What is the life of an independent astrophysicist like?

• Thread starter AboveSky
  • Start date
In summary, the life of an independent astrophysicist is one of constant research, exploration, and collaboration. They spend their days studying the mysteries of the universe and developing theories to explain its phenomena. They often work independently, conducting experiments and analyzing data, but also collaborate with other scientists and institutions to further their understanding. Their work is challenging and requires a deep understanding of mathematics, physics, and astronomy. They may also have the opportunity to travel to different observatories and conferences to present their findings and expand their knowledge. Overall, the life of an independent astrophysicist is one of curiosity, dedication, and a never-ending quest for knowledge about the universe.
AboveSky
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hi there,

I have both an engineer diploma and a PhD in astrophysics. After having worked as an engineer in many fields, I had the opportunity to stop working 10 years ago, when I was still 40. 🥳 I then took the opportunity to spend 2 years in a full-time professional music school, then started to split my life between science and music.

Now, I collaborate (mainly from home, as I have change country several times) as a volunteer/independent with astrophysicists working in institutes. At the moment, I am close to submit a paper as a first author, the first of a series of 2. I also spend some time learning more theoretical physics (during my astrophysics masters and PhD, there have been lots of things belonging to theoretical and mathematical physics I didn't have the opportunity to study, except for general relativity). I have started a YouTube channel as a motivation to dig into what I know and learn new material. It's only the beginning and videos are in French for the moment, but I'm thinking about redoing my videos in English at some point. At last, I add some music from time to time on my other YouTube channel. :smile:

Happy to be there! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes hutchphd, PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF; it's good to have you here. :smile:

Likes AboveSky
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF; it's good to have you here. :smile:
Cheers mate! 😊