Finding Hydrostatic Force on the Plate

In summary, a rectangular plate measuring 2m by 5m is suspended vertically in a liquid with density 500 kg per cubic meter in such a way that one of its longer sides is on top and is 3 meters below the surface of the liquid. The hydrostatic force on the plate is 196000 Newtons.
McAfee
Before I begin I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post. I will follow and abide by all rules here.

Homework Statement

A rectangular plate measuring 2m by 5m is suspended vertically in a liquid with density 500 kg per cubic meter in such a way that one of its longer sides is on top and is 3 meters below the surface of the liquid. Find the hydrostatic force on the plate.

Homework Equations

The force(F) equals = Area*depth*density*acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

F= A * depth * density * acceleration
The density and acceleration are 500 * 9.8 = 4900, so that goes outside the ∫
The bounds of the integral are 3 to 5 since the plate is 3 meters deep.
The Area I think is equal to 5 * x and the depth I think is (3-x)

So my final integral would be 4900 ∫5x (3-x) dx from 3 to 5

Not sure if I'm right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
McAfee said:
Before I begin I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post. I will follow and abide by all rules here.

Homework Statement

A rectangular plate measuring 2m by 5m is suspended vertically in a liquid with density 500 kg per cubic meter in such a way that one of its longer sides is on top and is 3 meters below the surface of the liquid. Find the hydrostatic force on the plate.

Homework Equations

The force(F) equals = Area*depth*density*acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

F= A * depth * density * acceleration
The density and acceleration are 500 * 9.8 = 4900, so that goes outside the ∫
The bounds of the integral are 3 to 5 since the plate is 3 meters deep.
The Area I think is equal to 5 * x and the depth I think is (3-x)

So my final integral would be 4900 ∫5x (3-x) dx from 3 to 5

Not sure if I'm right or not

Welcome to the forums! When you are integrating you are basically summing over small rectangular slices of the area. I think you mean x to be the depth of that slice. Picture a slice of your plate going from x to x+dx in depth. That makes the area of that slice dx * width of the plate, or 5*dx, right? And depth of the slice is just x. Try and set that integral up again.

Dick said:
Welcome to the forums! When you are integrating you are basically summing over small rectangular slices of the area. I think you mean x to be the depth of that slice. Picture a slice of your plate going from x to x+dx in depth. That makes the area of that slice dx * width of the plate, or 5*dx, right? And depth of the slice is just x. Try and set that integral up again.

I decided to set up the integral differently so now I have:
4900∫5(3+x)dx from 0 to 2
=196000 Newtons

(3+x) is the depth
4900 is the density*acceleration due to gravity(both are givens)

or I could have done

4900∫5x dx from 3 to 5

Helped me realize I would get the same answer.

McAfee said:
I decided to set up the integral differently so now I have:
4900∫5(3+x)dx from 0 to 2
=196000 Newtons

(3+x) is the depth
4900 is the density*acceleration due to gravity(both are givens)

or I could have done

4900∫5x dx from 3 to 5

Helped me realize I would get the same answer.

Sure. Good job!

Related to Finding Hydrostatic Force on the Plate

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on an object submerged in it. It is caused by the weight of the fluid above the object and is proportional to the density of the fluid and the area of the object.

2. How do you calculate hydrostatic force on a plate?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic force on a plate is F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the area of the plate.

3. What is the significance of finding hydrostatic force on a plate?

Finding hydrostatic force on a plate is important in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing underwater structures, predicting the stability of ships, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes.

4. How does the shape of the plate affect the hydrostatic force?

The shape of the plate does not affect the hydrostatic force. The force only depends on the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the area of the plate.

5. What are the units of hydrostatic force?

The units of hydrostatic force are typically newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), depending on the unit system used. It is a measure of force, which is equivalent to mass multiplied by acceleration (F = ma).