Solving Real Number Variables & Parabola Equations

In summary, the given line $lx+my=1$ always touches a fixed parabola with axis parallel to the x-axis, given by $\displaystyle x=ay^2+by+c$. The vertex and focus of this parabola can be determined by equating coefficients and using the given implicit relation between $\displaystyle l$ and $\displaystyle m$.
DrunkenOldFool
This question was asked in my exam and I could not answer it. I would like to know how it can be solved.

If $l$ and $m$ are variable real numbers such that $5l^2+6m^2-4lm+3l=0$, then a variable line $lx+my=1$ always touches a fixed parabola, whose axis is parallel to the x-axis.

(a) Find the vertex of the parabola.
(b) Find the focus of the parabola.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let the described parabola be given by:

$\displaystyle x=ay^2+by+c$

From the given line, we find:

$\displaystyle x=\frac{1-my}{l}$

Hence, we have:

$\displaystyle \frac{1-my}{l}=ay^2+by+c$

Arranging the quadratic in $\displaystyle y$ in standard form, we find:

$\displaystyle aly^2+(bl+m)y+(cl-1)=0$

We are told the line is tangent to the parabola, which means there will only be one root, and so we must have that the discriminant is zero. Equating the discriminant to zero, expanding and multiplying by a crucial number, you will find that using the given implicit relation between $\displaystyle l$ and $\displaystyle m$ you can obtain sufficient equations by equating coefficients to determine the parameters of the parabola $\displaystyle a,\,b,\,c$.

And from this, you may determine the vertex and focus of the parabola.

Related to Solving Real Number Variables & Parabola Equations

1. What is the definition of a real number variable?

A real number variable is a quantity that can vary or change in value and is represented by a letter or symbol, such as x or y, in mathematical equations. Real numbers include all rational and irrational numbers, such as fractions, decimals, and square roots.

2. How do you solve a real number variable equation?

To solve a real number variable equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation until the variable is the only thing left on one side. Then, you can solve for the variable by applying the order of operations.

3. What is a parabola equation?

A parabola equation is a second-degree polynomial equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. Parabolas are U-shaped curves that can open upwards or downwards and are symmetrical about a vertical line called the axis of symmetry.

4. How do you graph a parabola equation?

To graph a parabola equation, you can use the vertex form, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex. You can also use the intercept form, y = a(x-p)(x-q), where p and q represent the x-intercepts. Plot the vertex and x-intercepts, and then use the axis of symmetry to plot additional points and create a smooth curve.

5. What are the different methods for solving parabola equations?

There are several methods for solving parabola equations, including factoring, the quadratic formula, and completing the square. Factoring involves finding two numbers that multiply to the constant term and add to the coefficient of the middle term. The quadratic formula, x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a, can be used to solve any quadratic equation. Completing the square involves adding a constant term to both sides of the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be solved by taking the square root of both sides.