What is the difference between SWL and WLL in rigging for the film industry?

• Thread starter dontupper
  • Start date
In summary, SWL stands for Safe Working Load and WLL stands for Working Load Limit. The main difference between SWL and WLL is that SWL refers to the maximum weight that can be safely lifted or carried by a rigging system, while WLL refers to the maximum weight that can be applied to a specific component of the rigging system. SWL and WLL are determined by taking into account various factors such as the strength and capacity of the rigging equipment, the angle and direction of the load, and the safety factors required for the specific job or task. No, SWL and WLL cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to know the difference between SWL and WLL in rigging for the film industry
dontupper
How did you find PF?
I came across the forum while searching for answers on the strengths of various items.
Hi there,

I am obviously new to the forum, but I am looking forward to being a part of the experience that exists here. Although, my knowledge of physics is more rudimentary than some members, my desire to learn new things is always prevalent. However, I do work in the world of Rigging for the film industry and know my way around this world very well, but there are always new problems to be tackled that the regular means of doing things won't work. This is how I found myself here... Everything we use has WLL stamped on them, and we have engineering schematics for so many items, yet I still would love to know more and I hope to find help here...

Thanks in advance!

Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We are very glad to have practitioners as members.

dontupper said:
However, I do work in the world of Rigging for the film industry
Sounds fun! I did some reading about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigger_(entertainment) :smile:
dontupper said:
Everything we use has WLL stamped on them, and we have engineering schematics for so many items
What's WLL?

berkeman said:
What's WLL?
what he said (very small).jpg

@dontupper, please keep in mind that we are not mind readers.

Likes phinds
It's an abbreviation stamped on thousands of items world wide to show the ratings of things like shackles, eye bolts etc. I didn't come up with it, but I apologize for assuming that people would be familiar with it.

Likes phinds
dontupper said:
Working Load Limit
Well, Have never seen it in Australia or New Zealand
the one usually seen is SWL ... Safe Working Load

Likes berkeman
I have seen SWL as many times as I have seen WLL. Well acquainted with both.

Related to What is the difference between SWL and WLL in rigging for the film industry?

1. What do SWL and WLL stand for?

SWL stands for Safe Working Load, while WLL stands for Working Load Limit.

2. What is the main difference between SWL and WLL?

The main difference between SWL and WLL is that SWL refers to the maximum weight that can be safely lifted or carried by a rigging system, while WLL refers to the maximum weight that can be applied to a specific component of the rigging system.

3. How are SWL and WLL determined?

SWL and WLL are determined by taking into account various factors such as the strength and capacity of the rigging equipment, the angle and direction of the load, and the safety factors required for the specific job or task.

4. Can SWL and WLL be used interchangeably?

No, SWL and WLL cannot be used interchangeably. SWL is a general term used to indicate the overall safe working capacity of a rigging system, while WLL refers to the specific weight limit of a particular component within that system.

5. Why is it important to know the difference between SWL and WLL in rigging for the film industry?

It is important to know the difference between SWL and WLL in rigging for the film industry to ensure the safety of the crew and equipment on set. Using the wrong weight limit can result in accidents, injuries, and damage to expensive equipment.