Is it too late to pursue a second degree in physics and a career in science?

• Thread starter kippert
  • Start date
In summary, it is never too late to pursue a second degree in physics and a career in science. While it may seem daunting to start over in a new field, many successful scientists have pursued a second degree later in life. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to achieve a fulfilling career in science, regardless of age or previous education. Additionally, the demand for skilled professionals in the field of physics continues to grow, making it a promising and rewarding career path for those interested in the subject.
kippert
How did you find PF?
Recommended by a friend
Hi there,

New to the forum here. I'm currently studying my second Physics degree with The Open University. I originally graduated from Edinburgh in 2010 with a third, and I wasn't happy with my result.

I was young, naïve, immature, all the usual stuff of a student who still doesn't know who they are. Since then I've built myself a successful career in Software Engineering, become incredibly good at it and moved up the career ladder into leadership roles, all the while nurturing my love of science in the background.

Well, I have come to the conclusion that if I spend the rest of my life just doing Software Development then I have missed a trick. I love science, I love thinking about the why of stuff and I love the rabbit holes where reality breaks apart and I am left wondering what is even real anymore.

So I've started a second Physics degree with a view of eventually doing a PhD, I'm doing this part time and it's going well so far (albeit a very low level right now so I'm just weathering that for the time being).

Anyway, TLDR; Hi, looking forward to contributing and discussing science with you all.

Kipper

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes kippert