Exploring the Non-Scientific Side of Being a Scientist: Joining the PF Community

• Thread starter Natuurfenomeen22
  • Start date
In summary, joining the PF Community allows scientists to explore the non-scientific aspects of their profession and connect with like-minded individuals. Through various events, discussions, and resources, members can develop their communication, leadership, and networking skills, as well as gain a better understanding of the social and cultural impacts of science. This community provides a valuable platform for scientists to engage in interdisciplinary dialogue and collaboration, fostering a more well-rounded and socially aware approach to their work.
Natuurfenomeen22
Greetings fellow PF users,

Today I decided to join up this forum, for a good deal of reasons.
After finishing my masters it has taken me a long while to find my path, and I can even argue the road is not fully paved yet. So one of the main reasons for joining is to keep my inquisitive spirit high, to find out new information about all the interesting topics that are offered here. My main interest and specialization is Biology, specifically in Evolution, Biodiversity and Conservational Biology. Because of this I hope to assist people that may have trouble in these areas whilst simultaneously keeping up with the current state of affairs and learning more about it all in the process.

Furthermore I hope to learn more about communicating science to the general populace as that is my current employment, it is my goal to be better at this so I can effectively communicate science topics with regards to the level of any recipient both in English as well as my native language.

What I also hope is that in due time I can start working on my own research topics once again with actual funding instead of as citizen scientist as I have found out that doesn't work very well for me at this stage.

Kind regards,

Jorn

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. Good to have you here. :smile:

Natuurfenomeen22 said:
Greetings fellow PF users,

Today I decided to join up this forum, for a good deal of reasons.
After finishing my masters it has taken me a long while to find my path, and I can even argue the road is not fully paved yet. So one of the main reasons for joining is to keep my inquisitive spirit high, to find out new information about all the interesting topics that are offered here. My main interest and specialization is Biology, specifically in Evolution, Biodiversity and Conservational Biology. Because of this I hope to assist people that may have trouble in these areas whilst simultaneously keeping up with the current state of affairs and learning more about it all in the process.

Furthermore I hope to learn more about communicating science to the general populace as that is my current employment, it is my goal to be better at this so I can effectively communicate science topics with regards to the level of any recipient both in English as well as my native language.

What I also hope is that in due time I can start working on my own research topics once again with actual funding instead of as citizen scientist as I have found out that doesn't work very well for me at this stage.

Kind regards,

Jorn
Hello Jorn! I like Biology a lot, a big fan of insects here! I also just joined. Besides subject-specific topics, I'm highly interested in the non-scientific aspects of being a scientist. I think there's a lot to learn about how we can lead better lives while having this profession :)

Likes Natuurfenomeen22