Lambda96
Homework Statement
Calculate ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I need to check whether the limit of the following function exists or not
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-09 um 19.42.37 Kopie.png
I have now proceeded as follows to look at the right-sided and left-sided limit i.e. ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}}## and ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0^{-}}}##

To do this, I drew up a list in which I move from 1 closer and closer to 0 and for the left-hand side from -1 towards 0 and got the following:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-10 um 20.27.22.png

As you can see, the function tends from the right towards ##\infty## and from the left towards ##- \infty## As the two values are therefore not equal, the function has no limit at the point ##x=0##

My question, can I prove it this way, or is there a way to prove it more precisely mathematically?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-09 um 19.42.37 Kopie.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-09 um 19.42.37 Kopie.png
    7 KB · Views: 19
Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
Homework Statement: Calculate ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}##
Relevant Equations: none

Hi,

I need to check whether the limit of the following function exists or not
View attachment 338389I have now proceeded as follows to look at the right-sided and left-sided limit i.e. ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}}## and ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0^{-}}}##

To do this, I drew up a list in which I move from 1 closer and closer to 0 and for the left-hand side from -1 towards 0 and got the following:

View attachment 338390

As you can see, the function tends from the right towards ##\infty## and from the left towards ##- \infty## As the two values are therefore not equal, the function has no limit at the point ##x=0##

My question, can I prove it this way, or is there a way to prove it more precisely mathematically?
If you're asked to prove that the limit exists or doesn't exist, calculating a table of values doesn't do the job. What you would need to do in this case is a sort of modified ##\delta - \epsilon## argument. In this case you would need to show that for any given (large number) M, there is a (small number) ##\delta > 0## such that whenever ##|x - 0| < \delta##, where ##x \ne 0##, then ##|\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}| > M##. As a side note, ##\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}= = \cot(x)##.

Likes MatinSAR and Lambda96
Still, it seems you're working on the extended Reals, if ##\mathbb R## with the line on top *. Edit: Then the limit of infinity could exist.

*Sorry, don't know how to Latex it in.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and Lambda96
WWGD said:
Still, it seems you're working on the extended Reals, if ##\mathbb R## with the line on top *. Then the limit exists and it's infinity.

##\overline{\mathbb R}##

Likes MatinSAR, Lambda96 and WWGD
WWGD said:
Still, it seems you're working on the extended Reals, if ##\mathbb R## with the line on top *. Then the limit exists and it's infinity.

That is true for the projectively extended reals. The normal extended reals have two infinities and no limit here.

Likes Lambda96
Office_Shredder said:
That is true for the projectively extended reals. The normal extended reals have two infinities and no limit here.
Yes, not this expression, but either of ## \infty, -\infty ## are possible limits in
##\overline {\mathbb R}##

Likes Lambda96
Thank you Mark44, WWGD, Orodruin and Office_Shredder for your help

I have now proceeded as Mark44 described:

The following applies ##|x-0|< \delta \rightarrow x < \delta## and ##\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}>M \rightarrow \cot(x)>M##

Then I calculated the following

##\cot(x) > M \qquad | \text{Form reciprocal value}##
##\frac{1}{\cot(x)} < \frac{1}{M} \qquad |\frac{1}{\cot(x)}= \tan(x)##
##\tan(x) < \frac{1}{M} \qquad | \arctan(...)##
##x < \arctan(\frac{1}{M})##

It then follows that for ##\cot(x) > M##, ##\delta## must be chosen as follows ##\delta = \arctan(\frac{1}{M})##

Lambda96 said:
Calculate ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}##
You can use Taylor series ...

##cos(x)=1-\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^4}{4!}-\frac{x^6}{6!}+\frac{x^8}{8!}-...##
##sin(x)=x-\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-\frac{x^7}{7!}+\frac{x^9}{9!}-...##

... and approximate with first members of two series ...
(the same as replacing functions cos(x) and sin(x) with their tangent straight lines for x=0)

##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}
=\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0}} \frac{1}{x}##

From the left side ##x \to -0## you can get
##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to -0}} \frac{1}{x}
=\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to -\infty}} \frac{1}{ \frac{1}{x}}
=\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to -\infty}} x =-\infty##

Also from the right side ##x \to +0## you can get
##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to +0}} \frac{1}{x}
=\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to +\infty}} \frac{1}{ \frac{1}{x}}
=\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to +\infty}} x =+\infty##

Cotangent function is ##ctg(x)=cot(x)=\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}##
Wolfram alpha -> https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=cos(x)/sin(x)

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96 and WWGD
You can see that [itex]\cos x/\sin x[/itex] is odd, so either the limit is zero or the limit does not exist. The limit is not zero: since [itex]\tan x \to 0[/itex], for each [itex]R > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < |x| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|\tan x| < R^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]|\cot x| > R[/itex].

Likes Lambda96, MatinSAR and PeroK
I'm not convinced you need an epsilon-delta proof, as long as you can use basic properties of sine and cosine.
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \cos x =1$$$$\lim_{x \to 0}\sin x = 0$$$$0 < x < \pi \ \Rightarrow \ \sin x > 0$$$$-\pi <x<0 \ \Rightarrow \ \sin x < 0$$

Likes Lambda96, MatinSAR and nuuskur
Lambda96 said:

This is correct. You have shown the limit does not exist.

Likes Lambda96
In the topology of the Extended Reals, the limit as ##\infty## may exist if your expression grows without bound in the positive direction, i.e., it would be in the neighborhood ##(a, \infty]; a>0##. Similar for ##-\infty ## as a limit. That's not the case here, as cotan alternates signs.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_real_number_line

Likes Lambda96
Thank you Bosko, pasmith, PeroK, nuuskur and WWGD for your help 👍👍👍👍👍

Thanks PeroK with the tip to argue that the sine around ##x=0## is asymmetric and therefore the limit ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0^-}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}=- \infty## and ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0^+}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}= \infty## and therefore the limit ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 0}} \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}## does not exist

Likes nuuskur, WWGD and SammyS

1. How do you calculate the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0?

To calculate the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0, we can use L'Hopital's Rule. By taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, we get -sin(x)/cos(x). Evaluating this at x = 0 gives us -sin(0)/cos(0) = 0/1 = 0.

2. Why is L'Hopital's Rule used to find the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0?

L'Hopital's Rule is used in this case because we have an indeterminate form of 0/0 as x approaches 0. By taking the derivatives of both the numerator and denominator, we can simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

3. What is the significance of the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0 is significant because it represents the slope of the tangent line to the unit circle at the point (1, 0). This limit is also equal to the derivative of the tangent function, which is cot(x).

4. Can the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0 be evaluated using trigonometric identities?

Yes, the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0 can also be evaluated using trigonometric identities. By dividing both the numerator and denominator by sin(x) and applying the identity cos(x)/sin(x) = cot(x), we can directly evaluate the limit as x approaches 0.

5. What does the limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0 tell us about the behavior of the functions cos(x) and sin(x) near x = 0?

The limit of cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0 tells us that the ratio of cos(x) to sin(x) approaches 0 as x gets closer to 0. This indicates that the cosine function approaches 0 faster than the sine function as x approaches 0.