Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Physics news on Phys.org
Are they, Australian critters,in cahoots with the Travel Insurance crowd? ;).

berkeman said:
Venomous platypuses? Holy cannoli Batman! :oops:
Only the males!

WWGD said:
Or , equivalent, the calf that includes on its lower end, the foot that's up in the air, and not the calf that includes the foot touching the floor.

Phew, include that in the list of things much easier to show visually rather than in words.
Hope this clarified things.
In case you're interested, @Tom G , there are exercises to prevent issues with the sciatic nerve. Essentially, they come down to tightening every muscle in your body for a few seconds, then releasing. Doing some 10 reps , or more if you need.

WWGD said:
In case you're interested, @Tom G , there are exercises to prevent issues with the sciatic nerve. Essentially, they come down to tightening every muscle in your body for a few seconds, then releasing. Doing some 10 reps , or more if you need.
This is when I start looking for the kids at the family dinner in order to escape diseases, illness, and death, and have some fun making stupid things instead!

fresh_42 said:
This is when I start looking for the kids at the family dinner in order to escape diseases, illness, and death, and have some fun making stupid things instead!
Not sure I get your point.

How do you decide, given daily temperature data in two cities, which you would consider better? Max? Min? Median?

WWGD said:
How do you decide, given daily temperature data in two cities, which you would consider better? Max? Min? Median?
Ocean temperature? :wink:

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
For snow boarding? Waterskiing?

WWGD said:
Humidity.

Bystander said:
For snow boarding? Waterskiing?
Yes, good points, just what most would consider overall better whether. But not clear how to pin it down specifically.

WWGD said:
Yes, good points, just what most would consider overall better whether. But not clear how to pin it down specifically.
I think it depends on where you have been raised. My friend who grew up in NM considers everything below 25°C as bitter cold whereas my well-feel temperature depends heavily on humidity. I even like -10°C if it is dry and warm clothes are available.

I guess that the average human being considers anything around 21°C plus minus 3°C as an average temperature as desirable.

fresh_42 said:
I think it depends on where you have been raised. My friend who grew up in NM considers everything below 25°C as bitter cold whereas my well-feel temperature depends heavily on humidity. I even like -10°C if it is dry and warm clothes are available.

I guess that the average human being considers anything around 21°C plus minus 3°C as an average temperature as desirable.
So anyone outside of Southern California will be unhappy.
So, choose percent of days within that range?

Another measure is Heat Index, That is some (unknown to me) combination of temperature and relative humidity. Also sometimes called Feels Like.

It seems to be (or was?) used mostly by weather forecasters on the TV stations.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Tom.G said:
Another measure is Heat Index, That is some (unknown to me) combination of temperature and ralative humidity. Also sometimes called Feels Like.

It seems to be (or was?) used mostly by weather forecasters on the TV stations.
The joke was that San Diego 's forecast was the world's shortest: " Yes, tomorrow will be yet another perfect day 74 degrees, no clouds. Good night.".

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
How many counties are there in the USA? I mean, there are really, really many and definitely too many for a republic:
county (n.)
From late 14c. as "the domain of a count or earl."
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=county

Btw., Germany seems to be full of topologists. We call counties circles.

fresh_42 said:
How many counties are there in the USA? I mean, there are really, really many and definitely too many for a republic:

It was a trivia question a while back. It was 3,007, and the largest in the mainland US was San Bernardino in CA.

Do they really check that city road systems are strongly-connected? Doesn't seem like it at times.

fresh_42 said:

Can you go between all counties without crossing any road twice? Herr Euler would be able to tell.

WWGD said:
It was a trivia question a while back. It was 3,007, and the largest in the mainland US was San Bernardino in CA.
Does, or doesn't, include "shires, parishes, 'hundreds,'" and other local sub-units of various states/commonwealths?

WWGD said:
Do they really check that city road systems are strongly-connected? Doesn't seem like it at times.
I've seen a student residence that didn't have that property. They'd installed swipe card doors, but some had been installed the wrong way round. So there were places you could get to that you couldn't get back out of if you didn't have a card.

(Obviously that wasn't strictly true, as you could go out of a window and presumably the fire alarm released the doors (although you possibly shouldn't bet on that given that the doors were obviously fitted incorrectly).)

Likes WWGD and BillTre
Bystander said:
Does, or doesn't, include "shires, parishes, 'hundreds,'" and other local sub-units of various states/commonwealths?
Maybe not. There are townships, parishes ( LA*), etc.

* Either use L.A for Los Angeles or use the full name Louisiana.

A really bad headline -

Well-Preserved P-38 Fighter Jet Recovered in Italian Sea 80 Years After It Went Down During WWII​

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/well-preserved-p-38-fighter-170000877.html (may be edited/corrected at some point).
P-38_fighter_jet_headline.png

The P-38 Lightning was a twin prop aircraft. I don't recall the US or allies flying jet aircraft during WWII.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Ibix and berkeman
Don't know if it's just the latest scam going around, but I've received several emails from Eastern European women asking if I'm available, interested in marriage, asking for my " coordinates" : Yes/no, age, employment status, etc.

WWGD said:
Don't know if it's just the latest scam going around, but I've received several emails from Eastern European women asking if I'm available, interested in marriage, asking for my " coordinates" : Yes/no, age, employment status, etc.
Tell them you're George Santos.
Out of congress now, so available.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Astronuc, Borg and 3 others
Awkward moment. Split and fell at a ( somewhat of a ) stranger's place, had nothing sturdy to help lift myself up, as stranger walked on, me kissing a wall to lift myself.

WWGD said:
Awkward moment. Split and fell at a ( somewhat of a ) stranger's place, had nothing sturdy to help lift myself up, as stranger walked on, me kissing a wall to lift myself.
Kissing a wall? That reminds me of that American tourist in Israel who couldn't remember the name of that famous location in Jerusalem, so he asked the cab driver: "Can you drive me to that famous place here where the Jews mourn and cry?" He drove him to the Jerusalem tax office.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, OmCheeto, BillTre and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
Kissing a wall? That reminds me of that American tourist in Israel who couldn't remember the name of that famous location in Jerusalem, so he asked the cab driver: "Can you drive me to that famous place here where the Jews mourn and cry?" He drove him to the Jerusalem tax office.
More like fondling it.

Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
This means nothing without pictures or a YouTube video...

• Haha
Likes DennisN, fresh_42, BillTre and 1 other person
berkeman said:
This means nothing without pictures or a YouTube video...
How about an Insight?

• Haha
Likes berkeman