Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
fresh_42 said:
Don't let Sigmund read this!
Let him and Carl together figure it out for me. Carl is Jung at heart.

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
German is easy. E.g. 'um-fah-ren is the opposite of um-'fah-ren.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
German is easy. E.g. 'um-fah-ren is the opposite of um-'fah-ren.
What is the opposite meaning?

1699905279572.png

um'fahren with emphasis on the second syllable means drive around and 'umfahren with emphasis on the first syllable means drive over. The ' are not written of course. I just used the phonetic sign that signals emphasis.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Of course, you can say "überfahren" for drive over which would be the literal translation. But "umfahren" for "drive over" is at least equally often used. It means "drive against something turning it down" like "umfallen" for "fall over".

Or fahrver nuggen (pretty sure I butchered the spelling). It means " Driving Satisfaction"
What's the deal with all the driving-related terms?
P.S Gefahrest Frau Daisy?

WWGD said:
Or fahrver nuggen (pretty sure I butchered the spelling). It means " Driving Satisfaction"
Only the pun that the same word can mean the opposite of itself. If you think of it, you can construct a lot of puns with the word drive in English, too.

fresh_42 said:
Only the pun that the same word can mean the opposite of itself. If you think of it, you can construct a lot of puns with the word drive in English, too.
I mainly remember " That drove her crazy. But it was such a short drive"

BillTre said:
I was driving home once in the early AM and came upon a deer in the road, not moving much.
So I slowly tried to drive past it.
When I got so that I was about even with the deer decided to run forward of my (I was driving very slowly) and then turned 90˚ across in front of the car. Going slow, I was able to stop. The deer then left.
Deer behavior can be erratic.
Deers are spooked easily

Likes BillTre
pinball1970 said:
Deers are spooked easily
There is a song all about driving without having the word drive once in its lyrics.

Musical differences in driving:
Deep Purple: " Highway Star".
Yes: " I'll do the Roundabout".

• Love
Likes pinball1970
WWGD said:
It is "Fahrvergnügen" (driving pleasure). I guess it has to do with ...
_nc_ohc=VMLcNYsMYvYAX_f9dL4&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-2.jpg

Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
fresh_42 said:
It is "Fahrvergnügen" (driving pleasure). I guess it has to do with ...
View attachment 335308
Is that an auto ban thing? That's scary

pinball1970 said:
Is that an auto ban thing?
The reality is, that it is only an "Autobahn" thing. Everywhere else are automatic speed limits, and often even below the standard level (50 in towns, 100 on country roads). And only 70% of our highways are without limits - theoretically. It's a matter of fact that we are literally in the middle of the continent, which means, we have the entire north-south and east-west traffic of the continent. I assume we have one of the highest traffic densities in Europe, especially heavy goods traffic, so you often cannot drive as fast as you were allowed to.
pinball1970 said:
That's scary
Not really. Have a look:

1699912342954.png

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Du kann funfundfunzig gefahren.

Nice, look at triple fun associated with driving : fun fun(d) fun zig.

WWGD said:
Du kann funfundfunzig gefahren.

Nice, look at triple fun associated with driving : fun fun(d) fun zig.
So? 50 are 31 mph, so you can mostly drive even faster, 35 mph.

I was surprised by the American figures. Almost three times as many deaths on American highways although they are a) equipped with an in my mind quite slow speed limit of usually 70 mph 🥱, and b) a far lower traffic density on average.

Wow, Duckduckgo may not track you, but there's a price to pay. Search results are 3rd tier at best. At least non-trivial ones.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
So? 50 are 31 mph, so you can mostly drive even faster, 35 mph.

I was surprised by the American figures. Almost three times as many deaths on American highways although they are a) equipped with an in my mind quite slow speed limit of usually 70 mph 🥱, and b) a far lower traffic density on average.
Still, do you compare how, by total miles driven?

All numbers are deaths per one billion kilometers driven.

fresh_42 said:
All numbers are deaths per one billion kilometers driven.
From what I understand is that, part of the reason may be due to it being politically impossible to make more rigorous driving tests for the masses. In several places there aren't public transportation alternatives , so one must drive their own car, else they won't be able to, well, do basic things like work, buy groceries without their private car. I guess we could test this if we had granulated data for cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, with public transportation, see if rates are lower than those without.

At 67°F here at my home in Kansas, all the Robins think it's spring.

dlgoff said:
At 67°F here at my home in Kansas, all the Robins think it's spring.
Yes, Robin Leach famously agreed.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
Saw a license plate frame today.

It said:
"This car glows blue,
in the presence of Orcs.

Was it glowing?

Likes BillTre
Borg said:
Was it glowing?
Not at that time.

Was it a police car? :oldtongue:

Likes BillTre
Borg said:
Was it glowing?
Would have been orcward if it was.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Tom.G, BillTre and 1 other person
Don't know if it was intended as a joke, but there was this guy complaining about having been named Joseph Ian( " Josephine") , rather than Ian Joseph.

How about a #$% Nobel Prize for the inventor of a pen that will continue writing a week after new, which won't fully squirt itself empty on your shirt/pant pocket? Even the fancy/expensive Parker pen I got as a gift once broke down after just a few weeks.

I have an expensive Pelikan set and it works perfectly.

fresh_42 said:
I have an expensive Pelikan set and it works perfectly.
Thanks, will give it a try. Were you Ian or Joseph ;).

In my incredibly boring quest for better coffee, I microwave ready-made coffee and milk separately. Now I'm considering putting the sugar in the milk before heating the milk
I tried putting sugar on the coffee before heating the coffee, but the combination of warmed up coffee+ sugar ended up bitter.

I won't try Stevia , it's had some, erm uncomfortable side effects.

I recently read an article in the Oct. issue of Scientific American that talks about how researchers are training Large Language Models on animal sounds (birds, whales, etc.). The expectation is that they'll eventually be able to communicate with them in their own language.

I think that this is great. We'll finally know the answer to "Who's a good boy?". :oldtongue:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, difalcojr and fresh_42
Singing Lessons ad:
Immanuel Kant but Chakha Khan, and so can you.

Likes BillTre
Borg said:
I recently read an article in the Oct. issue of Scientific American that talks about how researchers are training Large Language Models on animal sounds (birds, whales, etc.). The expectation is that they'll eventually be able to communicate with them in their own language.

I think that this is great. We'll finally know the answer to "Who's a good boy?". :oldtongue:
Is Willy free? Put out an APB.