How Does Mass Affect Velocity in an Elastic Collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A, with a mass of 0.023 kg and a velocity of +5.5 m/s along the x-axis, collides with Puck B, which has a mass of 0.048 kg and is initially at rest. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart at angles of 65 degrees north of east and 37 degrees south of east. The conversation also includes the use of equations MaVa = MaVa(cos 65) + MbVb(cos 37) and Va(sin 65) = Vb(sin 37) to calculate the momentum and velocity values. The individual making the calculations
mayanfox
The drawing shows a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A has a mass of 0.023 kg and is moving along the x-axis with a velocity of +5.5 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.048 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing.

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/07_32.gif

(Puck A is 65 degrees north of east, puck B is 37 degrees south of east.)

I used MaVa = MaVa(cos 65) + MbVb(cos 37), which gives me
.1265 = .0097202Va + .03833Vb. Since the total momentum in the Y direction was zero, I also used
Va(sin 65) = Vb(sin 37)
Va = .6640Vb or Vb = 1.506Va.

Every time I plug in those numbers I get a wrong value! Am I missing some important concept, or am I just making an algebraic error?

Physics news on Phys.org
> I used MaVa = MaVa(cos 65) + MbVb(cos 37)

You Va on RHS should be different from initial Va on LHS.

Aah, thanks for pointing that out. I had the Va on the LHS as Vo when I did the problem, though, so it didn't change my answer.

> Va(sin 65) = Vb(sin 37)

Why? It should be MaVasin 65 = MbVbsin 37.

Related to How Does Mass Affect Velocity in an Elastic Collision?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how hard it is to stop an object that is moving.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg m/s).

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, both objects bounce off each other without being permanently deformed or losing energy to heat, sound, or other forms of energy.

4. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because there is no net external force acting on the system, so the total momentum remains constant.

5. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together or become permanently deformed. Inelastic collisions typically involve objects with greater mass or when there is friction or other external forces present.