A Parabola and Ellipse question.

In summary, the conversation discusses two math problems. The first problem involves finding the depth of a parabolic dish with a receiver at the focus, given its diameter and distance from the focus to the vertex. The second problem involves finding the height of the ceiling in a hallway with semi-elliptical shape, given its width, the height at the center, and the height of the walls. There is some confusion about the wording of the second problem, but it can be interpreted in two ways and it is recommended to solve it both ways to be safe.
ultimatejester
Hi everyone.

I tried solving these questions but can't seems to get anywhere. I am not used to questions like these specially word problems. Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Question 1:
The receiver of the satellite dish is at the focus of the parabola dish. The focus is 80 cm from the vertex of the dish. If the dish is 4m in diameter, find it depth.

Question 2:
The ceiling in a hallway 10m wide is in the shape of a semiellipse. The semiellipse is 9m high in the centre. The walls of the hallway are 6m high. Find the height of the ceiling 2 m from either wall.

I could even draw the diagram for the second one.
:confused:

Thnx for the help. :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ultimatejester said:
Question 1:
The receiver of the satellite dish is at the focus of the parabola dish. The focus is 80 cm from the vertex of the dish. If the dish is 4m in diameter, find it depth.
Model the dish as the parabola with equation:

[tex]y = ax^2 + 0.80[/tex]

This puts the focus at (0, 1.60) and the directrix is the x-axis (a > 0). Now, you also know that any point on the parabola is equally distant from the focus and the directrix, so you can set up another equation:

[tex]y = \sqrt{(y - 1.60)^2 - x^2}[/tex]

Finally, the depth will be the y-value of the parabola at its highest point minus the y-value at the lowest point. You know the lowest point is at the vertex of the parabola, where y = 0.80. Since the parabola is a dish that's 4m in diameter, the "highest point" occurs when x = 2.0 or -2.0. Hopefully, you understand why that is. So, we have another equation:

[tex]x = 2.0[/tex]

Now, you have 3 equations, 3 unknowns, I'll leave the solution to you. Simply solve for y and do the necessary subtraction to find the depth of the dish.

Question 2:
The ceiling in a hallway 10m wide is in the shape of a semiellipse. The semiellipse is 9m high in the centre. The walls of the hallway are 6m high. Find the height of the ceiling 2 m from either wall.
Okay, this is how to visualize it: you have a hallway that is essentially 9 + 6 = 15m high. From the bottom, the walls go straight up for 6m, then start curving inwards and meet each other at the top of the ceiling. I'll let you try it on your own first, I've attached an image for you to help with the visualization.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,001
AKG, are you sure when they say "[t]he semiellipse is 9m high in the centre" it means that it is 9 meters high above the walls? I thought it means that the center of the semiellipse is 9 meters above the ground, making it 3 meters above the walls, with a total height of the hallway being 9m.

Chen said:
AKG, are you sure when they say "[t]he semiellipse is 9m high in the centre" it means that it is 9 meters high above the walls? I thought it means that the center of the semiellipse is 9 meters above the ground, making it 3 meters above the walls, with a total height of the hallway being 9m.

Thts, exactly what i was thinking.

Well, it says that the ceiling is in the shape of a semi-elipse and that semi-elipse is 9m high. If it were like what you (Chen and ultimatejester) were thinking, then I believe they would have said that the halway was in the shape of the semi-elipse, which was 9m high. I'm not entirely sure, though; it's a poorly-worded question. I would pick one way, and go with it, or if it matters and you want to be safe, do it both ways.

1. What is a parabola and ellipse?

A parabola is a type of curve that is created when a point moves in a plane so that its distance from a fixed point (called the focus) is equal to its distance from a fixed straight line (called the directrix). An ellipse is a type of curve that is created when a point moves in a plane so that the sum of its distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is constant.

2. What are the main differences between a parabola and an ellipse?

The main difference between a parabola and an ellipse is the shape of the curve. A parabola is a U-shaped curve, while an ellipse is an oval-shaped curve. Another difference is the number of foci: a parabola has one focus, while an ellipse has two foci.

3. How are parabolas and ellipses used in real life?

Parabolas and ellipses have many real-life applications. Parabolas are used in the design of bridges, arches, and satellite dishes, as well as in the trajectory of projectiles. Ellipses are used in the design of orbits for satellites and planets, as well as in the shape of lenses and mirrors in telescopes and cameras.

4. What is the equation for a parabola and an ellipse?

The general equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. The general equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively.

5. What are some real-life examples of parabolas and ellipses?

Some real-life examples of parabolas include the shape of a satellite dish, the trajectory of a basketball shot, and the design of arches and bridges. Some real-life examples of ellipses include the orbits of planets and satellites, the shape of lenses and mirrors in telescopes and cameras, and the shape of eggshells and planets.