Hydrostatic Force on a Plate: Solving with Reimann Sums and Integrals

In summary: Usually, an easier way to do these problems is to put y=0 at the surface of the water, that way your depth function D(x) is just x. Then you simply need to find a way to get out the Length at some particular x value. This can greatly simplify your integrals in most cases that I have seen.
redjohncorn

Homework Statement

Find the hydrostatic force against one side of the plate by Reimann sum. Then express the force as an integral and evaluate it.

Homework Equations

F=pg*Ad
pg do not need to be solved. they can be left like that.
F=force
p= density
g=gravity
a= area
d= distance

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i have the equation
in the attachment. However, I do not know where to put the 1 ft that lies above the triangle.
i have the area as (4/3)(3-y)

Attachments

• hydrostatic.png
    hydrostatic.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That one foot needs to be depth as a function of y. For instance, if you put the top of the triangle as y=0, increasing positively downward, then d(y) = (y+1), because at y=0, the depth will then be 1, as expected. At y=3, the depth will be 4, and so on.

You are really computing the volume of water above a particular area (more specifically, the force it causes), as a function of depth more or less. To solve these problems you can always think "How can I express depth/length/etc as a function of my independent variable"?

QuarkCharmer said:
That one foot needs to be depth as a function of y. For instance, if you put the top of the triangle as y=0, increasing positively downward, then d(y) = (y+1), because at y=0, the depth will then be 1, as expected. At y=3, the depth will be 4, and so on.

You are really computing the volume of water above a particular area, as a function of depth more or less.

would this integral be correct? i can never understand the whole concept about which way y is

Attachments

• hydrostatic.png
    hydrostatic.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 447
Where are you calling zero? Can you label your axis.

Just think of it like this:
[tex]F_{H} = δ \int_{a}^{b}L(x) D(x) dx[/tex]

QuarkCharmer said:
Where are you calling zero? Can you label your axis.

y= 0 starts at the very bottom of the triangle for this integral.

redjohncorn said:
y= 0 starts at the very bottom of the triangle for this integral.

Okay, so you have (4-y) for your D(y), when y = 1, is the depth at that point 3? Can you test the length function L(y) in the same manner against the diagram?

QuarkCharmer said:
Okay, so you have (4-y) for your D(y), when y = 1, is the depth at that point 3? Can you test the length function L(y) in the same manner against the diagram?

if by L(x) you are talking about the area that needs to be integrated, then the area is (4/3)(3-y) since y is that unknown length above the dy section.

Yes, the area. L(y) dy is the area of the strip/rectangle. Using your axis, where y=0 is at the bottom of the triangle. When y increases (going closer to the surface), does your function 4/3(3-y) represent the length of the strip at that point? When y = 0, that L(y) function evaluates to 4/3(3-0) = 4, does that sound right to you?

QuarkCharmer said:
Yes, the area. L(y) dy is the area of the strip/rectangle. Using your axis, where y=0 is at the bottom of the triangle. When y increases (going closer to the surface), does your function 4/3(3-y) represent the length of the strip at that point? When y = 0, that L(y) function evaluates to 4/3(3-0) = 4, does that sound right to you?

no. it doesn't sound right.
ok i changed the area formula to A(y)= (4/3)y
now i think it's correct. thank you

That sounds right!

Usually, an easier way to do these problems is to put y=0 at the surface of the water, that way your depth function D(x) is just x. Then you simply need to find a way to get out the Length at some particular x value. This can greatly simplify your integrals in most cases that I have seen. If the object is circular, putting the y=0 at the center of the circle can do the same thing.

Related to Hydrostatic Force on a Plate: Solving with Reimann Sums and Integrals

What is a hydrostatic force problem?

A hydrostatic force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the force exerted on an object by a fluid (such as water) at rest.

What is the equation for calculating hydrostatic force?

The equation for calculating hydrostatic force is F = ρghA, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the area of the object.

How do you determine the direction of hydrostatic force?

The direction of hydrostatic force is always perpendicular to the surface of the object and points towards the center of the fluid.

What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic force problems?

Hydrostatic force problems are used in many engineering and science fields, such as designing dams, ships, and submarines, calculating water pressure on structures, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes and pumps.

What factors can affect the magnitude of hydrostatic force?

The magnitude of hydrostatic force is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the area of the object. It is also affected by the acceleration due to gravity, which can vary depending on location and altitude.