Conservation of momentum question - elastic collisions

In summary, the first ball moves away with angle 30° to the original path. The resultant velocities of the two balls after the collision are Va = sqrt[ (Va - Vb' *cosθ/cosθ)^2 + (-Vb' *sinθ/sinθ)^2 ] and Vb = sqrt[ { (Va/cosθ)-Vb' }^2 + (-Vb')^2 ].
Valerie Prowse

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg ball moving with a speed of 3.0 m/s hits, elastically, an identical stationary ball as shown. If the first ball moves away with angle 30° to the original path, determine

a. the speed of the first ball after the collision.

b. the speed and direction of the second ball after the collision.

Homework Equations

p = mv

Conservation of momentum
maVa + mbVb = ma'Va' + mb'Vb'

Conservation of KE

1/2maVa^2 + 1/2mbVb^2 = 1/2maVa'^2 + 1/2mbVb'^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked at a few solutions on here and elsewhere, but the concept is just not quite clicking yet... I'm not really sure how to mess around with the equations to get what I need. I understand that you have to break it down into components, so:
ma = mb

p(x) = mVa = mVa' + mVb'
mVa = m(Va' + mVb')
Va = Va' + Vb' (and the horizontal components of the velocities are *cosθ)
Va = Va' *cosθ + Vb' *cosθ (the image included with the question shows ball B going below the x-axis at an angle = θ, so I am wondering if the second θ is negative...)
I am not too sure what to do with this information ... maybe solve for Va' or Vb' and leave it there for now? So it would be:

Va' = (Va - Vb' *cosθ)/cosθ
Vb' = (Va - Va' *cosθ)/cosθ

p(y) = mVa + mVb = mVa' + mVb'
0 = Va' + Vb'
0 = Va' *sinθ + Vb' *sinθ (again, not sure if the second θ is negative, since it is below the x axis)
Va' *sinθ = -Vb' *sinθ

Also, from the conservation of energy:

0.5m(Va^2) + 0 = 0.5m(Va'^2 + Vb'^2)
Va^2 = Va'^2 + Vb'^2

I'm stuck after this. I don't know what I'm looking for after this point... Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you express the resultant velocities of the two masses, after the collision, in terms of their vertical and horizontal components?

*the resultant speeds of the two masses.

AlephNumbers said:
How can you express the resultant velocities of the two masses, after the collision, in terms of their vertical and horizontal components?

Do you mean like:

Va = sqrt(Va'(x)^2 + Va'(y)^2)

?

Yes! Now where can you substitute that information?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Using the components above?

So,

Va = sqrt[ (Va - Vb' *cosθ/cosθ)^2 + (-Vb' *sinθ/sinθ)^2 ]

My problem here is simplifying this.. I'm not really familiar with trigonometric functions, although I was tipped off that I need to somehow incorporate the function of (sinθ)^2 + (cosθ)^2 = 1.

I was able to get [simplified Va'(x) and Va'(y)]:

Va = sqrt[ { (Va/cosθ)-Vb' }^2 + (-Vb')^2]

But I'm stuck now :S Is anyone able to give some hints on how to simplify this further?

In the work that has been done here, θ has been used for both the angles involved however, that would denote they are equal correct? when they may not be. Shouldn't we be putting 30 in for the known angle and leaving the unknown angle as θ since we are not sure if they are the same?

Related to Conservation of momentum question - elastic collisions

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in an isolated system, the total momentum of all objects before and after a collision must be equal.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In other words, the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

3. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, momentum is conserved through the exchange of momentum between the objects involved. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the objects after the collision.

4. How is the velocity of an object affected by an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the velocity of an object can change depending on the masses and velocities of the colliding objects. The final velocities of the objects can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations.

5. Are there any real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of elastic collisions, such as billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a tennis ball bouncing off a racket, or two cars colliding and bouncing off each other. Elastic collisions also occur in microscopic interactions, such as atoms colliding in a gas or particles colliding in a particle accelerator.