Could you explain me the definition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the set of $p$-adic numbers, denoted as $\mathbb{Z}_p$, which is the collection of infinite-tuples satisfying certain congruence conditions. This set is also known as the inverse limit of $\mathbb{Z}/p^n \mathbb{Z}$, and can be constructed by mapping back solutions of equations in finite fields. This concept can be extended to any prime number, and every integer has a corresponding $p$-adic representation.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

According to my notes:

Let $p \in \mathbb{P}$.

The set of the integer p-adic numbers is defined as:

$$\mathbb{Z}_p:= \{( \overline{x_n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} \in \Pi _{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p^{n+1} \mathbb{Z}} | x_{n+1} \equiv x_n \pmod {p^{n+1}}\}$$

Could you explain me the definition? (Sweating)

Remark: The inverse limit is:

$$\mathbb{Z}_p=\lim_{\overleftarrow{n}} \frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p^n \mathbb{Z}}$$Could you also explain me the difinition of the inverse limit? (Worried)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nitpick : $\Bbb Z_p$ is a sad notation for $p$-adics. Reminds me of cyclic groups. How about $\mathbf{Z}_p$?

The definition is really straightforward as written. $\mathbf{Z}_p$, the set of $p$-adic integers, is the collection of "infinite-tuples" $(x_0, x_1, x_2, \cdots )$ with $x_k \in \Bbb Z/p^{k+1}\Bbb Z$ such that each $x_{i+1}$ is equivalent to $x_i$ modulo $p^{i+1}$.

Wait, wait, that didn't even made sense to me(!). I have a great ignorance for these kind of symbolic definitions, so they won't make sense to anyone. Let's look at examples, they always give a good notion of what is going on "behind the scene".

Consider the equation $x^2 = -1$ in $\Bbb Z$. This has, of course, no solutions. However, this has solutions when considered over certain finite fields. $x^2 = -1$ has trivial solutions over $\Bbb Z/Z\Bbb Z$ (itself a trivial group :p), no solutions over $\Bbb Z/3\Bbb Z$ (only quadratic res. are 1 and 0), neither any over $\Bbb Z/4\Bbb Z$ (only quadratic res. again are 1 and 0). The smallest field in which it does is $\Bbb Z/5\Bbb Z$ : $2^2 = 4 = -1$ and $3^2 = 9 = 10 - 1 = -1$.

Consider the 2 modulo 5 solution. So we know that $x = 2 + 5y$ and we can sub that in : $-1 = x^2 = (2 + 5y)^2 = 4 + 25y^2 + 20y$ which reduces to $20y = -5 + 25y^2$, i.e., $20y = -5 \pmod{25}$ which after inversion gives $y = 1 \pmod{5}$. We can sub that back in $x = 2 + 5y$ to get $x = 2 + 5(1 + 5y_1)$ thus $x = 7 \pmod{25}$, which is in turn a solution in $\Bbb Z_{25}$. By similar calculations, you'll end up with $x = 57 \pmod{125}$ in $\Bbb Z/{125}\Bbb Z$ and so on and so on.

The specialty of this chain of solutions is once found a solution $x_{i+1}$ in $\Bbb Z_{5^{i+1}}$, $x_{i+1}$ can be mapped back to $x_i$ modulo $5^i$ (that's precisely the way they are constructed). Thus you can construct an "infinite-tuple" $x = (2, 7, 57, \cdots)$ in the infinite direct product $\prod \Bbb Z/5^{i+1} \Bbb Z$ such that each elt $x_{i+1}$ can be "mapped back" to $x_i$ using homomorphisms (in this case, modulo $5^{i+1}$). This construction precisely gives us a ring, and out "infinite tuple" satisfies $x^2 = -1$ so we are kind of "expanding out" the usual integers. This is a possible construction of $5$-adic integers, and in formal terms, your symbolic definition with $n = 5$ subbed in.

This is all there is to the definition of $p$-adics. They are the collection of a bunch of elements from $\Bbb Z/p^k \Bbb Z$ for $k > 0$ such that there is a collection of homomorphisms from $\Bbb Z/p^{i+1}\Bbb Z$ to $\Bbb Z/p^i \Bbb Z$. The notion of inverse limits are just a generalization of this idea.

EDIT Thought that I'd rather add this to make the concept clear. Consider $10$-adic numbers (warning - not a field). Elements are all of the form $(x_1, x_2, x_3, \cdots )$ such that $x_i \in \Bbb Z/10^i \Bbb Z$ for all $i$. Recall that an integer modulo $10^i$ is really the first $10^i$ digits of the integer, the rest of them chopped off. In that case, for $(x_1, x_2, \cdots )$, $x_1$ can be viewed as the last digit of some integer, $(x_2 - x_1)/10$ as the second digit from the right, $(x_3-x_2)/100$ as the third digit from the right, and so on and so forth. Thus, every $10$-adic $(x_i)$ has a corresponding infinite series representation $\sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n 10^n$. For in general $k$-adic numbers, similar can be stated, but the "infinite integers" then becomes "infinite integers base $k$", i.e., the series representation is of the form $\sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n k^n$. From this you can verify that every integer is a $p$-adic integer for some prime $p$ : take $13$ and $p = 3$. Modulo $3$, $13 = 1$ hence our sequence is $(1, \cdots)$. $13 = 4$ modulo $9$, thus we get another term $(1, 4, \cdots)$. However, all the higher powers of $3$ are greater than $13$ so the rest of the terms are all $13$ : the desired $3$-adic expansion is $(1, 4, 13, 13, 13, \cdots)$. However, there are $p$-adics that can't be represented as integers - this is pretty obvious to construct as every $p$-adic rep for integers eventually stabilize to some fixed integer.

Last edited:

Related to Could you explain me the definition?

1. What is the definition of "explain"?

The definition of explain is to make something clear or understandable by describing or giving information about it.

2. How do you define "explanation"?

An explanation is a statement or description that clarifies or gives reasons for something.

3. Can you provide an example of an explanation?

One example of an explanation is a teacher explaining a math problem to a student, breaking down the steps and reasoning behind each one.

4. Is there a difference between explaining and defining something?

Yes, there is a difference between explaining and defining something. Defining is giving the specific meaning of a word or concept, while explaining involves providing further detail or context about the meaning.

5. How important is it to have a clear explanation of a concept or idea?

Having a clear explanation is crucial in understanding and effectively communicating a concept or idea. It allows for better comprehension and avoids confusion or misunderstandings.