Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Albuquerque was always a bit of an oddball... :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
A friend of mine is currently in NM, that's why.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
A friend of mine is currently in NM, that's why.
Well, it wasn't meant to be funny, but now that I think about it, yes, it remains true if you read it like that. Her opinions are indeed what you would call 'unamerican' although she grew up in NM and is visiting her family.

fresh_42 said:
Or do what I did. The clock on my phone reads:
home - 1924
Detroit - 1324
San Francisco - 1024
New York - 1324
Chicago - 1224
Wellington - 0724
Canberra - 0524
Albuquerque - 1125
Honolulu - 0824
North Pole????

• Haha
Likes Khi Choy Xichdu and BillTre
WWGD said:
North Pole????
Why should I have the time of people swimming in cold water?

• Haha
Likes Khi Choy Xichdu and pinball1970
Weird Al is so... weird. :oldtongue:
If I knew she was my cousin we never would have dated
What to do now? Should I go ahead and propose
And get hitched and have kids with 11 toes
And move to Alabama where that kind of thing is tolerated?

berkeman said:
Sounds like it.

Last edited:
I saw someone who looked like Tony Robbins, the NLP/Motivational Speaker guy. But this guy was quite shorter than him ( Robbins is around 6'10") . I thought of him as Tony Robbins ) _ before_ he awakened the giant within.

Dick's House of Sports store seems an awful waste of space. These stores are huge with very high ceilings and lots of wide walking areas. There were something like eight cash registers and only one or two actual cashiers.
Displays and aesthetics for the stores are awesome. It's a truly grand experience. I love walking through their stores. Still, I wonder how they can make money given the costs to maintain that space vs. foot traffic/sales. I went at 6PM Friday and the place was practically empty.

kyphysics said:
Dick's House of Sports store seems an awful waste of space. These stores are huge with very high ceilings and lots of wide walking areas. There were something like eight cash registers and only one or two actual cashiers.
Displays and aesthetics for the stores are awesome. It's a truly grand experience. I love walking through their stores. Still, I wonder how they can make money given the costs to maintain that space vs. foot traffic/sales. I went at 6PM Friday and the place was practically empty.
Maybe they got some a discount on the rent of the space as an incentive to set up shop at that Mall?

• Haha
Likes Khi Choy Xichdu and kyphysics
It seems nsync will be touring in India . I suggest they rename their hit song " Bye bye bye " to " Bye bye bhai".

WWGD said:
Maybe they got some a discount on the rent of the space as an incentive to set up shop at that Mall?
Interesting. Could be. :smile:

Likes WWGD
kyphysics said:
Interesting. Could be. :smile:
I endorse that! :oldbiggrin:
....\*/\*/\*/\*/....

If I ever find myself teased to the point of being unable to bear it, I will dash outside in search of a spacious area where I can laugh heartily. Sitting in my bedroom won't suffice. As I've grown older, I no longer dance myself. Instead, I find joy in observing your dance moves. :approve:

1st result as hoped for. Same result in the 2nd would be nice, but I expect a high-score game.

Likes berkeman
How about those Kansas City Chiefs? Going to Super Bowl 58. :smile:

dlgoff said:
How about those Kansas City Chiefs? Going to Super Bowl 58. :smile:
Eye candy! :wink:

• Love
Likes dlgoff
I'm enjoying the San Fran / Detroit game. :oldbiggrin:

Likes dlgoff
Correction: I was enjoying it. It's a game now.

Likes fresh_42
Borg said:
I'm enjoying the San Fran / Detroit game. :oldbiggrin:
I do not. Not anymore.

But all 3 4 scores happened while I was answering a post here. I turn back watching again.

At least my prediction was right: many scores.

Last edited:
Wonder how many failed attempts have happened of people trying to close dialog boxes after Twitter renamed itself to X.
" Ah, another $%# message box. Let me close that...what?

After 15 minutes trying to explain to this older lady why they called it Internet. " Actually, because it was invented by Henry Internet". Phew.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42, BillTre, Ibix and 1 other person
Don't forget his partner John Https.

Likes fresh_42, WWGD and BillTre
You are both wrong. It actually popped out of a blackhole created at CERN.

Likes WWGD
fresh_42 said:
You are both wrong. It actually popped out of a blackhole created at CERN.
Wasn't there someone trying to prevent the operation of an accelerator on that basis, that it may bring about a black hole?

WWGD said:
Wasn't there someone trying to prevent the operation of an accelerator on that basis, that it may bring about a black hole?
IIRC then there was an American trying to achieve this by legal means.

fresh_42 said:
IIRC then there was an American trying to achieve this by legal means.
Yes, I lost track of it.

I almost spit my drink while tutoring.
Student was working with a symmetric matrix , so that ##P^{T}=P##. Then, while working with projections, he noticed ##P^2=P##. From which he concludes...
##T=2!!##.
Gauss is shaking in his grave. I felt like I died a little, at least the Math part of my life, personality.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
Many people don't think of it, but nursing is one of the most physically demanding professions. Well, at least, hospital nursing is that way. Primary care isn't at all.

I spoke with some "hardcore" hospital nurses who laughed (literally with a dismissive tone) at PCP nursing. They said they'd never do it, because of the pace and demands. They thought it was too slow and "soft." They actually like the rush of working as a hospital RN. Who knew there exist "medical action junkies"?

The lifting and moving around of immobile patients constantly takes tremendous physical endurance (and strength). Nursing shifts are 12 hours. Hospital RNs work 3 days a week only (that is considered full-time). But, it's grueling. And it's often thankless and dirty. My father's male nurse said he literally cleans/wipes at least one patient's butt per shift practically every day he works. They get 4-6 patients a shift on average (never more than 6 and on a very, very lucky day maybe 2 or 3). Most are immobile/weak and end up pooping or peeing all over the bed at least once during their stay. That works out statistically that every single hospital RN is often wiping someone's butt or urinary area once a shift and having to change their sheets (needing to roll, shift, and lift patients).

Many RNs suffer back injuries and retire from the field and/or come back but have long-term health complications. Many people don't realize this. But, it's very common to suffer a back injury as a hospital nurse.

Likes WWGD
kyphysics said:
Many people don't think of it, but nursing is one of the most physically demanding professions. Well, at least, hospital nursing is that way. Primary care isn't at all.

I spoke with some "hardcore" hospital nurses who laughed (literally with a dismissive tone) at PCP nursing. They said they'd never do it, because of the pace and demands. They thought it was too slow and "soft." They actually like the rush of working as a hospital RN. Who knew there exist "medical action junkies"?

The lifting and moving around of immobile patients constantly takes tremendous physical endurance (and strength). Nursing shifts are 12 hours. Hospital RNs work 3 days a week only (that is considered full-time). But, it's grueling. And it's often thankless and dirty. My father's male nurse said he literally cleans/wipes at least one patient's butt per shift practically every day he works. They get 4-6 patients a shift on average (never more than 6 and on a very, very lucky day maybe 2 or 3). Most are immobile/weak and end up pooping or peeing all over the bed at least once during their stay. That works out statistically that every single hospital RN is often wiping someone's butt or urinary area once a shift and having to change their sheets (needing to roll, shift, and lift patients).

Many RNs suffer back injuries and retire from the field and/or come back but have long-term health complications. Many people don't realize this. But, it's very common to suffer a back injury as a hospital nurse.
My take is that just about any job that's done well, with possibly few exceptions, requires a considerable effort.

I guess I naively, implicitly , assumed blocking an address meant no more messages would arrive from that source. Rather than these being sent to the junk folder.

Interesting data
Screenshot_20240131_151415_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240131_151432_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is there a better place to share it here ?

Likes BillTre
The cost of supporting an elderly dependent seems comparable to raising a child. I think raising a child probably costs more, but there are many overlaps.

Body wipes - good ones - cost quite a bit. Wet Ones are $3.29 at target. Cheaper fare at Target may run $1.99, but those cloths are relatively dry (cannot get the job done) and are of lower quality (rip more easily). Diapers aren't too expensive, but add up over time. Incontinence of an adult is much more problematic than with a small baby. The amount of urine and feces is much greater and usually a simple diaper will not do. We've had to use women's pads - such as Poise or Maxi(mum) - inserted into a diaper, which is on top of a bed absorbent pad. That is three layers of padding right there and doesn't factor in clothing (and/or sheets) that is soiled that either must be thrown away or laundered quickly. Good bed pads can be costly over time. Medline Ultrasorbs (which hospitals use and can be bought on Amazon) run 25 (pack) for $39.99. Then you have things like condom catheters and urine bags, which usually run something like $1.50/unit and $8/2000 ML, respectively (for known/good brands). Trash bags are a must. You will have LOTS of soiled and dirty stuff to dispose of, but they also are great at serving as a protective layer.

You better have good insurance with a low deductible. Otherwise, medical bills will potentially crush you.

Walkers, rollators, wheelchairs, bedside commodes, raised toilet seats and toilet handles, shower benches, hospital beds, movement sensors, and the like are sort of the equivalent of baby/toddler protection/convenience devices (just for the elderly, instead).

If you go the nursing home/assisted living/memory care unit route, expect $75,000+/year for a good facility. We were warned by many medical staff that lower-rated and cheaper facilities can be horrible. They are understaffed and the staff that exist often don't and can't do a good job. Bed-bound residents can go months without being turned and get wounds so gruesome they come out of a horror movie. I was told by one hospital nurse, the worst case she ever saw was a woman coming from a nursing home where the staff didn't turn her in bed (or, at least, not enough) and she had a bedsore go so out of hand that the entire skin on her lower back was simply black. And in some areas, the tissue had died and rotted so bad that you could flat out see white bone. It was horrific and she said it was the proudest she ever felt nursing that woman back to health. The entire hospital floor staff cheered after many weeks when that woman was able to heal and finally "go home" (hopefully to better care). These $50,000 and below facilities in my area can be hit or miss (mostly miss). $75,000+/year is where the care is very good - adequate staffing, actual RNs (not just "skilled nurses"), good amenities, professional/nice/caring staff, nice facilities, etc.

Senior health aides are another option, but run typically $30/hour with 4-hour minimums. That's $120/day at minimum. That's the equivalent of a babysitter for a child.

Medicare is pretty great overall. I'm shocked how cheap coverage is for equivalent stuff I'd have to pay for as a non-senior. The premiums are cheap, deductibles are low, and coverage is fantastic in most cases.

I couldn't remember where my wallet was. But in a recent conversation prior to that, I remembered the earth weighed ## 5.977 \times 10^{24} kg ##. Even though I never weighed it myself!

WWGD said:
I couldn't remember where my wallet was. But in a recent conversation prior to that, I remembered the earth weighed ## 5.977 \times 10^{24} kg ##. Even though I never weighed it myself!
Yeah. I can sing along (for imprecise values of sing) to music I haven't heard in a decade. But coming back from the shops with what I actually wanted if I forget the shopping list? Crazy talk.

Likes berkeman and WWGD
Ibix said:
Yeah. I can sing along (for imprecise values of sing) to music I haven't heard in a decade. But coming back from the shops with what I actually wanted if I forget the shopping list? Crazy talk.
Cadences! The difference is cadences!

Ibix said:
It also took me embarrassingly long to change my accounting for very large numbers. So that ##2\times 5.977 \times 10^{24} \neq 11.954 \times 10^{48} ##

fresh_42 said:
Cadences! The difference is cadences!
Unless you're whistling .