Welcome to the World of Science: A Young Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter AndyPIXEL
  • Start date
In summary, "Welcome to the World of Science: A Young Scientist's Perspective" is a comprehensive and engaging book that introduces young readers to the exciting world of science. Written from the perspective of a young scientist, it covers a wide range of topics and encourages readers to explore and engage with science in a fun and interactive way. The target audience for this book is typically between 8-12 years old and it stands out from other science books for young readers by providing a relatable and comprehensive overview of scientific concepts. Readers can expect to learn about various scientific topics and how to think critically and creatively about them. This book also has the potential to inspire young readers to pursue a career in science by showing them the diverse and exciting opportunities that the field
AndyPIXEL
Hello everyone, this is Andrew here, and I must say that it is one breath of fresh air to find a website such as this. I am currently 14 years old, and very heavy into the sciences. Seeing as though I am too young to take physics as a regular course in my high school, I have been getting involved in anything related, in hopes of increasing my chances of attending honors physics and physics2.
People don't take very kindly to my heavy addiction to the sciences, especially my piers, so it is great to have a place to discuss with others like myself.
Hello, and hope to hang around, and learn for a long time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Andy. :smile:

We hope that you'll enjoy our forum, and perhaps even learn a thing or two!

- Warren

AndyPIXEL said:
Hello everyone, this is Andrew here, and I must say that it is one breath of fresh air to find a website such as this. I am currently 14 years old, and very heavy into the sciences. Seeing as though I am too young to take physics as a regular course in my high school, I have been getting involved in anything related, in hopes of increasing my chances of attending honors physics and physics2.
People don't take very kindly to my heavy addiction to the sciences, especially my piers, so it is great to have a place to discuss with others like myself.

Aloha!
I face the same problem. I am very addicted to the sciences, and of course my piers don't understand why. I am about your age myself, and as you can imagine (or rather relate to), science is the last thing on the mind of kids today. tsk, tsk. What would the world be without such a field? We would still be cave men. :rolleyes:
Anywho, I joined here for the same reason as you. I am unable to discuss inquiries I have in advanced topics, or just those good ol' semantics & philosophy topics with really smart people. The best part of physics forums is, I don't need to simplify my vocab! Everyone here understands what I say and doesn't complain about the "long words" I use. [sigh] this is truly a sanctuary. You will indubitably (sp?) have a groovy time. ENJOY. :biggrin:

[spelling nazi]
piers = what a boat is docked to
peers = your fellow human beings
[\spelling nazi]

Welcome to the forums, Andy!

Hello Andrew (or AndyPIXEL), you'll find quite a few young people around here. I believe the youngest member we have is an eleven-year-old. I'm also 14 and I enjoy a wide range of things, science being one of them. I'm already taking Physics at school, but classes are so dull that I feel I've started to lose interest in it. My current passion is Mathematics, something that I've only just 'discovered' thanks to the excellent Math section of the Physics forums. Trust me, you'll have a wonderful time here.

Just remember your place AndyPIXEL! Theres only one true Andy around here, lol. Hope you enjoy it here.

hello. Everyone comes here with the notion of learning physics, I got sucked into the black hole of general discussion though. It's ok, at least it's warm!

Hope we don't scare you and you feel inclined to stay!

AndyPIXEL said:
I'm not a jerk and I'm just messing around.
There has to be a joke in the "piers" comment.
Welcome to Physicsforums.

enigma said:
[spelling nazi]
[\spelling nazi]

Welcome to the forums, Andy!
Hey, enema! Can I be your Deputy Spelling Nazzi?? :biggrin:

edit: oh yeah! welcome to PF, AndyPIXEL!

Tsunami said:
Hey, enema!

:eek:

That's the second time in a week that I've been called that.

Are you all trying to tell me something? :confused: :biggrin: :confused:

enema

enigma

jimmy p said:
hello. Everyone comes here with the notion of learning physics, I got sucked into the black hole of general discussion though. It's ok, at least it's warm!

Hope we don't scare you and you feel inclined to stay!

Andy,

Keep in mind, you will only learn Physics on your own time, not here. There is only great help here, no Physics lessons.

- Tom

Welcome, Andy. The best thing about this forum is that you will meet people from all over the world who also have your passion for the sciences. Have fun!

enigma said:
[spelling nazi]
[\spelling nazi]
p.s. just for the record

pier = what a boat is docked to
piers = what boats are docked to

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. just for the record

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hey, enema! :biggrin: Never mind!

Math is Hard! Can I be YOUR Deputy Spelling/English Nazi? :wink: :biggrin:

Very well, then.
Enigma can police the spelling, and Tsu and I will look after the grammar.
:biggrin:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Very well, then.
Deal. :wink:

I was actually very glad that enigma volunteered to be the spelling nazi. :biggrin: I think I saw that it was one of his pet peeves in another thread. It is also one of mine.

So, enigma. Who was the other one who called you 'enema'? :biggrin: Would that possibly beeee... IVAN? :eek: He's the one who suggested I call you 'enema' in my post. (I was reading your post to him because I thought your 'spelling nazi' thing was pretty hysterical. But I also thought it was pretty funny to change (misspell) the spelling of your name to 'enema' since part of my job occasionally involves administering them! :eek:) But now I (think I) see, that IVAN is trying to get me into TROUBLE again, isn't he? :eek: :biggrin: :tongue: Hmmmmmm... Revenge will be sweet. :wink:

Math Is Hard said:
Very well, then.

OK, we have a spelling nazi, and a grammar nazi. Would anyone like to volunteer to be the syntax nazi?

We need to find a volunteer for soup nazi also.

what kind of soup is it?

mahtza ball

Chi Meson said:
OK, we have a spelling nazi, and a grammar nazi. Would anyone like to volunteer to be the syntax nazi?
Oh oh. I think we're ALL in big trouble now! :eek:

Soup nazi? I think I heard Jason Alexander is out of a job... Maybe he'd like to be our soup nazi! :biggrin:

what is a matza ball? It sounds good though... is it?

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. just for the record

I object! A single boat could be docked to more than one pier!

cookiemonster

I am new as well

enigma said:
We need to find a volunteer for soup nazi also.
I wil be the soup nazi if I can also be a spelling nazi. I cannot tolerate misspelled words.

I will never forget the time that one of my peers was working on a sales proposal for a very large account. Her cover letter to the customer said "I am sure you will agree we have great rats". She meant to type rates.

She did a spell check in word and of course rats went right through.

She lost the deal, I guess the client didn't think her rats were that great.

(She never noticed her error, I happened to find it when I was browsing the client's folder a few months later.)

P.S. Welcome Ebolamonk3y!

My boss (who's spelling is horrible) actually let a memo go out to a client stating something along the lines of:

When you cum to meet us

Luckily, someone he used to work with on the other side caught it and fixed it before it went to the bigwig. After that happened, I insisted that I proofread anything and everything he typed...

(Hint hint: "whose.")

cookiemonster

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I'm the spelling nazi, not the grammar nazi.

Whose job was that now? I'm sure they'll be a little concerned you're stepping on their toes.

I just like being an English nazi in general. :wink:

cookiemonster

Mein Kampf would be your preffered reading... You get to get into Hitler's youthful mind as he struggles with his grades, his father, his damn living conditions and his failure as an artist and his artistical creation of his nazi party...

Bwahahahhaa!

preferred, Nazi, artistic (artistical isn't a word...)!

cookienazi

Wow, cookienazi is one tough cookie!

Ebolamonk3y said:
his damn living conditions

"his damned living conditions"

I wonder if our new member is fed up with us yet?
Are we being too anal?

Ah, crap. I totally skipped right over that one.

cookiemonster

Hhhhaa LLEH