Hydrostatic Force Problem - Calculus

In summary: Ok, so I'll just type it out.In summary, a semi-retarded individual is trying to calculate hydrostatic force and is asking for help from anyone willing to provide it. He is offering to pay for anyone's help.
HanRam

Homework Statement

Find hydrostatic force on the vertical side of the tank that has the shape of the region bounded by the curves y=2x2, y=8. Assume that the tank is full of water.

Homework Equations

F=pgAd (force = density*gravity*area*depth)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to set up and evaluate an integral, and I believe it must be evaluated from 0 to 8, since the top of the tank is at y=8. Other than this though, I have been unable to set up the integral that I need. Any help as to how the integral would be set up would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
After hours working at this problem, I think I may have figured it out, but I'm not at all sure that I did it correctly. Anyway, here is what I came up with.

[tex]\int(1000)(9.8)(8-2x^2)(2x)dx[/tex]

After calculating this integral from 0 to 2 (I did this because x=0 corresponds to the bottom, and x=2 corresponds to the top), I multiplied my result by 2 to compensate for the fact that I was only integrating for the right side (0 to 2), and by multiplying by 2, that would cover the left side (-2 to 0).

My final result was 313600 N. Can anybody tell me if I went wrong somewhere? (Which I have a feeling I did).

You know anything about calculating hydrostatic force? Wanna help me calculate hydrostatic force here? No? I could use a little help. I need a little assistance. I never took a calculus class, and I need a little help. Ok, I'm just coming flat out and saying 'help me'. Anybody want to help a semi-retarded individual calculate hydrostatic force? 25, 30 dollars. 30 dollars to calculate hydrostatic force. 35 dollars to calculate hydrostatic force right now.

I'll give you 10 dollars for a typed response. 10 dollars. Anybody want to make 10 dollars and respond virtually? No?

Related to Hydrostatic Force Problem - Calculus

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid at rest on an object immersed in the fluid. It is caused by the weight of the fluid above the object and is always perpendicular to the surface of the object.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

Hydrostatic force is calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the object in the fluid, and A is the area of the object in contact with the fluid.

3. What is the difference between hydrostatic force and hydrodynamic force?

Hydrostatic force is caused by the weight of the fluid above the object, while hydrodynamic force is caused by the movement of the fluid around the object. Hydrostatic force is only present in fluids at rest, while hydrodynamic force can be present in both moving and still fluids.

4. How is the direction of hydrostatic force determined?

The direction of hydrostatic force is always perpendicular to the surface of the object. This means that it is always directed away from the object and towards the surface of the fluid.

5. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is used in many real-life applications, including the design of dams, ships, and submarines. It is also used in hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and elevators, and in the measurement of blood pressure and fluid levels in the body.