Elastic Collision between billiard balls

In summary, I'm not sure which answer to choose for future questions and I'm not sure which answer to choose for the original question either.
testme

Homework Statement

Two billiard balls of equal mass undergo a perfectly elastic head on collision. If one ball's initial speed was 2.00 m/s, and the other's was 3.00 m/s in the opposite direction, what will their speeds be after the collision?

Va = 2 m/s
Vb = 3 m/s

Homework Equations

MaVa + MbVb = MaVa' + MbVb'
1/2MaVa^2 + 1/2MbVb^2 = 1/2MaVa'^2 + 1/2MbVb'^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let right be positive.

Va + Vb = Va' + Vb'
2 - 3 = Va' + Vb'
Va' = -1 - Vb'

Va^2 + Vb^2 = Va'^2 + Vb'^2
4 + 9 = (1-Vb')^2 + Vb'^2
0 = -13 + 1 + 2Vb' + Vb'^2 + Vb'^2
0 = 2Vb'^2 + 2Vb' - 12
0 = Vb'^2 + Vb' - 6
0 = (Vb' + 3)(Vb' - 2)
Vb' = -3 or Vb' = 2

I can figure this out, but I'm not sure which answer to choose and also for future questions how I know which to choose.

If Vb' = -3:

Va' = -1 - Vb'
Va' = -1 - (-3)
Va' = 2

If Vb' = 2:

Va' = -1 - Vb'
Va' = -1 - 2
Va' = -3

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare the final answers to your initial conditions.

What did you state Va and Vb to be?

Well Va was 2m/s and Vb was -3 m/s

If they're colliding head on would they be pushed back directly in the opposite direction, making

Vb' = 2 m/s and Va' = -3 m/s?

testme said:

Homework Statement

Two billiard balls of equal mass undergo a perfectly elastic head on collision. If one ball's initial speed was 2.00 m/s, and the other's was 3.00 m/s in the opposite direction, what will their speeds be after the collision?

Va = 2 m/s
Vb = 3 m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let right be positive.

Va + Vb = Va' + Vb'
2 - 3 = Va' + Vb'
Va' = -1 - Vb'

Va^2 + Vb^2 = Va'^2 + Vb'^2
4 + 9 = (1-Vb')^2 + Vb'^2
0 = -13 + 1 + 2Vb' + Vb'^2 + Vb'^2
0 = 2Vb'^2 + 2Vb' - 12
0 = Vb'^2 + Vb' - 6
0 = (Vb' + 3)(Vb' - 2)
Vb' = -3 or Vb' = 2

I can figure this out, but I'm not sure which answer to choose and also for future questions how I know which to choose.

If Vb' = -3:

Va' = -1 - Vb'
Va' = -1 - (-3)
Va' = 2

If Vb' = 2:

Va' = -1 - Vb'
Va' = -1 - 2
Va' = -3

Your duplicate answers arise since it was arbitrary which ball you chose as A and which as B - and which one was traveling in the positive direction.

Work the problem with Va = 2 and Vb = -3 initially, then Vb = 2 and Va = -3, then Va = -2 and Vb = 3 and finally Vb = -2 and Va = 3 and you will get seemingly different answers, which when interpretted to the situation mean the same thing.

It is a head on collision, so call the original motion Left and Right [one of those directions you will have to call one of those positive and the other negative for maths - it doesn't like left and right.

Once you interpret your answer you will find that the ball originally doing 2 will be traveling at 3 in the opposite direction to its original, and the ball doing 3 will be traveling at 2 in the opposite direction to its original, regardless of which ball you called A, and which direction you defined as positive.

Okay, I got it, thanks, now I have another question :/
New topic ><

I don't find the questions hard just my answers aren't really matching up with teachers so I must be doing something wrong

Related to Elastic Collision between billiard balls

1. What is an elastic collision between billiard balls?

An elastic collision between billiard balls is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the kinetic energy after the collision. In this type of collision, the balls do not deform or lose any energy due to friction.

2. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision between billiard balls?

The outcome of an elastic collision between billiard balls is affected by the masses of the balls, their velocities before the collision, and the angle at which they collide. The elasticity of the balls and the surface they are colliding on can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

3. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision between billiard balls?

In an elastic collision between billiard balls, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum of the balls before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system, so the total momentum remains constant.

4. Can an elastic collision between billiard balls result in one ball stopping and the other continuing to move?

Yes, it is possible for an elastic collision between billiard balls to result in one ball stopping and the other continuing to move. This can happen if the two balls have significantly different masses or if they collide at an angle that results in one ball transferring most of its momentum to the other.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to an elastic collision between billiard balls?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an elastic collision between billiard balls, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, meaning that the kinetic energy is conserved. If the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, some kinetic energy is lost due to the collision being inelastic.