Sequence of projection is Cauchy

In summary, the conversation is about proving that {P_i(e)} is Cauchy for any e in a pre-Hilbert space V, where {M_i} is an orthogonal sequence of complete subspaces and P_i is the orthogonal projection on M_i. The solution involves taking V to be a Hilbert space and using the formula P_n(e)=e-\sum_{i=1,i \neq n}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)} to show that \sum_{i=1}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)} converges.
yifli

Homework Statement

Let {M_i} be an orthogonal sequence of complete subspaces of a pre-Hilbert space V, and let P_i be the orthogonal projection on M_i. Prove that {P_i(e)} is Cauchy for any e in V

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm trying to prove as n and m goes infinity, [tex]\left\|P_n(e)-P_m(e)\right\|^2\rightarrow 0[/tex]

Here is what I've got so far:
[tex]\left\|P_n(e)-P_m(e)\right\|^2=\left\|P_n(e)\right\|^2+\left\|P_m(e)\right\|^2[/tex] because P_n(e) is orthogonal to P_m(e), how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yifli! :smile:

First, we can take V to be a Hilbert space. Indeed, try to prove this by taking the completion of V.

Second, try to do something with [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)}[/itex]?

micromass said:
Second, try to do something with [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)}[/itex]?

I did try that:
[tex]P_n(e)=e-\sum_{i=1,i \neq n}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)}[/tex].

substituting the above formula into [tex]\left\|P_n(e)-P_m(e)\right\|[/tex] gives me the same thing

What did I miss?

yifli said:
I did try that:
[tex]P_n(e)=e-\sum_{i=1,i \neq n}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)}[/tex].

Firstly, This formula doesn't hold.
Secondly, my point was that [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{+\infty}{P_i(e)}[/itex] converges. Thus...

Related to Sequence of projection is Cauchy

1. What is the definition of "Sequence of projection is Cauchy"?

The sequence of projection is Cauchy if it converges to the same limit as the sequence of its projections.

2. How is the sequence of projection related to the Cauchy criterion?

The sequence of projection is related to the Cauchy criterion because it satisfies the condition of convergence for the Cauchy criterion. This means that the sequence of projection is Cauchy if and only if it satisfies the Cauchy criterion.

3. Can you provide an example of a Cauchy sequence of projection?

Yes, an example of a Cauchy sequence of projection is the sequence of rational numbers. This sequence is Cauchy because it converges to the same limit as the sequence of its projections.

4. How does the Cauchy criterion relate to the concept of completeness?

The Cauchy criterion is a necessary and sufficient condition for a sequence to be convergent. This means that a sequence that satisfies the Cauchy criterion is complete, and a complete sequence satisfies the Cauchy criterion. In other words, completeness and the Cauchy criterion are equivalent concepts.

5. What is the significance of "Sequence of projection is Cauchy" in mathematics?

The concept of "Sequence of projection is Cauchy" is significant in mathematics because it provides a way to determine whether a sequence is convergent or not. It is also closely related to the concept of completeness, which is important in many areas of mathematics, such as analysis and topology.