these challenges, those who are passionate and dedicated to pursuing a career in physics can overcome these obstacles and succeed in their new career path.
AureliusUK
Hello all,

I've long been a fan of space, science and other subjects I've never really grasped fully because of the mathematics required. It's been my main sticking point for studying Physics for over 10 years now, but I've realized that I may as well just take the plunge. I'd registered to study Biology and figured either way I'm going to be learning new and difficult material, why not just bite the bullet and study Physics?!

Currently I'm studying an undergraduate module that amounts to part-time. It's a prerequisite science introductory module required for both Biology and Physics degrees the university offers, so I am going to brush up on my maths over the next 9 months and change my major after the module to Physics.

I work in the health service and as you can imagine it's been a hellish 2.5 years. There have been many moments for reflection throughout the pandemic that have made me realize I want to do something different, so here we are.

Basically having to re-learn mathematics from algebra as I'm 34 soon and that knowledge is long gone as I never used it. Once I've finished my existing module I will be taking two mathematics modules to finish out my first year.

Big fan of sports, especially NFL and college football (Browns, Bama). Partial to baseball as well but I only really watch the post-season. Beyond that, whisky, watches and fountain pens are my hobbies and money sink.

Looking forward to meeting you all. If there are any other career changes around I'd love to hear your stories.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you given any thought to biophysics?

It seems you have interests that span both and sports has biomechanics as an example.

Likes AureliusUK
AureliusUK said:
I work in the health service and as you can imagine it's been a hellish 2.5 years. There have been many moments for reflection throughout the pandemic that have made me realize I want to do something different, so here we are.
Welcome to PF, and thank you for your service during the Pandemic. Definitely very challenging times for both sides of the health care fence!

Likes AureliusUK