fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Table of Contents
ToggleIntroductionZeno of Elea, Archimedes of Syracuse,
and John von Neumann of BudapestFunctionsConvergenceDomains of SeriesSources
Introduction
Series play a decisive role in many branches of mathematics. They accompanied mathematical developments from Zeno of Elea (##5##-th century BC) and Archimedes of Syracuse (##3##-th century BC), to the fundamental building blocks of calculus from the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Janosh89, bhobba, WWGD and 5 others
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where is the quantum theory and where did you use reference [7]?

martinbn said:
Where is the quantum theory and where did you use reference [7]?
Greg changed the title without asking me. My title was only "Mathematical Series". The word 'Mathematical' was already a concession. I would have called it just "Series".

It is possible to write an article with that actual title, and Dieudonné did write the middle part of such an article (17th to 19th century) but it took him several hundred pages - without Zeno, Archimedes, and Bohr.

I mentioned QM/Lie theory in the introduction and one can find a proof for Ad exp = exp ad in Varadarajan [7]. Maybe it should have been placed behind the formula, but I didn't want it to conflict with "(*)" which I needed for reference, so I chose the second-best location for [7].

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and berkeman

1. What is the main focus of this series in mathematics?

The main focus of this series is to explore the evolution of mathematical concepts and theories from ancient times to modern quantum theory.

2. Who is the intended audience for this series?

This series is suitable for anyone interested in the history and development of mathematics, from beginners to advanced mathematicians.

3. How is the content of this series presented?

The content is presented in a clear and accessible manner, with engaging explanations and examples to help readers understand complex mathematical concepts.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this series?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, the series is designed to be accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical knowledge.

5. What makes this series unique compared to other books on mathematics?

This series stands out for its comprehensive coverage of the history of mathematics, from ancient Greek thinkers like Zeno to modern quantum theory, providing readers with a broad perspective on the evolution of mathematical thought.