Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
WWGD said:
How about an Insight?
This is a physicists' website. I know how that works. You would start by neglecting air resistance and friction and conclude that you had no chance to stand up.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
This is a physicists' website. I know how that works. You would start by neglecting air resistance and friction and conclude that you had no chance to stand up.
Ok, I'll start my account from the get go.
I left my place with an initial velocity of 5ft/ second.
Now, just writer's block. Tbc.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
In order to simplify the equations of motion, you can substitute a spherical cow.

Likes BillTre
Borg said:
In order to simplify the equations of motion, you can substitute a spherical cow.
Bounces better?

BillTre said:
Bounces better?
I thought we were working on a group insight. Your turn. :oldtongue:

Congratulations, Shaun!

(Shaun shot a max at the shoot-out.)

fresh_42 said:
Congratulations, Shaun!

(Shaun shot a max at the shoot-out.)
A max? Hope it wasn't neither the sheriff nor the deputy.

Going to visit family on the train. It's three trains each way - one long range one and a short commuter service at each end.

I've just picked up the tickets, which are thin cardboard the size of a credit card with a magstripe. For three people, I have:
  • 3× outbound tickets valid on any service that day
  • 3× return tickets valid on any service in the following month
  • 3× seat reservations on a specific train for the long range leg of the outbound journey
  • 3× seat reservations on a specific train for the long range leg of the return journey
  • 3× seat reservations on a specific train for the first leg of the return journey informing me that there are no seat reservations on that service
  • 3× seat reservations on the a specific train for the last leg of the return journey informing me that there are no seat reservations on that service
  • 1× coupon telling me that I've collected 19 tickets
Confusingly, I have no tickets telling me that there they don't reserve seats on the outbound commuter services.

Why it takes 12 pieces of card to tell me I have six seats on two train services, I do not know.

I wonder what type of English language non-natives will learn from hearing Queen songs, with lines like :
" Tatterde malion and a yanketer.."
Or
" Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango"

They will believe Galileo was just a poor boy from a poor family.

I guess MS Word's editor isn't much better than auto (in)correct. Seems a letter to Prof. Escalera, got mangled into a letter to " Stair Master".

Ibix said:
Going to visit family on the train. It's three trains each way - one long range one and a short commuter service at each end.

I've just picked up the tickets, which are thin cardboard the size of a credit card with a magstripe. For three people, I have:
  • 3× outbound tickets valid on any service that day
  • 3× return tickets valid on any service in the following month
  • 3× seat reservations on a specific train for the long range leg of the outbound journey
  • 3× seat reservations on a specific train for the long range leg of the return journey
  • 3× seat reservations on a specific train for the first leg of the return journey informing me that there are no seat reservations on that service
  • 3× seat reservations on the a specific train for the last leg of the return journey informing me that there are no seat reservations on that service
  • 1× coupon telling me that I've collected 19 tickets
Confusingly, I have no tickets telling me that there they don't reserve seats on the outbound commuter services.

Why it takes 12 pieces of card to tell me I have six seats on two train services, I do not know.
Wow, multiply that by, what a billion yearly riders. Imagine the savings when rationalizing the system.

Can you IMAGINE the confusion/complexity if the boarding passes had to be read for all possible trip combinations to see if you were allowed on a particular trip??

Seems like the possible combinations is a factorial of the number of stations.

New rule:
If someone is doing a blackboard presentation and uses simultaneously letters u and v or
n and m or i and j, its legal to shoot them.

I can understand names like April, May, June. But I've recently seen women with first name ' January '. I have trouble seeing how it would elicit cozy feelings.

Last edited:
Brrr...
(or maybe her parents were trying to warm up after a hard harsh Winter.) :wink:

Old people need to stop giving advice on how to get jobs. I was told to hand out printed resumes and applications and each time they looked at me like I was stupid and reffered me to their online application portal.

Mayhem said:
Old people need to stop giving advice on how to get jobs.
They ain't gonna stop, but you don't have to listen to them.

Villagers Collected 'Sacred 'Stones' for Generations, They Turned Out to Be Fossilized Dinosaur Eggs: Report​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...e-fossilized-dinosaur-eggs-report/ar-AA1lLzUg

The people of Padlya in Madhya Pradesh have been digging up the palm-sized balls for generations, regarding them as sacred stones. Scientists determined that the objects were actually fossilized eggs laid by titanosaurs, a large long-necked dinosaur that lived during the Cretaceous period, between 145 to 66 million years ago. Research has revealed that the area's Narmada Valley may have been a breeding ground of the dinosaur based on 256 fossilized titanosaur eggs across 92 nesting sites.

New Late Cretaceous titanosaur sauropod dinosaur egg clutches from lower Narmada valley, India: Palaeobiology and taphonomy​

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0278242

• Wow
Likes DennisN
Neil deGrasse Tyson is making his cases just excellently.. (and Charles Barkley is very funny :biggrin:)

Neil deGrasse Tyson on aliens, UFOs and exploring space (CNN today, 1 hour ago)

(and, by the way, I have exactly the same view on these things as Tyson)

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
For the longest time I touted that "December 21st is the shortest day of the year. The days only get longer from here!"

Until a buddy pointed out: "False. All days are the same length."

And now I just can't ever say that anymore.

"December 21 has the shortest sunrise-sunset duration of the year." or
"December 21 has the shortest daylight duration of the year." just don't have the same ring.

DaveC426913 said:
For the longest time I touted that "December 21st is the shortest day of the year. The days only get longer from here!"ry rephrasing as:

December 21st
has the shortest daylight time
has
the fewest daylight hours

of the year.

Likes DaveC426913
The opposite solstice, but my dad went into work on June 22nd, put on his best broad Yorkshire accent, and observed "evenin's are drawin' in".

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Got this one yesterday:
It's Christmas, not an FDA inspection! Stop cleaning!
Big truth o0)

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Have good day all.

Likes BillTre
I went to the pub the other week and I was wet through as it had been raining.

Whilst ordering beer at my local, a Scottish man at the bar who I did not know looked at me and said that he was from Glasgow and some other things I could not quite understand.

What I did manage to decipher was this:

“I live in Glasgow and its always raining there, you want to try living in my world….”

Ok….Right.

If you want sympathy for being rained on all the time, Manchester really is not the place to come and find it.

(To put this in context, Manchester is known as the “Rainy City,” the reason is not straightforward or accurate and may be something to do with the industrial revolution rather than rain/rain days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/britain-s-rainiest-cities-revealed-good-news-for-londoners- )

Ah Manchester! A city I've driven past. Twice.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Ah Manchester! A city I've driven past. Twice.
I never said it was worth visiting, I said it was wet, not as wet as Cardiff wet but definitely moist.

Searching on Amazon for "balun, 1 to 9" ... Some results I got:

1703931290905.png

1703931321001.png

1703931336479.png

pinball1970 said:
I never said it was worth visiting...
In its defense, it wasn't for lack of wanting. Both times I was on my way from London to Scotland with no time for side-quests.

But I always sing the song..

Manchester England England
Across the Atlantic Sea
And I'm a genius genius
Cuz I believe in Claude
And I believe that Claude believes in God
But that's me (that's me)
That's me

DaveC426913 said:
Manchester England England
Across the Atlantic Sea
And I'm a genius genius
Cuz I believe in Claude
And I believe that Claude believes in God
But that's me (that's me)
That's me
Yes kind of strange lyrics but we get a mention! "Good morning star shine" and "Aquarius" still great songs today. They aged well

pinball1970 said:
Yes kind of strange lyrics but we get a mention! "Good morning star shine" and "Aquarius" still great songs today. They aged well
Gliddy glub gloopy
nibby nabby noopy
la la la lo lo!

Because that's just how we roll.

Likes pinball1970
Astronuc said:

Villagers Collected 'Sacred 'Stones' for Generations, They Turned Out to Be Fossilized Dinosaur Eggs: Report​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...e-fossilized-dinosaur-eggs-report/ar-AA1lLzUg

The people of Padlya in Madhya Pradesh have been digging up the palm-sized balls for generations, regarding them as sacred stones. Scientists determined that the objects were actually fossilized eggs laid by titanosaurs, a large long-necked dinosaur that lived during the Cretaceous period, between 145 to 66 million years ago. Research has revealed that the area's Narmada Valley may have been a breeding ground of the dinosaur based on 256 fossilized titanosaur eggs across 92 nesting sites.

New Late Cretaceous titanosaur sauropod dinosaur egg clutches from lower Narmada valley, India: Palaeobiology and taphonomy​

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0278242
Wonder what that ommelette would taste like.

Well happy new year to all. A few hours from now, it will be so for everyone worldwide.

Likes pinball1970
WWGD said:
Wonder what that ommelette would taste like.
Chicken eggs.

Likes WWGD
BillTre said:
Chicken eggs.
That's so next year(2024)

Likes BillTre