Final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an elastic collision between an atomic nucleus and a target particle. The goal is to determine the final velocities of both particles after the collision. To simplify the problem, the advice is given to manipulate the equation of momentum conservation using the identity sin2Φ + cos2Φ = 1. The attempt at a solution involves breaking the final velocities into component forms and using the conservation of kinetic energy, but the equations become impossible to solve. To make use of the trigonometric identity, the x-momentum and y-momentum equations are solved for 3.0u2cosΦ and 3.0u2sinΦ, respectively. This leads to a final equation with two
Protium_H1

Homework Statement

An atomic nucleous of mass m traveling with speed v collides elastically with a target particle of mass 3.0m (initially at rest) and is scattered at 45o
(a). What are the final speeds of the two particles?
Advice: eliminate the target particle's recoil angle by manipulating the equation of momentum conservation so that can use the identity sin2Φ + cos2Φ = 1

Variables (that I used):

v = speed of the atom before the collision (along the x-axis, i.e. parallel to the x-axis)
u1 = final velocity of the atom after the collision (goes above the x-axis by 45o)
u2 = final velocity of the target particle after the collision (goes below the x-axis by Φ)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Conservation of Momentum:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1u1 m2u2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used the conservation of momentum formula and simplified it as follows:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1u1 + m2u2
mv = mu1 + 3.0mu2
mv = m(u1 + 3.0u2)
v = u1 + 3.0u2
I broke u1 and u2 into component forms:

x-direction:
v = u1cos(45o) + 3.0u2cosΦ
y-direction:
0 = u1sin(45o) - 3.0u2sinΦ
This is where I get stuck, I even tried to use the conservation of kinetic energy,

v2 = u12 + 3.0u22
To find for the unknowns, but for some reason, the equations just all cancel out or become impossible to solve when I tried to substitute and find the final velocities, and for some reason, I can't get the expression sin2Φ + cos2Φ = 1 as the Advice recommended me to do. I asked my Prof. and he said that I had to break the final velocities into its component forms to get that trig. identity before rushing to a meeting.

Note:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I think that the angle between these two final velocities (45o + Φ) = 90o, since the conservation of kinetic energy equation: v2 = u12 + 3.0u22, looks like Pythagoras Theorem, where v is the hypotenuse, and all these 3 velocities form a right triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Protium_H1.

Protium_H1 said:
x-direction:
v = u1cos(45o) + 3.0u2cosΦ
y-direction:
0 = u1sin(45o) - 3.0u2sinΦ
This is where I get stuck, I even tried to use the conservation of kinetic energy,

v2 = u12 + 3.0u22
To make use of the trig identity, solve the x-momentum equation for 3.0u2cosΦ and solve the y-momentum equation for 3.0u2sinΦ. Can you then see how to proceed?

Note:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I think that the angle between these two final velocities (45o + Φ) = 90o
This would be true if the two masses were equal. It is not true in this problem.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF, Protium_H1.To make use of the trig identity, solve the x-momentum equation for 3.0u2cosΦ and solve the y-momentum equation for 3.0u2sinΦ. Can you then see how to proceed?

This would be true if the two masses were equal. It is not true in this problem.
TSny said:
Welcome to PF, Protium_H1.To make use of the trig identity, solve the x-momentum equation for 3.0u2cosΦ and solve the y-momentum equation for 3.0u2sinΦ. Can you then see how to proceed?

Would I have to add these two equations up and square them?

[3.0u2cosΦ]2 = [v - u2cos(45o)]2
[3.0u2sinΦ]2 = [u1sin(45o)]2

then,

[3.0u2sinΦ]2 + [3.0u2cosΦ]2 = [u1sin(45o)]2 + [v - u2cos(45o)]2
9.0u22[cos2Φ + sin2Φ] = [u1sin(45o)]2 + [v - u2cos(45o)]2
9.0u22 = [u1sin(45o)]2 + [v - u2cos(45o)]2
but I still have 3 unknowns in this equation, is there a way to cancel 2 of them?

Protium_H1 said:
Would I have to add these two equations up and square them?

[3.0u2cosΦ]2 = [v - u2cos(45o)]2
[3.0u2sinΦ]2 = [u1sin(45o)]2
Yes. But you have a typographical error in the subscript on the right side of the first equation.

but I still have 3 unknowns in this equation, is there a way to cancel 2 of them?
You have only two unknowns since you can consider v as given.
Don't forget the energy equation.

Related to Final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision

1. What is a 2D elastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.

2. How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision?

The final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. This involves setting up and solving a system of equations to find the velocities of the objects after the collision.

3. What factors can affect the final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision?

The final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision can be affected by the masses and velocities of the objects, as well as the angle at which they collide. Additionally, external forces such as friction can also impact the final velocities.

4. Can the final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision ever be greater than their initial velocities?

No, the final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision cannot be greater than their initial velocities. This is because the total kinetic energy of the system must remain constant and cannot increase during an elastic collision.

5. How does a 2D elastic collision differ from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and is instead converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This means that the final velocities of the objects will be different from their initial velocities, unlike in a 2D elastic collision where the final velocities are equal to the initial velocities.