Theorem About Binary Operations - Introductory Analysis

In summary: The statement "f: ℝ→ℝ" means that whenever you evaluate f at a point in the real line, the result will be a real number. So, if x<0, then the result of evaluating f at x will be less than 1. This is not a real number, so the function does not have an image in ℝ near x<0.
Ethan Godden

Homework Statement

This theorem comes from the book "The Real Numbers and Real Analysis" by Bloch. I am having a hard time understanding a particular part of the proof given in the book.

Prove the following theorem:

There is a unique binary operation +:ℕ×ℕ→ℕ that satisfies the following two properties for all n,m ∈ ℕ.
1) n+1=s(n)
2)n+s(m)=s(n+m)

Homework Equations

The following is info that can be used to prove the theorem
Definition: Let S be a set. A binary operation on S is a function S×S→S.
Axiom: There exists a set ℕ with an element 1 ∈ ℕ and a function s:ℕ→ℕ that satisfy the following three properties
1) There is no n ∈ ℕ such that s(n) = 1
2) The function s is injective (one-to-one)
3)Let G⊆ℕ be a set. Suppose 1 ∈ G, and that if g ∈ G then s(g) ∈ G. Then G = ℕ
Lemma: Let a ∈ ℕ. Suppose a ≠ 1. Then there is a unique b ∈ ℕ such that a = s(b)
Theorem (Defintion by Recursion): Let H be a set, let e ∈ H and let k: H→H be a function. Then there is a unique function f: ℕ→H such that f(1)=e, and f(s(n))=k(f(n))

The Attempt at a Solution

The following is the proof given in the book for existence of such an operation . The underlined bolded part is what I am having trouble understanding.

Suppose p ∈ ℕ. We can apply the theorem above to the set ℕ, the element s(p) ∈ ℕ and the function s: ℕ→ℕ to deduce that there is a unique function fp:ℕ→ℕ such that fp(1)=s(p) and fp(s(n)) = s(fp(n))...

Why is s(p) ∈ ℕ? I do realize the function s is defined as s:ℕ→ℕ, so the output of the function s (if it exists) must be in ℕ, but how do we know s(p) is defined from the above info or from the definition, axiom, or theorem above. The only reason I can think of is we can assume for any p that s(p) is defined, but I am not conviced because that axiom only says the function is injective, not bijective,

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Ethan

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan Godden said:
Why is s(p) ∈ ℕ? I do realize the function s is defined as s:ℕ→ℕ, so the output of the function s (if it exists) must be in ℕ, but how do we know s(p) is defined from the above info or from the definition, axiom, or theorem above.
These propositions are asserted by the axiom. Note that it is an Axiom, not a Definition. An axiom asserts a proposition, that is thenceforth to be accepted as true. A definition specifies a property and attaches a label to that property. It does not assert that there is necessarily anything satisfying that property. For that, an axiom or a proof is needed.

By accepting the axiom, we are accepting that there exists a function s with the required properties, including that its image lies in ##\mathbb N##. Note, by the way that the axiom does not assert that ##s## is the only function from ##\mathbb N## to ##\mathbb N## that satisfies those properties. It remains to be proved (should we wish to do so (and it is possible to do so)) that s is the only such function.

andrewkirk said:
By accepting the axiom, we are accepting that there exists a function s with the required properties, including that its image lies in NN\mathbb N.

I understand that if s(p) exists, its image lies in ℕ by the axiom, but isn't it possible that s(p) is not defined at p? After all, doesn't the axiom say that the function s is injective. Wouldn't it need to be bijective or surjective in order for s(p) to be defined for all possible p ∈ ℕ? I hope I am not bypassing anything you said in the first paragraph that explains this.I still do not quite understand how I can deduce s(p) is defined for all p from the axiom.

Thank You,

Ethan

Ethan Godden said:
isn't it possible that s(p) is not defined at p?
No. The statement that ##s:\mathbb N\to\mathbb N## means, amongst other things, that ##s(p)## is defined for every natural number ##p##. In other words, its domain is ##\mathbb N##.
Wouldn't it need to be bijective or surjective in order for s(p) to be defined for all possible p ∈ ℕ?
No. The function ##n\mapsto 2n## is defined on all natural numbers but it is not surjective: its image is only the even numbers.

andrewkirk said:
No. The statement that s:N→Ns:N→Ns:\mathbb N\to\mathbb N means, amongst other things, that s(p)s(p)s(p) is defined for every natural number ppp. In other words, its domain is NN\mathbb N.

Ok, what about a function f:ℝ→ℝ such that f(x)=√x? This would mean its not defined for x<0, but how could we deduce that from "f: ℝ→ℝ" only like in this question?

I think I found a reason for why s(p) is defined for every p. I believe part 3 of the axiom implies s∈ℕ→s(p)∈ℕ because given a set G1 such that it does not follow this axiom and a set G2 that does follow the axiom,G1 ≠ G2 = ℕ → G1 ≠ ℕ. It can't equal ℕ because of the definition of set equality. Is this correct reasoning?

What I originally thought was part 3 was a simple implication where a→b, but that does not mean b→a. The b→a is the p∈ℕ→s(p)∈ℕ in axiom 3.

Thank You,

Ethan

Ethan Godden said:
Ok, what about a function f:ℝ→ℝ such that f(x)=√x? This would mean its not defined for x<0, but how could we deduce that from "f: ℝ→ℝ" only like in this question?

The simple reason is that ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow \sqrt{x}## is dead wrong. That ##f## is not a function. One of the requirements of a function says exactly that every element in the domain has an image. This is not true with the square root. However, we could write ##f:\mathbb{R}^+\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow \sqrt{x}##.

So the answer to your OP is clear: ##s:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow \mathbb{N}## is defined to be a function, so ##s(p)## exists for all ##p\in \mathbb{N}##.

Thank you,

I understand now. It kind of odd that I haven't had problems before with this misunderstanding.

I know this is an old thread, but this is in regards to book, Bloch: Real Numbers and Real Analysis. It was confusing for a bit to me, it took me like 3 days to understand.

We apply the Definition of Recursion to the Peano Postulates. We know by definition of the set of Natural Numbers, it's existence is given by parts a,b,c of the Peano Postulates.

Related to Theorem About Binary Operations - Introductory Analysis

What is the Theorem About Binary Operations?

The Theorem About Binary Operations is a fundamental concept in introductory analysis that states that the result of any binary operation between two elements in a set is also an element in that same set. In other words, performing a specific mathematical operation on two elements from a set will always result in an element from that same set.

How is the Theorem About Binary Operations used in mathematics?

The Theorem About Binary Operations is used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and group theory. It allows mathematicians to prove theorems and make deductions about the properties and behaviors of different mathematical operations.

What are some examples of binary operations?

Some examples of binary operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations take two elements (numbers, variables, or expressions) and produce a result. For example, 2 + 3 = 5, where 2 and 3 are the elements and 5 is the result.

Is the Theorem About Binary Operations always true?

Yes, the Theorem About Binary Operations is always true for any set with a defined binary operation. It is a fundamental property of mathematical operations and is essential for the development of more complex mathematical concepts and theories.

How is the Theorem About Binary Operations related to closure?

The Theorem About Binary Operations is closely related to the concept of closure, which states that performing a specific operation on elements from a set will always result in an element from that same set. In other words, closure is a direct consequence of the Theorem About Binary Operations.