How to Find Hydrostatic Force on a Submerged Plate?

In summary: The first is to find the hydrostatic force on the face of the aquarium water tank, resting at the bottom of the water 4 meters deep. The second is to find the force on the face of the aquarium water tank, resting at the bottom of the water 4 meters deep, assuming the bound y=0. The hydrostatic force on the face of the aquarium water tank is given by the following integral:F= bounds[0,a] ∫pg(a-y)√ln(1/y) dy
SPhy
Even problem in textbook.

Homework Statement

"Set up the integral to find the hydrostatic force on the face of the aquarium water tank, whose cross sectional area can be described by, y = e^-x^2 on 0.5≤x≤4.5 meters, resting at the bottom of the water 4 meters deep. Assume the bound y=0".

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula

F = bounds[0,a] ∫ρg(a-y)(w(y))dy , essentially, depth x width x gravity x water density

To find width, write y= e^-x^2 in terms of x, yields, x=√ln(1/y) consider only positive values.

integral so far,

F= bounds[0,a] ∫pg(a-y)√ln(1/y) dy

My issue is finding a. Since the book gives the condition y=0, I assume the height of the water = height of tank, so can I say a=4?

Hopefully that made sense. In many problems done so far that are similar to this one, I am finding the force on a window, so my A value on the integral bound is different from my A value in the depth expression. I might be thinking about this problem completely backwards, so any help or suggestions would be welcomed!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me whether y is a vertical or horizontal coordinate. "Resting at the bottom" suggests x and y are both horizontal, but then the problem reduces to finding an area.

The textbook gives no diagram. Although on a problem where the Y axis was horizontal, a diagram was given. So I'm assuming the X axis is horizontal here. My guess is the tank is resting at the bottom of the body of water, 4 meters deep, so height of water=height of tank?

I think I get it. The face is a vertical plate. It is straight along the bottom edge and the vertical edges, but the height of the top edge is given by the exponential formula for y. The bottom edge is at a depth of 4m, and y is always less than 1, so the whole face is submerged. You want the total horizontal force on the plate.
You will need a double integral.

Related to How to Find Hydrostatic Force on a Submerged Plate?

1. What is hydrostatic force set-up and how does it work?

Hydrostatic force set-up is a method used to determine the force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object. It works by calculating the pressure at different points on the submerged object and integrating these values to find the total force.

2. What is the principle behind hydrostatic force set-up?

The principle behind hydrostatic force set-up is based on Pascal's law, which states that the pressure at any point in a fluid is equal in all directions. This means that the force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object is perpendicular to the surface of the object.

3. How is the total force calculated in hydrostatic force set-up?

The total force is calculated by integrating the pressure distribution over the surface area of the submerged object. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using a hydrostatic force balance device.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of hydrostatic force?

The magnitude of hydrostatic force is affected by the depth of the submerged object, the density of the fluid, and the area of the object that is submerged. The shape and orientation of the object can also affect the force.

5. What are the applications of hydrostatic force set-up in real life?

Hydrostatic force set-up is used in various engineering fields, such as designing dams, ships, and submarines. It is also used in studying fluid mechanics and in determining the stability of structures in water.