How Do You Calculate the Depth of a Parabolic Reflector?

• Thread starter dillonwerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, a parabola is a U-shaped curve formed by a quadratic function, with a symmetrical axis and a highest or lowest point called the vertex. To graph a parabola, you can find the vertex and other points by plugging in values for x and solving for y using the equation. The standard form of a quadratic equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. A parabola with a positive leading coefficient opens upwards and has a minimum point, while a negative leading coefficient opens downwards and has a maximum point. The parabola equation can also be used to solve real-world problems, such as modeling the path of a projectile or the shape of a
dillonwerd
This is my first post here so I hope I put it in the proper place.

Here's the basic info on the question.

parabolic reflector (like a tv dish) has diameter of 10cm, focus is 2 cm from the vertex. Find the depth.

Thanks in advance for an help. I've been stuck on this for a while! Getting frustrated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First write down the equation for a parabola with y-axis a axis of symmetry, passing through (0,0), focus at (0, 2). Now, when x= 5, what is y?

Hi there! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your question. It looks like you're working on a problem involving a parabolic reflector, which can definitely be tricky. Don't worry, we're here to help!

To find the depth of the parabolic reflector, we can use the formula d = 4f, where d is the depth and f is the focal length. In this case, the focal length is given as 2 cm, so we can plug that into the formula and get d = 4(2) = 8 cm.

I hope this helps and that you're able to solve the problem now. Feel free to post any follow-up questions or other problems you may have. Good luck!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Depth of a Parabolic Reflector?

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function. It is symmetrical about a line called the axis of symmetry, and it has a highest or lowest point called the vertex.

2. How do I graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you will need to find the vertex, the axis of symmetry, and a few other points on the curve. You can do this by plugging in values for x and solving for y using the equation of the parabola. Once you have enough points, you can plot them on a coordinate plane to create the graph.

3. What is the standard form of a quadratic equation?

The standard form of a quadratic equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This form makes it easy to identify the coefficient of the x^2 term (a), the coefficient of the x term (b), and the constant term (c).

4. What is the difference between a parabola with a positive leading coefficient and a negative leading coefficient?

A parabola with a positive leading coefficient (a) opens upwards and has a minimum point, while a parabola with a negative leading coefficient opens downwards and has a maximum point. This can also affect the direction of the axis of symmetry and the direction of the curve.

5. How can I use the parabola equation to solve real-world problems?

The parabola equation can be used to model real-world situations, such as the path of a projectile or the shape of a satellite dish. By plugging in values and solving for the unknown variable, you can find important information such as the maximum or minimum height, the range, or the optimal dimensions for a given situation.