A problem with a projectile motion question

In summary, a professional baseball pitcher could throw a ball from one end of a hallway to the other before the ball hits the ground. The equation for the range of a projectile that's launched from ground level tells you to launch the ball at a maximum angle. By using information from the equation and solving for the launch velocity, the pitcher can find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity needed to reach the goal.
keroberous
I'm a little new here and was hoping I might be able to get some help. This is the question I'm having problems with:

A hallway is 40 m long and 3 m high. Could a professional baseball pitcher throw a ball from one end to the other before the ball hits the ground?

I haven't really even been able to get anywhere with this problem. Basically what I figured I should do was assume a height for the picture (I chose 1.5 m, but I think that choice is irrelevant). What I initially tried to do was determine the angle at which the ball would just skim the ceiling and then use that to calculate the velocity needed to ensure that the ball landed on the floor at the base of the wall 40 m away. When I tried to do that it wasn't really working, I think I may be short on known information for that to work. Then I thought that it wasn't important that the ball touch the ceiling, but I'm not really sure what approach to take. Overall, I think I'm over-complicating the problem and confusing myself further in the process.

I realize that I don't really have much accomplished in terms of my own work, at least numerically. What I'm hoping for at least is a plan of attack, and possibly a first step. I've looked around online for help in other places but anything I find is a bit over my grade level (I'm in grade 12). Thanks so much for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider the equation for the range of a projectile that's launched from ground level, namely R = (v2/g)sin(2θ), it appears that if the angle is restricted to be less than 45° then the range is proportional to the launch angle. In other words, you want to maximize the launch angle. So it appears that your surmise that the projectile should just skim the ceiling is good.

If that's true, then given the launch height that you choose, you can fix the maximum y-component of the launch velocity. The rest should be (tedious) algebra to find the x-component of the velocity required to reach the goal.

Ok, so here's what I ended up doing so far. I first looked at the vertical velocity, and determined what it would have to be to go 1.5 m up (i.e. to just touch the ceiling). So v2 = 0, a = -9.8, d = 1.5, and I'm looking for v1. the equation I used was v12 = v22 - 2ad and found v1 to be 5.4 m/s [up].

I then used that to find t, using the equation d = v1t + (1/2)at2 (all values vertical again) to find t = 1.3 s.

Then I looked for the horizontal v1, when d = 40, t = 1.3, and assuming a = 0. I used the equation d = v1t + (1/2)at2 and found that v1 = 30.8 m/s [horizontal].

I then combined the vertical and horizontal components using Pythagorean Theorem and tan to get that v1 = 31.2 m/s 10 degrees up from horizontal.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I can't help but feel this is too simple, but like I said initially, perhaps I was over-complicating things. Does this process at least make sense?

It looks good to me. 31 m/s doesn't seem like an unusual speed for a pitch.

thanks so much for your help

Related to A problem with a projectile motion question

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, typically in a curved path, due to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated by using the formula v0 = v0x + v0y, where v0x is the initial velocity in the x-direction and v0y is the initial velocity in the y-direction. These values can be determined by breaking the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational pull. The properties of the object, such as its mass and shape, can also play a role in its trajectory.

4. How do you find the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be found by using the equation h = (v0y)2 / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0y is the initial velocity in the y-direction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance.

5. How can you determine the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be determined by using the equation R = (v0)2 sin(2θ) / g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation also assumes no air resistance.