Navigating the World of REUs: A New User's Experience

In summary, navigating the world of Research Experience for Undergraduates (REUs) can be a daunting task for newcomers. These programs offer invaluable research opportunities for undergraduate students, but the application process can be overwhelming. It is important for new users to thoroughly research and understand the requirements and deadlines for REU programs, as well as to reach out to mentors and advisors for guidance. Building a strong application and being proactive in seeking out opportunities can greatly increase the chances of being accepted into an REU program. Ultimately, participating in an REU can provide valuable experience and open doors for future research and career opportunities.
tabyespo
How did you find PF?
Through many google seraches trying to answer homework problems.
Hello,
I am posting here for the first time to get some feedback on an REU. I am a community college student hoping to transfer. I have taken all of my lower division physics and math courses. I am very interested in taking more Math. I enjoy learning the theory first.

Funny enough, I never planned on studying physics. I actaully have always wanted to be a bio major. I loved science, but also history/philosphy. I think I enjoyed the idea of traveling and adevnture that came with field work, I knew little about physics and only thought of working in a sterile lab. I actually liked the travel and chemistry aspect of biology. When I got to community college, I made up for doing math poorly in high school and started to actually love math. I got less interested in traveling the jungles, savannahs and ocean, and more interested in traveling the major cities filled with history and great thinkers. I switched to physics becuase I love math and found that it answered my deepest questions about the univeres.

I struggle sometimes with understanding the math at first, but I get very excited to learn new math conepts even if I get stuck sometimes. I still plan on travelling, love history/philsophy, and hope to get to go to grad school in Europe.

I look up to Curie, Tesla, Schrodinger, Heisenburg, Maxwell, Pauli and all the other scientists around the turn on the century that helped devlope our modern day system of the atom.

I don't know what to say in an into post but hopefully I can get some help with my REU today. I will have more physics questions in the futrure.
(I usually post on reddit. Long time lurker though.)

Likes berkeman, BvU and Hamiltonian
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

sometimes posts are delayed and placed on our moderation queue to be reviewed by our site admins.

The reasons why are many but one common reason is a post that has been posted several times elsewhere on the internet and has been recorded in the akismet database.

Any post that looks somewhat like the recorded post gets flagged for review automatically meaning you will see a noticeable delay before they appear. The goal of Akismet is to reduce forum spam.

Patience while we check into it.

Jedi

Likes tabyespo
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF.

sometimes posts are delayed and placed on our moderation queue to be reviewed by our site admins.

The reasons why are many but one common reason is a post that has been posted several times elsewhere on the internet and has been recorded in the akismet database.

Any post that looks somewhat like the recorded post gets flagged for review automatically meaning you will see a noticeable delay before they appear. The goal of Akismet is to reduce forum spam.

Patience while we check into it.

Jedi
Thanks Jedi. It seems they are reviewing if it is bad to post my REU for critique. I have deleted it off of reddit. I just have never posted before and was hoping to get feedback today.