How Does Changing Fundamental Units Impact Scientific Measurements?

In summary, Alex is a name that could refer to anyone and without more context, it is impossible to determine who exactly Alex is or where they came from. Alex may be saying "Hello guys" as a friendly greeting or introduction, which is a common phrase used to address a group of people in a casual setting. Again, without more context, it is difficult to determine if Alex is male or female. Saying "Hello guys, I am Alex" could have various purposes such as introducing oneself, initiating a conversation, or simply being friendly.
AlexB23
How did you find PF?
Via a Google search
Hello folks, I am Alex, a guy in his 20s with autism who enjoys science and physics. After a search, I have joined, cos I want to be able to talk with like minded individuals who share the same interest in science as I do.

Also, I am currently working on figuring out the inner processes of a unit system such as the metric system, and what happens if the length of the second was changed, or the meter was defined as the distance that light travels in 1 billionth of a time unit. Apparently, the Planck's resistance came out of my hypothetical measurement system. I'll ask a question about that in the forums. Have a good day.

Thanks for having me,

- Alex B.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!

Likes AlexB23
fresh_42 said:
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!
Thank you Fresh. Have always been into learning about how the world works for over 15 years. :)

Hello guys, might quit this site in the next year or so. Not a good place to make friends with other folks who enjoy physics. PF is a little too serious and has many folks who are either retired or 19 year-olds deciding on majors.

Well, sorry to see you go.

Is it just possible that PF is what it is, and that if it isn't meeting your needs that's not a shortcoming of PF?

For example, what do you mean by making friends? I've been here 19 years and have made no friends. Lots of regulars I keep in touch with, but not outside the forum.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, sorry to see you go.

Is it just possible that PF is what it is, and that if it isn't meeting your needs that's not a shortcoming of PF?
It is probably me. But yeah, it was a great time here. Originally joined here cos I saw Planck's constant appear when doing dimensional analysis using fictional units of measurement for a sci-fi plot I was working on back earlier this year: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ry-of-a-fictional-measurement-system.1050104/

Have you started many thread about subjects you are intersted in? How you participated in many threads?

DaveC426913 said:
Have you started many thread about subjects you are intersted in? How you participated in many threads?
Not really. So many threads here are on stuff beyond early transcendental calculus.

What would you have PF do to make your time here more worthwhile?
What could you do to make your time here more worthwhile?

Sorry to see you go. I would agree that PF is fundamentally a serious place so that it can be about the science. I would also say that the more you participate, the greater sense of community that you will feel. You also need to recognize that this form of communication has limitations. There are time lags, people who connect from phones who will have short posts, people who will write pages, people who are on for long/short/frequent/infrequent periods of time, etc. Then you have to ask how these limitations mesh with the various personality types.

DaveC426913 said:
What would you have PF do to make your time her more worthwhile?
What could you do to make your time here more worthwhile?
I am not sure. Just mainly joined to ask about that one question about dimensional analysis. It would have been cool to make friends with other nerds who experiment with physics questions and folks around my age (mid-20s).

AlexB23 said:
I am not sure. Just mainly joined to ask about that one question about dimensional analysis. It would have been cool to make friends with other nerds who experiment with physics questions and folks around my age (mid-20s).
From your description, it does not sound like you have experimented with physics questions.

Frabjous said:
From your description, it does not sound like you have experimented with physics questions.
Agreed there. I could have asked "is it possible to run synthetic kerosene (made via renewable energy) through SOFC fuel cells to power an electric plane instead of using lithium batteries", but that is more of an engineering question.

AlexB23 said:
Agreed there. I could have asked "is it possible to run synthetic kerosene (made via renewable energy) through SOFC fuel cells to power an electric plane instead of using lithium batteries", but that is more of an engineering question.
Why didn’t you? There are engineering subforums.

Likes AlexB23
Frabjous said:
Why didn’t you? There are engineering subforums.
I could, but this site is meant more for actual engineering or physics problems (quantitative), not as much qualitative.

AlexB23 said:
I could, but this site is meant more for actual engineering or physics problems (quantitative), not as much qualitative.
You haven’t poked around enough. There are plenty of unusual questions that have been answered. Admittedly, they have a finite chance of not being answered, but that is not a reason not to put yourself out there.

Frabjous said:
You haven’t poked around enough. There are plenty of unusual questions that have been answered. Admittedly, they have a finite chance of not being answered, but that is not a reason not to try.
Agreed. This site seems cold, if that makes any sense.

AlexB23 said:
Agreed. This site seems cold, if that makes any sense.
I agree, but occasionally you see bursts of humanity.

Frabjous said:
I agree, but occasionally you see bursts of humanity.
Yeah, but that is the issue, it shouldn't happen once in a blue moon. Physics people tend to have colder personalities IMO.

AlexB23 said:
Yeah, but that is the issue, it shouldn't happen once in a blue moon. Physics people tend to have colder personalities IMO.
They are more rational and less demonstrative. This a site of experts who will try to answer your questions, so there is a heart to it.

Frabjous said:
They are more rational and less demonstrative. This a site of experts who will try to answer your questions, so there is a heart to it.
Well, a balance of rationality and warmth would make better sense. For me, I have a sense of humor, and also enjoy science.

Feels like this site is inhabited by Vulcans from Star Trek.

AlexB23 said:
Well, a balance of rationality and warmth would make better sense. For me, I have a sense of humor, and also enjoy science.

Well you then you should stay for seven years so that you can see the PF pon farr.

AlexB23 said:
1701649001975.png

https://www.startrek.com/news/live-long-and-prosper-jewish-history-month

Likes AlexB23
Frabjous said:
Well you then you should stay for seven years so that you can see the PF pon farr.
Haha. Good Trekkie reference, but these Vulcans on PF will probably not have a pon farr. :) And nor do I want to experience a pon farr, as Vulcan brain chemistry can change drastically.

Currently on Star Trek Picard (Final Season DVD) by the way, but TNG was the best.

AlexB23 said:
Haha. Good Trekkie reference, but these Vulcans on PF will probably not have a pon farr. :) And nor do I want to experience a pon farr, as Vulcan brain chemistry can change drastically.

Currently on Star Trek Picard (Final Season DVD) by the way, but TNG was the best.
I like the original and the early seasons of DS9. I prefer small stories.

Frabjous said:
I like the original and the early seasons of DS9. I prefer small stories.
I was too young to understand DS9 as a 15 year old nearly a decade ago, and thought the plot was boring cos the characters never did any "Trekking" or used starships to get to other star systems for a few seasons and felt like the show defeated the whole purpose of Star Trek. Maybe I'll try DS9 again next year. I am older and can now understand the interpersonal complexities better.

AlexB23 said:
Live long and prosper also.

Also, the link you have goes to Jewish heritage month, but that ended in May. ;) The Jewish definitely have a cool heritage though, and it is sad that they had to go through a lot of strife through their thousands of years of history. Well hey, most, if not all groups of people had to go through bad times.
There were Jewish kingdoms that you have probably never heard of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_states_and_dynasties
I have come across the Khazars several different times and Himyar once, which is when I went looking for a list of Jewish kingdoms.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes AlexB23 and fresh_42
AlexB23 said:
True, but everything else besides those are quite cold.
I don't find it so, but those are just your opinion and my opinion.

Likes AlexB23
phinds said:
I don't find it so, but those are just your opinion and my opinion.
Agreed. Our opinions may differ, but there are some cool people on this site such as Berkeman, and that is what we can both agree upon.

Likes phinds
AlexB23 said:
Agreed. Our opinions may differ, but there are some cool people on this site such as Berkeman, and that is what we can both agree upon.
JEEZ ... don't let him hear you say that, it'll go straight to his head :smile:

• Haha
Likes AlexB23
phinds said:
JEEZ ... don't let him hear you say that, it'll go straight to his head :smile:
Haha... He is a nice guy though, and you seem nice also.

Likes phinds

1. Who is Alex?

Alex is a common name and could refer to anyone. Without more context, it is difficult to determine who exactly Alex is.

2. Where did Alex come from?

Again, without more context, it is impossible to know where Alex originated from. It could be a person's name, a place, or something else entirely.

3. Why is Alex saying "Hello guys"?

Alex may be saying "Hello guys" as a friendly greeting or introduction. It is a common phrase used to address a group of people in a casual setting.

4. Is Alex a male or female?

As mentioned before, Alex is a common name and could belong to either a male or female. It is important to not make assumptions about someone's gender based on their name.

5. What is the purpose of this statement?

The purpose of saying "Hello guys, I am Alex" could be to introduce oneself, initiate a conversation, or simply to be friendly. Without more context, it is difficult to determine the exact purpose.