How Should the Parabolic Dish Be Aligned for Optimal Radio Wave Reception?

In summary, the conversation discusses a parabolic radio telescope and how to adjust the focus, directrix, and vertex in order to receive maximum intensity radio waves. It is suggested that the radio receiver should be placed at the focus of the parabola, and that the shape and pointing of the dish can be adjusted to optimize reception. Some real-life examples and sources are also mentioned.
rqyytrf

Homework Statement

Parabolic radio telescope. Dish is fixed and across its centre a cable is suspended carrying a beam on which equipment is mounted to pick up radio waves.

Basically it's just a parabola on the cartesian plane.
How would you adjust the parabola ( focus, directrix, vertex etc ) so that the maximum intensity radio waves may be intercepted.

and any other ways such as size of dish or position of beam etc.

Thanks

Homework Equations

N/A more of a worded problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find information about how the size of the dish would maximize the wave intensity etc but nothing specific which is what I am looking for.

Where should the focus be on the cartesian plane? e.g How far up the y axis? How far across the x axis?
Same question for the directrix as they relate to each other ^^

Should the vertex be at the origin of the cartesian plane? Or shifted to another point? which?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you adjust the parabola ( focus, directrix, vertex etc ) so that incoming radio waves are at their maximum intensity?
Not enough information.
i.e. where and what sort of radio source is it?

However;
in general - how do you use a parabolic dish to receive radio waves?
Where would you point the dish relative to the direction of the radio source?
Where would you put the radio-receiver in terms of the geometry of the dish?

I cannot tell what question you are asking in "attempt 2".

Simon Bridge said:
Not enough information.
i.e. where and what sort of radio source is it?

However;
in general - how do you use a parabolic dish to receive radio waves?
Where would you point the dish relative to the direction of the radio source?
Where would you put the radio-receiver in terms of the geometry of the dish?

I cannot tell what question you are asking in "attempt 2".

Edited original post

Cool: that is clearer ... questions still the same.

i.e. the equipment to pick up radio-waves ... where should you put that to get best reception?

Simon Bridge said:
Cool: that is clearer ... questions still the same.

i.e. the equipment to pick up radio-waves ... where should you put that to get best reception?

The only information i was able to find was about what types of parabolic antennas there are. So far the only thing i can come up with is to adjust the focal point so it is directly opposite the bottom of the dish (Move the focus further up the y axis). This would increase the latus rectum and therefore will be at it's maximum diameter. This larger diameter would then be applied to Area and Volume rules ( for the dish ) which would increase the reception of incoming radio waves.
I'm still wondering about the vertex though... (i seriously can't find any more)
Should the vertex be at the origin or shifted somewhere else (h,k)? Stuff like this.

Last edited:
There are many parabolic radio antennas all over the world. The biggest that I know of is at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. I am pretty sure the fixed dish is parabolic although spherical reflectors will work also. For best reception the actual radio receiver should be placed at the focus of the parabola. If the dish is fixed, then the pointing can be changed a little by moving the location of the "sky room" Go look at the Arecibo Observatory website. Theoritically, all of the RF energy that hits the dish will be reflected into the receiving antenna located at the focus. Most parabolic antennas operate in the microwave region, i.e. 2 - 32 GHz. The TV satelite antenna you see all over the place are a section of a true parabolic antenna, not the entire surface of revolution. The receiving element is or should be at the focus. All of the antennas that trackl the Deep Space satelites are operated by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. You can go to their website and search for the DSN, meaning the Deep Space Network, or merely google DSS-14 and see what you get.

barryj said:
Theoritically, all of the RF energy that hits the dish will be reflected into the receiving antenna located at the focus.
Only where the source is approximately plane waves.
But that is pretty much how people set up the dish IRL - the radio-wave receiving stuff goes at the focus of the dish.

@rqyytrf: forget about looking stuff up for a bit - just think of the dish as a big concave mirror ... you want light (the radio waves) to concentrate on the apparatus at the end of the boom ... what do you do? You know this one already.

You can adjust the shape of the mirror (affects focal length and directrix), and you can adjust which way the dish points by turning it.

1. What is a parabola and how does it relate to radio waves?

A parabola is a curved shape that can be created by intersecting a plane with a cone. This shape is commonly seen in nature and is also used in mathematics and physics. In terms of radio waves, parabolas are often used in the design of satellite dishes because they are able to reflect and focus incoming radio waves onto a specific point.

2. How are parabolas used in the transmission of radio waves?

Parabolas are used in the transmission of radio waves in a variety of ways. One common use is in satellite communication, where a parabolic dish is used to reflect and amplify the radio waves coming from a satellite. Parabolic antennas are also used in radio telescopes to collect and focus radio waves from distant objects in space.

3. What is the relationship between the focal point of a parabola and the strength of a radio wave?

The focal point of a parabola is where all incoming radio waves are reflected and directed towards. The closer the focal point is to the surface of the parabola, the stronger the radio wave will be when it reaches that point. This is because the parabolic shape is able to concentrate and amplify the radio waves, making them more powerful at the focal point.

4. Can radio waves be affected by the shape and size of a parabola?

Yes, the shape and size of a parabola can greatly affect the behavior of radio waves. For example, a larger parabolic dish will be able to collect and focus more radio waves, resulting in a stronger signal. The curvature of the parabola can also impact the direction and angle at which the radio waves are reflected and transmitted.

5. How do parabolas and radio waves work together in radar technology?

In radar technology, parabolic antennas are used to transmit and receive radio waves. The antenna emits a radio wave that travels in a straight line until it hits an object. The radio wave then bounces off the object and is reflected back to the antenna, where it is detected and analyzed. By measuring the time it takes for the radio wave to return, the distance and location of the object can be determined.