Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
fresh_42 said:
Call the customs service, they are faster.
Customer is customerer than custom!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Customer is customerer than custom!
Sure? Customs has even service dogs!

fresh_42 said:
Sure? Customs has even service dogs!
Was has du geracht?

fresh_42 said:
Nothing, but I drank Federweisser.
If you drank it quickly, it was Federweisser Express. Which reminds me, I need to send a package.

WWGD said:
Somehow , every single time I'm on the phone waiting for costumer service, I'm toldthe expected wait is longer than usual. Every time.
Yes, because in their customer brochures and in their annual reports, they always say that their usual phone response time is very fast.

Then they lie about the lie they told. That's what you are hearing.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and WWGD
I guess it's sort of like Garrison Keiler's Lake Wobegon, were all people are above average.

WWGD said:
I guess it's sort of like Garrison Keiler's Lake Wobegon, were all people are above average.
Exactly

Likes WWGD
I accidentally bought a shirt that's like 3 sizes too big. I guess I could return it or gain like 50 pounds.

I just missed hitting a deer on the way to work this morning at 4am. I drive very carefully and mostly under the speed limit because I see so many each morning. I'll have to check my dashcam tonight but I didn't see him until he was almost past the front of the car, trotting across the road. A 1/2 second difference and I would have hit him square on. As it was, I had to swerve hard left to avoid him. Very close call. That definitely got the adrenaline going this morning.

Likes BillTre
Way back I could walk 40-60km even with a backpack.
Just noticed that now I can do only 20-30, and my weight is just like way back with that backpack :cry:

Borg said:
I just missed hitting a deer on the way to work this morning at 4am. I drive very carefully and mostly under the speed limit because I see so many each morning. I'll have to check my dashcam tonight but I didn't see him until he was almost past the front of the car, trotting across the road. A 1/2 second difference and I would have hit him square on. As it was, I had to swerve hard left to avoid him. Very close call. That definitely got the adrenaline going this morning.
I once had a similar encounter. I met a big stag standing in the middle of a small road through a mountainous forest on my way home on an early winter evening. I was lucky to be slow because snow was all around, road included. If it had rained instead ...

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
I was driving home once in the early AM and came upon a deer in the road, not moving much.
So I slowly tried to drive past it.
When I got so that I was about even with the deer decided to run forward of my (I was driving very slowly) and then turned 90˚ across in front of the car. Going slow, I was able to stop. The deer then left.
Deer behavior can be erratic.

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
I posted the video in the Animal Lovers thread.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
I was driving home once in the early AM and came upon a deer in the road, not moving much.
So I slowly tried to drive past it.
When I got so that I was about even with the deer decided to run forward of my (I was driving very slowly) and then turned 90˚ across in front of the car. Going slow, I was able to stop. The deer then left.
Deer behavior can be erratic.
Maybe the headlight effect, of deer not being able to process it, understand it?

Not sure what Verstraete found. Was it R(4,5) , the Ramsey number associated with the pair (4,5)?

Saw this online too late. I could have gone to a Halloween party dressed as Chat GPT. :oldtongue:

I apologize, but as an ai language model....jpg

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
The step-up in difficulty from undergraduate to graduate level is ridiculous.

Mayhem said:
The step-up in difficulty from undergraduate to graduate level is ridiculous.
And your point is ... ?

Likes fresh_42
phinds said:
And your point is ... ?
I must have one in a "Random Thoughts" thread?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Mayhem said:
I must have one in a "Random Thoughts" thread?
Oh. No, I guess not.

I would have thought this to be part of design 101: For bathrooms, a place where you'll likely find water( at best ;, or some liquids), the floor material shouldn't be slick, but rather have some type of " bumps" for friction, to avoid slipping.
I remember how horrible this bathroom was in a place I staid, where both the tub and the floor of the bathroom were incredibly slick.

Strange article from " Quartz" site. Seemed legit, not a joke
Screenshot_20231103_175215_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_175215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_175215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 27
Awkward/Annoying: You walk into a coffee shop with two other people. Then they tell you at the last minute they won't be having anything.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 9.43.33 AM.png

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and WWGD
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 9.33.31 AM.png

• Haha
Likes phinds
Happy Birthday/Anniversary to our Polish friends: 11/11. Wish I had celebrated it on 2011, for the triple 11.

phinds said:
Random thought: I miss Evo.
WWGD said:
Me too. Anyone know where she is?
Borg said:
Hopefully not a self-inflicted mishap with her ban hammer. :olduhh:

But yeah, I haven't seen her in a while either. Hope she's doing OK.
Good news, @Evo is back in-country. She was out of the country in very rural areas with no Internet coverage (and yes, with a chainsaw riding in the bed of a pickup truck, as usual).

Thanks for asking! :smile:

• Informative
Likes Klystron, OmCheeto, WWGD and 2 others
Can we hope to hear from her?

EDIT: scratch that. Of COURSE we can wish for it. What I mean is can we expect it?

phinds said:
Can we hope to hear from her?

EDIT: scratch that. Of COURSE we can wish for it. What I mean is can we expect it?
She's looking for a chainsaw sharpener... :wink:

Hopefully she'll post in the main forums soon. Right now we are still catching up in the Mentor forums.

Likes OmCheeto and phinds
It is quite a bit eerie. YouTube does know my preferences better than I do. They even manage to make a list of songs that I like but do not really belong together.

Likes pinball1970
This guy looked a lot like Einstein, but you still could tell it wasn't him. Maybe his Nick should be ##Mc^2-1##?

fresh_42 said:
It is quite a bit eerie. YouTube does know my preferences better than I do. They even manage to make a list of songs that I like but do not really belong together.
I ask Microsoft to remind me of my Mom's birthday, or where I left my keys.
Just like Santa, they turn the whole " He knows when you are sleeping, he knows now when you're awake" into a cringe song.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes phinds
I've taken a strange fascination at how coffee slowly poured into milk changes the color of milk.

WWGD said:
I've taken a strange fascination at how coffee slowly poured into milk changes the color of milk.
Don't let Sigmund read this!