Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Windows 7 isn't that bad. I even think it's better than 10 and 11 with all these tons of corrections.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Today's the 100th anniversary of the founding of Turkey.
View attachment 334498

I'd celebrate with crispy bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato.
If one want to go against the flow embrace Discordianism:

- There is no Goddess but Goddess and She is Your Goddess. There is no Erisian Movement but The Erisian Movement and it is The Erisian Movement. And every Golden Apple Corps is the beloved home of a Golden Worm.

II - A Discordian Shall Always use the Official Discordian Document Numbering System.

III - A Discordian is Required during his early Illumination to Go Off Alone & Partake Joyously of a Hot Dog on a Friday; this Devotive Ceremony to Remonstrate against the popular Paganisms of the Day: of Catholic Christendom (no meat on Friday), of Judaism (no meat of Pork), of Hindic Peoples (no meat of Beef), of Buddhists (no meat of animal), and of Discordians (no Hot Dog Buns).

IV - A Discordian shall Partake of No Hot Dog Buns, for Such was the Solace of Our Goddess when She was Confronted with The Original Snub.

V - A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing what he reads.

IT IS SO WRITTEN! SO BE IT. HAIL DISCORDIA! PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED.

---- https://principiadiscordia.com/book/11.php

EDIT: On linux there's still the ddate program. Example output:

sbrothy@PAULINE:~$ ddate
Today is Setting Orange, the 45th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3190

If I create accounts for people I like putting fortune and ddate in there. If for nothing else then to encourage them to configure their logon config files (like .bashrc on BASH).

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
I know, I know. Windows 7 is about the only thing that will run on this old machine.
That is a good point. I know several folks who maintain legacy machines running unsupported Win7, but they don't use them on the internet. They tend to isolate them, since the OS is not getting security updates.

For internet, sounds like time for an upgrade of hardware and OS. I generally use FireFox for a browser on a non-Windows machine.

Astronuc said:
That is a good point. I know several folks who maintain legacy machines running unsupported Win7, but they don't use them on the internet. They tend to isolate them, since the OS is not getting security updates.

For internet, sounds like time for an upgrade of hardware and OS. I generally use FireFox for a browser on a non-Windows machine.
I can't afford an new machine. I am using FireFox though. I'm aware there are no security updates. I only use this machine for Chrome myyahoo.com email and to use here on PF.

Wonder what the general public would think of doctors if they'd seen some of the exercises in Bayesian probability. If 10% of the population had a disease, and the rate of false positives was 20%, i.e., if diagnostics were 80% correct, then, if one were told by a doctor they have the disease, the probability of a false positive would be 69%.

dlgoff said:
The link just takes me to a blank MSN page
Yup, welcome to the world of old geezers. That page also downloads here as a blank page... HOWEVER, if I hit Ctrl-U on the keyboard it shows about 6 pages of HTML.

I've switched to a successor to Firefox called Mypal because there were too many of the "blank page" responses in Firefox. I'm running version 28.13.0 but an update was recently released as version 28.13.1. (I'll get to it eventually).

Cheers,
Tom

There are estimates for the expiration date of food. But that's before it's been open/cut( as in fruits, vegetables). Is there some sort of PDE to describe its decay _ after_ it's been opened? Wonder if @BillTre Tre would know?

WWGD said:
There are estimates for the expiration date of food. But that's before it's been open/cut( as in fruits, vegetables). Is there some sort of PDE to describe its decay _ after_ it's been opened? Wonder if @BillTre Tre would know?
I would guess that this depends on the exposure to environmental fungi, usually mold, how much nutrition it contains for that fungi, usually sugar, and how much of conservation ingredients it has, usually some acid like citric acid or vinegar.

Congratulations, Noriaki Kasai (51), for both world records!

_nc_ohc=6_ZtI0LX1wAAX-Xn3Ln&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-2.jpg

Likes Astronuc
Two passenger planes hit over 800 mph on recent flights due to strong winds. That's over 200 mph more than a typical plane ride.
https://news.yahoo.com/2-passenger-planes-hit-over-155009611.html

• On Saturday, a Virgin Atlantic plane and a United Airlines plane reached speeds over 800 mph.
  • These are some of the highest-known recorded speeds for passenger flights.
  • Near record-breaking winds are to blame.

Cruising speed is about 550-600 mph, and a 250-200 mph tail wind gets the ground speed up to 800 mph. Nothing special here. The air speed was normal, and the aircraft were not traveling at 800 mph in the air, but with respect to ground. I've flown in airliners before where the speed was 600 to 650 mph - easy when traveling eastward with the jet stream. Sometimes, one arrives well in advance and sits on the tarmac waiting for a gate.

Astronuc said:
Two passenger planes hit over 800 mph on recent flights due to strong winds. That's over 200 mph more than a typical plane ride.
https://news.yahoo.com/2-passenger-planes-hit-over-155009611.html

Cruising speed is about 550-600 mph, and a 250-200 mph tail wind gets the ground speed up to 800 mph. Nothing special here. The air speed was normal, and the aircraft were not traveling at 800 mph in the air, but with respect to ground. I've flown in airliners before where the speed was 600 to 650 mph - easy when traveling eastward with the jet stream. Sometimes, one arrives well in advance and sits on the tarmac waiting for a gate.
Not sure whether I am allowed to say this here, but I think to remember that I've heard that the global jet streams are nowadays far more to the south than they used to be. Current measurement: Paris 49°F, Moscow 16°F. This can be explained by the sine curve of the Atlantic jet stream.

Likes Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
Not sure whether I am allowed to say this here
What? Too climate changey?

BillTre said:
What? Too climate changey?
Yes, forbidden subject. And without a reference. I saw it on tv.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
Wonder what the first impression of a first-time visitor to PF: a bit gory?
Screenshot_20240219_204359_Samsung Internet.jpg

Some of these jobs one applies to require, when uploading the CV, to grant permission to the company to access the place where the file is stored. They don't tell you for how long this access permission , nor does, e.g., Google drive ask you for how long. A bit disconcerting. Why not just upload the CV and get it over with? Why the need to grant open-ended access? It's happened several times. Don't know if it has to see with my own PC settings or the application process software.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
I doubt that would be legal in the EU. However, fighting for your rights is another issue.

Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:
I doubt that would be legal in the EU. However, fighting for your rights is another issue.
Now I need to figure out how Google drive gives general permissions, so I don't have to go file by file to check permissions individually. Whatever happened to the simpler idea of just #@$ uploading the CV and getting it over with.

Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
Some of these jobs one applies to require, when uploading the CV, to grant permission to the company to access the place where the file is stored. They don't tell you for how long this access permission , nor does, e.g., Google drive ask you for how long. A bit disconcerting. Why not just upload the CV and get it over with? Why the need to grant open-ended access? It's happened several times. Don't know if it has to see with my own PC settings or the application process software.
If they have the uploaded CV why would they even want assess to the file?
Sounds crazy to me, possibly illegal to require it.
If i were to do this, they would have to come and visit to assess my computer.

Likes WWGD
BillTre said:
After talking witha few people , it seems you're only giving access to the file that contains your CV, not the whole of the drive, directory. It kind of makes sense. Imagine if they have an opening and 200 people apply. Each CV is, what, 10Kb ? Then they'd have to store , 2000kb( 2MB). Now repeat for several other jobs and HR will be storing maybe 1000+ CVs on its servers and maybe up to 100MB . Instead, they just keep a link to your drive or directory. Still, I wonder if a hacker could break into the rest of the files that way.

WWGD said:
After talking witha few people , it seems you're only giving access to the file that contains your CV, not the whole of the drive, directory. It kind of makes sense. Imagine if they have an opening and 200 people apply. Each CV is, what, 10Kb ? Then they'd have to store , 2000kb( 2MB). Now repeat for several other jobs and HR will be storing maybe 1000+ CVs on its servers and maybe up to 100MB . Instead, they just keep a link to your drive or directory. Still, I wonder if a hacker could break into the rest of the files that way.
Lame reason in my opinion.
I have several 3 to 5 TB drives for backing up and photos.
That should not be a problem.

Likes fresh_42 and WWGD
BillTre said:
After talking witha few people , it seems you're only giving access to the file that contains your CV, not the whole of the drive, directory
BillTre said:
Lame reason in my opinion.
I have several 3 to 5 TB drives for backing up and photos.
That should not be a problem.
True, though I suspect they want to avoid handing the Network adin, HR, the burden of dealing with 1000's of CVs. But I still agree, they're talking a risk on behalf of the applicants.

I still run to the streets when I hear the beginning of the song " Shout".

WWGD said:
I still run to the streets when I hear the beginning of the song " Shout".
And the Beach Boys implemented me a Pawlov reflex when I hear the beginning of "Sloop John B", which by the way isn't their composition.

fresh_42 said:
And the Beach Boys implemented me a Pawlov reflex when I hear the beginning of "Sloop John B", which by the way isn't their composition.
Does it make you want to go home?

WWGD said:
Does it make you want to go home?
If it only were that! I'm seduced to howl with the wolves.

fresh_42 said:
If it only were that! I'm seduced to howl with the wolves.
So what's stopping you from doing it? Too cold outside?

fresh_42 said:
Your list cleared something up. I thought the name of the band was " Black guy Pees", not " Black-eyed peas". Thanks.
I wasn't familiar with that Anastacia.

Living in the Twilight Zone? I see and stop someone about to change the light bulb in a lamp, without unplugging it . She asked me, why, what's wrong? A third person looks at their phone and days " True, I just looked it up on ChatGpt". I know these people, they're not dumb people. I thought everyone above 10 years of age knew that.

Mis-read of the day: lactose.
You know, the one with the crocodile-logo... :doh:

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and fresh_42
Rive said:
Mis-read of the day: lactose.
You know, the one with the crocodile-logo... :doh:
I lactose because a crocodile bit them off?

Ibix said:
I lactose because a crocodile bit them off?
q=tbn:ANd9GcQvBN5wsMXxRjZWs1DWAqv2cIH4mcn5AuNwrw&s.png

Wonder if this site is legal:
Screenshot_20240226_011041_Samsung Internet.jpg

Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
Wonder if this site is legal:
View attachment 340875
"unpaywall.org" is an extension for Chrome available on Google's webstore.

1708924665407.png

Imagine what you could gain in a lawsuit against Google! Can't therefore be too illegal.

Likes BillTre and WWGD