Functional analysis, projection operators

In summary, I was trying to solve the homework statement where I am given a projection operator P and a subspace M. I was able to find a finite set F0 and vectors m_i\in M_i for i\in F0 such that \|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}\|<\epsilon. If F\geq F_0, then I-F\subset I-F_0 and \|Px-\sum_{i\in F}P_ix-Px\big\|=\|P_{M_{I-F}}x\|=\|P_{M_{I-F}}P
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I want to understand the proof of proposition 7.1 in Conway. The theorem says that if [itex]\{P_i|i\in I\}[/itex] is a family of projection operators, and [itex]P_i[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]P_j[/itex] when [itex]i\neq j[/itex], then for any x in a Hilbert space H,

[tex]\sum_{i\in I}P_ix=Px[/tex]

where P is the projection operator for the closed subspace that's spanned by the members of the Pi(H).

Homework Equations

Suppose that [itex]P_M[/itex] and [itex]P_N[/itex] are projection operators for closed subspaces M and N respectively. Then

(a) [itex]P_M+P_N[/itex] is a projection operator for [itex]M\oplus N[/itex] if and only if M and N are orthogonal.
(b) [itex]P_MP_N[/itex] is a projection operator for [itex]M\cap N[/itex] if and only if [itex][P_M,P_N]=0[/itex].
(c) [itex]P_M-P_N[/itex] is a projection operator for [itex]M\cap N^\perp[/itex] if and only if [itex]N\subset M[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

For each finite [itex]F\subset I[/itex], define

[tex]S_F=\sum_{i\in F}P_ix[/tex]

The map [itex]F\mapsto S_F[/itex] is a net, and I need to show that it converges to Px. So given [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex], I want to find a finite [itex]F_0\subset I[/itex] such that

[tex]F\geq F_0\Rightarrow \|S_F-Px\|<\varepsilon[/tex]

I think I've shown that the norm on the right is equal to

[tex]\|P_{M_{I-F}}x\|[/tex]

where [itex]M_{I-F}[/itex] is the closed subspace spanned by the vectors in the [itex]P_i(H)[/itex] with [itex]i\in I-F[/itex]. But then what? I still don't see how to pick an F that makes the above as small as I want.

Physics news on Phys.org
Allright, I think I finally found it. First, let us fix some notation: let [tex]M_i=P_i(H)[/tex] and [tex]M=P(H)[/tex]. Let's focus on this question first:

For [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], find a finite set [tex]F_0\subseteq I[/tex] such that

[tex]\|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{P_ix}\|<\epsilon[/tex]

We know that [tex]Px\in M[/tex], and we know that [tex]M=\overline{span\{M_i~\vert~i\in F_0\}}[/tex]. Thus there exist a finite set F0 and vectors [tex]m_i\in M_i[/tex] for [tex]i\in F_0[/tex], such that [tex]\|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}\|<\epsilon[/tex].

Now, do the following:

[tex]\|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{P_ix}\|\leq \|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}\|+\|\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}-\sum_{i\in F_0}{P_ix}\|[/tex]

I'll let you continue from here... It is of course obvious that you should try to find an upper bound to [tex]\|m_i-P_ix\|[/tex]...

micromass said:
We know that [tex]Px\in M[/tex], and we know that [tex]M=\overline{span\{M_i~\vert~i\in F_0\}}[/tex]. Thus there exist a finite set F0 and vectors [tex]m_i\in M_i[/tex] for [tex]i\in F_0[/tex], such that [tex]\|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}\|<\epsilon[/tex].
Aha. (I assume the first [itex]\in F_0[/itex] should be [itex]\in I[/itex]). Px is in the closure of the set of linear combinations of members of the Mi, and that means that every open ball around Px contains one of those linear combinations. Very clever. (Nothing like this occurred to me when I was thinking about this problem).

micromass said:
[tex]\|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{P_ix}\|\leq \|Px-\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}\|+\|\sum_{i\in F_0}{m_i}-\sum_{i\in F_0}{P_ix}\|[/tex]

I'll let you continue from here... It is of course obvious that you should try to find an upper bound to [tex]\|m_i-P_ix\|[/tex]...
I actually have to go to bed, but I'll continue tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Fredrik said:
Aha. (I assume the first [itex]\in F_0[/itex] should be [itex]\in I[/itex])

Yes, of course. I reread my post 10 times to check for typo's, and they're still one left. I suck at typing correct things...

I'm so dumb I wasn't able to see how to use the other thing you hinted, but I found a way to solve the problem (using your first hint). Perhaps not the most elegant solution. I decided to express Px as a sum of vectors that belong to the Mi plus a "remainder" that's orthogonal to the other terms.

[tex]\varepsilon^2>\Big\|\sum_{i\in F_0}m_i-Px\Big\|^2=\Big\|\sum_{i\in F_0}(m_i-P_i x)+(Px)^\perp_{F_0}\Big\|^2=\sum_{i\in F_0}\|m_i-P_ix\|^2+\|(Px)^\perp_{F_0}\|^2\geq \|(Px)^\perp_{F_0}\|^2[/tex]

Then I realized that what I called [itex](Px)^\perp_{F_0}[/itex] here is what I called [itex]P_{M_{I-F}}x[/itex] in my first post. So

[tex]\Big\|\sum_{i\in F_0}P_ix-Px\big\|=\|P_{M_{I-F}}x\|=\|(Px)^\perp_{F_0}\|<\varepsilon[/tex]

And then the rest wasn't too hard. If [itex]F\geq F_0[/itex], then [itex]I-F\subset I-F_0[/itex] and

[tex]\Big\|\sum_{i\in F}P_ix-Px\big\|=\|P_{M_{I-F}}x\|=\|P_{M_{I-F}}P_{M_{I-F_0}}x\|\leq\|P_{M_{I-F_0}}x\|<\varepsilon[/tex]

Thanks again for the help. If your solution differs significantly from mine, I would be interested in seeing it.

Yes, this was basically what I had in mind. My solution is just a bit longer and less elegant :smile:

Related to Functional analysis, projection operators

What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics and mathematical analysis that studies spaces of functions and their properties. It uses tools and concepts from linear algebra and topology to analyze and understand the behavior of functions and their relationships with each other.

What are projection operators?

Projection operators are mathematical tools used in functional analysis to project a vector or function onto a subspace. They can be thought of as a way to "slice" a vector or function into different components that lie within a particular subspace.

What is the purpose of using projection operators in functional analysis?

The use of projection operators in functional analysis allows for a better understanding of the properties and behavior of functions. They can help simplify complex problems and provide a clearer picture of the relationships between different functions. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

What are some common examples of projection operators?

One common example of a projection operator is the orthogonal projection onto a subspace, where the projection of a vector onto a subspace is the closest vector in that subspace to the original vector. Another example is the spectral projection, which projects a function onto the subspace spanned by its eigenvectors.

How are projection operators used in real-life applications?

Projection operators have various applications in real-life scenarios, such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and data compression. They are also commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of quantum systems. In statistics, projection operators are used to perform principal component analysis, a technique for reducing the dimensionality of data sets.