Electromagnetism: Force on a parabolic wire in uniform magnetic field

Aurelius120
Homework Statement
A conducting wire bent in the form of a parabola ##y^2=2x## carries a current of ##2A##. It is placed in a uniform magnetic field of ##-4\hat k T##. Find magnetic force on wire in newtons.
Relevant Equations
$$d\vec F=Id\vec l\times \vec B $$
Given correct answer is ##32\hat i##
Screenshot_20240115_030232_Chrome.jpg

I know the easier method/trick to solve this which doesn't require integration. Since parabola is symmetric about x-axis and direction of current flow is opposite, vertical components of force are cancelled and a net effective length of AB may be considered then ##F=2(4)(L_{AB})=32\hat i##

I was trying to reach the same answer via integration. Thus I proceed :
$$y^2=2x \implies A=(2,2) ; B=(2,-2)$$
Net magnetic force on wire is given by :
$$\vec F_{net}=\int ^{2}_{-2} I \left(\frac{x\hat i+y\hat j}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)\times \vec B dy$$
Cross multiplying the unit vectors to get direction and integrating with respect to dy:
$$\vec F_{net}=\int ^{2}_{-2} 2 \left(\frac{x\hat i+y\hat j}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)\times (-4\hat k) dy$$
From given data and equation of parabola,
$$\vec F_{net}=-8\int ^{2}_{-2} \left(\frac{(y^2/2)\hat i+y\hat j}{\sqrt{(y^4/4)+y^2}}\right)\times (\hat k) dy$$
Using distributive property of cross multiplication,
$$\vec F_{net}=-8\left[\int ^{2}_{-2} \left(\frac{(-y^2)\hat {j}}{\sqrt{y^4+4y^2}}\right)dy+\int^{2}_{-2}\left( \frac{2y \hat i} {\sqrt{(y^4)+4y^2}}\right)dy\right]$$

$$\vec F_{net}=-8\left[\int ^{2}_{-2} \left(\frac{(-y)\hat {j}}{\sqrt{y^2+4}}\right)dy+\int^{2}_{-2}\left( \frac{2 \hat i} {\sqrt{(y^2)+4}}\right)dy\right]$$

The first integral, is of an odd function and yields an even function and the limits make it zero. Only the second remains. Therefore,

$$\vec F_{net}=-8\int^{2}_{-2}\left( \frac{2 \hat i} {\sqrt{(y^2)+4}}\right)dy$$

So here are my questions,
  1. How do I proceed further?
  2. I tried to compute the integral with help from internet. It gave me the wrong answer. What have I done wrong and how do I get the correct answer using calculus?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember what the vector dl stands for?

In addition to what was said in #2:

I suggest looking at the integral
$$
\int_A^B d\vec l
$$
and thinking about if the path between A and B actually matters.

Gordianus said:
Do you remember what the vector dl stands for?
Small length of wire, correct ?
I took ##dy## as small wire element and then changed ##x## in terms of ##y##. So it should be ok?

Last edited:
Aurelius120 said:
Net magnetic force on wire is given by :
$$… \left(\frac{x\hat i+y\hat j}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)…dy$$
How did you get that from ##\vec {dl}##?

• Love
Likes Delta2
Aurelius120 said:
Small length of wire, correct ?
The line element along the wire. It should represent the small change in the position vector along the wire.

Aurelius120 said:
I took ##dy## as small wire element and then changed ##x## in terms of ##y##. So it should be ok?
No, what you wrote down was not correct. The small change of the position vector when you change y by dy is not given by the expression you wrote down.

Remember the tangent vector?

The general expression for the infinitesimal element of the position vector along a curve in 3D space is $$d\vec{l}=\vec{i}dx+\vec{j}dy+\vec{k}dz$$ from which you can get the correct dl for your case by observing that this parabola lies exclusively in the xy-plane.

Also you know the equation of the parabola so you can find how dy and dx relate by differentiation.

Likes Aurelius120
Delta2 said:
The general expression for the infinitesimal element of the position vector along a curve in 3D space is $$d\vec{l}=\vec{i}dx+\vec{j}dy+\vec{k}dz$$ from which you can get the correct dl for your case by observing that this parabola lies exclusively in the xy-plane.

Which of course everybody helping here knew, but wanted the OP to spend some effort to think about.

Delta2 said:
Also you know the equation of the parabola so you can find how dy and dx relate by differentiation.
The point is, you don’t need to involve any parametrization at all to do the integral here.

Likes Vanadium 50
Orodruin said:
The point is, you don’t need to involve any parametrization at all to do the integral here.
Not sure what you mean here. You mean we can do the integral without knowing the equation between dy and dx?

Maybe this can happen here because of the symmetry of the path, but it is not correct in the general case when dx and dy are not independent.

Delta2 said:
Not sure what you mean here. You mean we can do the integral without knowing the equation between dy and dx?

Maybe this can happen here because of the symmetry of the path, but it is not correct in the general case when dx and dy are not independent.
It is obviously correct in the general case. The integral is
$$
\int_A^B d\vec l.
$$
The rest of the expression is just constants and vector structure. Please let the OP think about this.

Likes Vanadium 50
Orodruin said:
$$
\int_A^B d\vec l.
$$
The rest of the expression is just constants and vector structure. Please let the OP think about this.
I have to think it too cause your "obviously" is not so obvious to me. So the integral ##\int_A^B d\vec{l}## along any curve depends only on the edge points A,B of the path of the curve on which we integrate? Not so obvious to me really.

Ok I didn't expect this, the integral $$\int_A^B d\vec{l}$$ is indeed independent of path but the integral $$\int_A^B |d\vec{l|}$$ depends on path. Math can be really unexpected some times.

haruspex said:
How did you get that from ##\vec {dl}##?
When I first read this reply, I thought and started going:
$$\frac{dx}{dy}=y$$
$$dl=\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dy)^2}$$$$\implies \frac{dl}{dy}=\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dy}\right)^2+1}=\sqrt{y^2+1}$$
Then I would have gone:
$$\int....\frac{x\hat i+y \hat j}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}....dl$$$$=\int....\frac{x\hat i+y \hat j}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}....\frac{dl}{dy} dy$$$$=\int....\frac{x\hat i+y \hat j}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}....\sqrt{y^2+1}dy$$
Delta2 said:
This comment saved the day.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Ok I didn't expect this, the integral $$\int_A^B d\vec{l}$$ is indeed independent of path
You did not expect that when you sum up the infinitesimal displacements along a curve you would get the displacement between the end points?

The path independence is also trivially true from Stokes’ theorem.

Orodruin said:
You did not expect that when you sum up the infinitesimal displacements along a curve you would get the displacement between the end points?

The path independence is also trivially true from Stokes’ theorem.
No I didn't expect it because I know the integral $$\int |d\vec{l}|$$ depends on path so I expected the integral $$\int d\vec{l}$$ to depend too. The raw thought is like I mean the modulus of a vector depends on path hence the vector should depend on path too , but ok as it is usual the case the raw sloppy thoughts driven by intuition are quite often wrong in mathematics where you got to think with razor sharp accuracy and rigor.

Delta2 said:
No I didn't expect it because I know the integral $$\int |d\vec{l}|$$ depends on path so I expected the integral $$\int d\vec{l}$$ to depend too. The raw thought is like I mean the modulus of a vector depends on path hence the vector should depend on path too , but ok as it is usual the case the raw sloppy thoughts driven by intuition are quite often wrong in mathematics where you got to think with razor sharp accuracy and rigor.
I disagree. I think it is very intuitive that if you sum up the displacements along a curve, you get the total displacement. If you sum up the sizes of the displacements you get the path length, which is quite clearly path dependent. It is average speed vs average velocity all over again.

You have better intuition than mine :D

I think you just need to stop and think about what the integrals actually represent. Once you do it is not rocket science.

Orodruin said:
$$
\int_A^B d\vec l.
$$
Does this mean that magnetic force on any weirdly twisted wire in uniform magnetic field can always be reduced to force on a single line of current?

Aurelius120 said:
Does this mean that magnetic force on any weirdly twisted wire in uniform magnetic field can always be reduced to force on a single line of current?
Yes!

1. How does a parabolic wire behave in a uniform magnetic field?

When a parabolic wire carrying current is placed in a uniform magnetic field, the wire experiences a force that causes it to move in a curved path. The force is perpendicular to both the direction of current flow in the wire and the magnetic field lines.

2. What factors affect the force experienced by a parabolic wire in a magnetic field?

The force experienced by a parabolic wire in a magnetic field is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, and the length of the wire that is within the magnetic field.

3. How can the direction of the force on a parabolic wire be determined?

The direction of the force on a parabolic wire in a magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, and curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The force on the wire will be perpendicular to both the current and magnetic field, following the direction of your outstretched palm.

4. What is the equation to calculate the force on a parabolic wire in a magnetic field?

The equation to calculate the force on a parabolic wire in a magnetic field is F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where F is the force, I is the current flowing through the wire, L is the length of the wire in the magnetic field, B is the magnetic field strength, and theta is the angle between the current and magnetic field.

5. How can the motion of a parabolic wire in a magnetic field be described?

The motion of a parabolic wire in a magnetic field can be described as a combination of uniform motion and circular motion. The wire moves in a straight line due to the force exerted by the magnetic field, but also curves due to the perpendicular force acting on it. This results in a parabolic path followed by the wire.