Show that a set has no "unique nearest point" property

psie
Homework Statement
Let ##c_0## be the real vector space of all real sequences that converge to ##0##. Let ##S## be the subset of ##c_0## consisting of all elements ##(x_n)## such that ##\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }2^{-n}x_n=0##. Show that ##S## is a closed subspace of ##c_0## and that no point of ##c_0\setminus S## has a closest point in ##S##.
Relevant Equations
Linear functionals, kernel, sequence spaces, norms, etc.
From Bridges' Foundations of Real and Abstract Analysis.

I'm given the following hint. Given ##a=(a_n)\in c_0\setminus S##, set ##\alpha=\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }2^{-n}a_n## and show that ##d(a,S)\leq|\alpha|##. Let ##x=(x_n)\in S##, suppose that ##\lVert a-x\rVert\leq|\alpha|##, and obtain a contradiction.

I can show that ##S## is a closed subspace of ##c_0## by considering the linear functional $$\phi : c_0 \to \Bbb{R} : (x_n) \mapsto \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n}x_n,$$ and show that it is bounded and hence its kernel is closed, which is ##S##. But I'm stuck at the second part. I do not really understand the hint. I do not know how to show ##d(a,S)\leq|\alpha|##, why we can suppose ##\lVert a-x\rVert\leq|\alpha|## and what would be contradicted. Grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex]d(a,S)[/itex]?

Likes psie
pasmith said:
What is [itex]d(a,S)[/itex]?
It is ##d(a,S)=\inf\{\lVert a-x\rVert :x\in S\}##, where the norm is ##\lVert a\rVert=\sup_n |a_n|##.

If the summation was [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 2^{1-n}x_n[/itex], then we could say that [tex]
b_n = \begin{cases} a_1 - \alpha & n = 1 \\ a_n & n > 1 \end{cases}[/tex] is a member of [itex]S[/itex] which is a distance [itex]|\alpha|[/itex] from [itex]a[/itex]. Unfortunately because the summation is [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 2^{-n}a_n[/itex], we have instead to set [tex]
b_n = \begin{cases} a_1 - 2\alpha & n = 1 \\ a_n & n > 1 \end{cases}[/tex] which is a distance [itex]2|\alpha|[/itex] from [itex]a[/itex].

If there exists an element [itex]x \in S[/itex] which is closest to [itex]a[/itex], then it satisfies [tex]0 < d(a,x) = d(a,S) \leq |\alpha|[/tex] (if the question is correct) because [itex]x \neq a[/itex]. So when looking for such an element it makes no sense to look for one with [itex]d(a,x) > |\alpha|[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes psie
pasmith said:
If there exists an element [itex]x \in S[/itex] which is closest to [itex]a[/itex], then it satisfies [tex]0 < d(a,x) = d(a,S) \leq |\alpha|[/tex] (if the question is correct) because [itex]x \neq a[/itex].
I don't understand your claim. Shouldn't it be ##0<d(a,x)=d(a,S)\leq 2|\alpha|##?

The following article was quite helpful (start reading from "A counterexample in the Banach space ##c_0##"). This treats a similar case as in the exercise above, except they use the summation ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty 2^{-n}x_n##. Does it make any difference if we use ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty 2^{-n}x_n## versus ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty 2^{-n}x_n##?

psie said:
The following article was quite helpful (start reading from "A counterexample in the Banach space ##c0##"). This treats a similar case as in the exercise above, except they use the summation ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty 2^{-n}x_n##. Does it make any difference if we use ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty 2^{-n}x_n## versus ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty 2^{-n}x_n##?
Certainly no difference in convergence in general, nor convergence to ##0##. A finite set of terms won't make a difference either way.

Likes psie
psie said:
I don't understand your claim. Shouldn't it be ##0<d(a,x)=d(a,S)\leq 2|\alpha|##?

By definition, [itex]d(a,x) = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]a = x[/itex]. Here we know [itex]a \neq x[/itex] since [itex]x \in S[/itex] while [itex]a \notin S[/itex].

pasmith said:
By definition, [itex]d(a,x) = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]a = x[/itex]. Here we know [itex]a \neq x[/itex] since [itex]x \in S[/itex] while [itex]a \notin S[/itex].
This explains why ##0<d(a,S)##, but not why ##d(a,S)\leq |\alpha|##. The example you gave with $$b_n = \begin{cases} a_1 - 2\alpha & n = 1 \\ a_n & n > 1, \end{cases}$$ shows that there is an element of ##S## with a distance ##2|\alpha|## from ##a##. So the distance ##d(a,S)## should be at most ##2|\alpha|##. What am I misinterpreting?

I suspect your ##d##is a distance function, but not a metric. Take, e.g., ##S:=\{(x,0): x \in \mathbb R\}## , i.e., the x-axis , and ##T:=\{(x,y): x,y\ in \mathbb R: xy=1\}##, i.e., the curve ##y=1/x; x>0## Then ##d(S,T)=0##, as the points in ##y=1/x## get indefinitely close to the x-axis as x goes to ##\infty##, so that ##d(S,T)=0##, but ##S\neq T##. Yes, the use of ##d## is confusing, maybe something like ##Dist(x,y)## would be better here.

Likes psie
psie said:
This explains why ##0<d(a,S)##, but not why ##d(a,S)\leq |\alpha|##. The example you gave with $$b_n = \begin{cases} a_1 - 2\alpha & n = 1 \\ a_n & n > 1, \end{cases}$$ shows that there is an element of ##S## with a distance ##2|\alpha|## from ##a##. So the distance ##d(a,S)## should be at most ##2|\alpha|##. What am I misinterpreting?

I am assuming that the question is correct in its assertion that [itex]d(a,S) \leq |\alpha|[/itex].

psie said:
I'm given the following hint. Given ##a=(a_n)\in c_0\setminus S##, set ##\alpha=\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }2^{-n}a_n## and show that ##d(a,S)\leq|\alpha|##. Let ##x=(x_n)\in S##, suppose that ##\lVert a-x\rVert\leq|\alpha|##, and obtain a contradiction.
Let ##a=(a_1,a_2,a_3,...)\in c_0\setminus S## be given and according to the metric

psie said:
It is ##d(a,S)=\inf\{\lVert a-x\rVert :x\in S\}##, where the norm is ##\lVert a\rVert=\sup_n |a_n|##.
We can check that ##\alpha## is finite and estimate range of values it can take
$$\left|\ \alpha \right| ~
= \left| \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n} \right|
\leq \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\|a\|}{2^n}
= \|a\| \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}
= \|a\|$$

Let ##x=(a_1-\alpha,a_2-\alpha,a_3-\alpha,...)## is given where
$$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x_n}{2^n}
= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{a_n-\alpha}{2^n}
= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha}{2^n}
=\alpha-\alpha
=0$$
and
$$d(a,x)
=\| a-x\|=\sup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} |a_n-x_n|
=\sup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} |a_n-a_n+\alpha|
= |\alpha|$$
but ( Edit: ##-\alpha## instead of ##\alpha## in lim ...)
$$\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} x_n = -\alpha \neq 0 \Rightarrow x \not\in S $$
Can you do something about ##x \not\in S## ?

Last edited:
Likes psie
Bosko said:
We can check that ##\alpha## is finite and estimate range of values it can take
$$\left|\ \alpha \right| ~
= \left| \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n} \right|
\leq \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\|a\|}{2^n}
= \|a\| \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}
= \|a\|$$
This computation shows ##d(a,S)\leq \lVert a\rVert##, but how does one show ##d(a,S)\leq |\alpha|##?

psie said:
This computation shows ##d(a,S)\leq \lVert a\rVert##, but how does one show ##d(a,S)\leq |\alpha|##?
TIP:
If ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} 1/2^i=1## and ##\sum_{i=n+1}^{\infty} 1/2^i=1/2^n##
how much is
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2^i}=?$$

Can you make array of sequences
##x_1=(a_1-\text{"something"},a_2,a_3,...)##
##x_2=(a_1-\text{"something"},a_2-\text{"something"},a_3,...)##
##x_n=(a_1-\text{"something"},a_2-\text{"something"},a_3-\text{"something"},...,a_{n-1}-\text{"something"},a_n-\text{"something"},a_{n+1},...)##
so that they belong to ##S## ?

Check #2 post > https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-nearest-point-property.1059670/post-7055518
What @pasmith doing ?

Last edited:
Bosko said:
TIP:
If ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} 1/2^i=1## and ##\sum_{i=n+1}^{\infty} 1/2^i=1/2^n##
how much is
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2^i}=?$$
From
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2^i}=1-\frac{1}{2^n}=\frac{2^n-1}{2^n}$$
it follows
$$\frac{2^n}{2^n-1} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2^i}=1$$
Multiplying both sides by ##-\alpha## we get
$$- \frac{2^n\alpha}{2^n-1} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2^i}=-\alpha$$
For n=1 sequence ##x_1## is ##(a_1-2\alpha,a_2,a_3,a_4,...)## and the distance from ##a## to ##x_1## is ##2\alpha##.
For n=2 sequence ##x_2## is ##(a_1-4\alpha/3,a_2-4\alpha/3,a_3,a_4,...)## and the distance from ##a## to ##x_2## is ##4\alpha/3##.
For n=3 sequence ##x_3## is ##(a_1-8\alpha/7,a_2-8\alpha/7,a_3-8\alpha/7,a_4,...)## and the distance from ##a## to ##x_3## is ##8\alpha/7##.
The distance from ##a## to ##x_n## is ##2^n\alpha/(2^n-1)##

Likes psie

Related to Show that a set has no "unique nearest point" property

1. How can I show that a set has no "unique nearest point" property?

To show that a set has no "unique nearest point" property, you can provide a counterexample where there are multiple points in the set that are equidistant from a given point outside the set.

2. What does it mean for a set to have a "unique nearest point" property?

A set has the "unique nearest point" property if for every point outside the set, there is exactly one point in the set that is closest to it.

3. Can you give an example of a set that does not have the "unique nearest point" property?

One example of a set that does not have the "unique nearest point" property is a set of points forming a circle. For any point outside the circle, there are infinitely many points on the circle that are equidistant from it.

4. How does the lack of "unique nearest point" property affect optimization algorithms?

The lack of "unique nearest point" property can complicate optimization algorithms that rely on finding the closest point in a set, as there may be multiple equally valid closest points to consider.

5. Are there any practical applications where the "unique nearest point" property is important?

The "unique nearest point" property is important in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and data analysis, where determining the closest point in a set is a crucial step in decision-making processes.