Two-Dimensional Elastic Collision of Equal Masses

In summary: It would have made the proof a lot easier and more intuitive.In summary, by using the conservation of momentum and energy equations and assuming a non-head-on collision between two equal masses, it can be shown that the final velocities of the projectile and target will be perpendicular to each other. This can also be easily visualized through a geometric proof using vector addition and the Pythagorean theorem.
flamespirit919

Homework Statement

Show that if an elastic collision between a mass and a stationary target of equal mass is not head-on that the projectile and target final velocities are perpendicular. (Hint: Square the conservation of momentum equation, using ##p^2=p\cdot p##, and compare the resulting equation with the energy conservation equation.)

Homework Equations

##p=mv##
##K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I followed the hint and got $$\overrightarrow{p_1^2}=\overrightarrow{p_1^{'2}}+\overrightarrow{p_2^{'2}}+2\left(\overrightarrow{p_1}\cdot \overrightarrow{p_2}\right)$$ Plugging in values I got $$m^2\overrightarrow{v_1^2}=m^2\overrightarrow{v_1^{'2}}+m^2\overrightarrow{v_2^{'2}}+2\left(m\overrightarrow{v}_1\cdot m\overrightarrow{v}_2\right)$$ $$\overrightarrow{v_1^2}=\overrightarrow{v_1^{'2}}+\overrightarrow{v_2^{'2}}$$ For the x- and y-components I got the following assuming the target traveled along the x-axis after the collision $$v_1^2cos^2(\theta)=v_1^{'2}cos^2(\theta ^{'})+v_2^{'2}$$ $$v_1^2sin^2(\theta)=v_1^{'2}sin^2(\theta ^{'})$$ This is where I got stuck and wasn't sure how to solve for ##v_1^{'}## or ##v_2^{'}##. I'm not entirely sure when or how to apply the equation for kinetic energy. Am I in the right direction or did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did something wrong. The last two equations are dimensionally incorrect. Review their derivation.

kuruman said:
You did something wrong. The last two equations are dimensionally incorrect. Review their derivation.
I forgot to square the initial velocity. Were there any other mistakes?

I think I got it.

So the momentum in the x and y-direction is $$v_1=v_1^{'}cos(\theta _1)+v_2^{'}cos(\theta _2)$$ $$0=v_1^{'}sin(\theta _1)-v_2^{'}sin(\theta _2)$$ I then used the following to find the magnitude of the momentum $$p^2=p_x^2+p_y^2$$ Doing this I got $$v_1=v_1^{'2}(cos^2(\theta _1)+sin^2(\theta _1))+v_2^{'2}(cos^2(\theta _2)+sin^2(\theta _2))+2v_1^{'}v_2^{'}(cos(\theta _1)cos(\theta _2)-sin(\theta _1)sin(\theta _2))$$ Using trig identities and the law of cosines, I simplified it to $$v_1^2=v_1^{'2}+v_2^{'2}+2v_1^{'}v_2^{'}cos(\theta _1+\theta _2)$$ Knowing that kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision I used the equation for kinetic energy and simplified $$\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1^{'2}+\frac{1}{2}mv_2^{'2}$$ $$v_1^2=v_1^{'2}+v_2^{'2}$$ With this formula, ##v_1^2## can be substituted for ##v_1^{'2}+v_2^{'2}## After substituting the equation simplifies to $$0=2v_1^{'}v_2^{'}cos(\theta _1+\theta _2)$$ Solving results in $$v_1^{'}=0$$ $$v_2^{'}=0$$ $$cos(\theta _1+\theta _2)=0$$ Solving for the last equation results in $$\theta _1+\theta _2 = 90°\text{ or }\frac{\pi}{2}$$ Thus, the two velocities must be perpendicular.

flamespirit919 said:
Solving results in $$v_1^{'}=0$$ $$v_2^{'}=0$$ $$cos(\theta _1+\theta _2)=0$$
it results in at least one of those three. How do you rule out the first two?

haruspex said:
it results in at least one of those three. How do you rule out the first two?
The question asks to prove that the two velocities will be perpendicular, so I assumed the velocities to be non-zero because otherwise there would be no answer as the angle between the two velocities would not exist.

flamespirit919 said:
The question asks to prove that the two velocities will be perpendicular, so I assumed the velocities to be non-zero because otherwise there would be no answer as the angle between the two velocities would not exist.
You are given that the collision is not head-on. From that you can show neither velocity is zero.

haruspex said:
You are given that the collision is not head-on. From that you can show neither velocity is zero.
That makes sense, thank you very much.

Here is a quick geometric proof, not that your algebraic proof is incorrect.
Momentum conservation for a two equal-mass collision requires that ##\vec{v}_1={\vec{v_1}'}+{\vec{v_2}'}##.
Since the collision is not one-dimensional, if you draw a vector addition diagram, you get a closed triangle with the magnitudes of the three vectors as its sides.
Energy conservation for a two equal-mass collision requires that ##v_1^2= {v'_1}^2+{v'_1}^2##.
Therefore, said triangle obeys the Pythagorean theorem with ##v_1## as the hypotenuse and ##{v'_1}## and ##{v'_2}## as the two right sides.

kuruman said:
Here is a quick geometric proof, not that your algebraic proof is incorrect.
Momentum conservation for a two equal-mass collision requires that ##\vec{v}_1={\vec{v_1}'}+{\vec{v_2}'}##.
Since the collision is not one-dimensional, if you draw a vector addition diagram, you get a closed triangle with the magnitudes of the three vectors as its sides.
Energy conservation for a two equal-mass collision requires that ##v_1^2= {v'_1}^2+{v'_1}^2##.
Therefore, said triangle obeys the Pythagorean theorem with ##v_1## as the hypotenuse and ##{v'_1}## and ##{v'_2}## as the two right sides.
Thank you! I wish I had seen that sooner.

Related to Two-Dimensional Elastic Collision of Equal Masses

1. What is a two-dimensional elastic collision of equal masses?

A two-dimensional elastic collision of equal masses is a type of collision between two objects of equal mass in which the total kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that both the total mass and the total velocity of the objects remain the same before and after the collision.

2. How is the final velocity of two objects calculated after a two-dimensional elastic collision?

The final velocity of two objects after a two-dimensional elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the two objects before and after the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both the total kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In contrast, an inelastic collision is a type of collision in which some energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, during the collision.

4. How do you know if a collision is elastic or inelastic?

A collision can be classified as elastic or inelastic based on the amount of kinetic energy and momentum that is conserved. In an elastic collision, both the total kinetic energy and momentum remain the same before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost and the total kinetic energy and momentum will not be conserved.

5. Can a two-dimensional elastic collision of equal masses occur in real life?

Yes, a two-dimensional elastic collision of equal masses can occur in real life, although it is rare. In most collisions, some energy is lost due to factors such as friction, making them inelastic. However, with precise conditions and low energy loss, an elastic collision can occur. An example of this is the collision of billiard balls on a pool table.