Integral Domain-PID: Exploring the Proof Step-by-Step

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for showing that the ring $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is an integral domain and a principal ideal domain. The proof involves showing that $\mathbb{Z}_p$ contains only the ideals $0$ and $p^n\mathbb{Z}_p$ and that $p\mathbb{Z}_p$ is the only maximal ideal. The conversation also touches on the question of whether $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is the same as $\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}$ and if there is another way to prove that $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is a PID.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The following holds for the ring $ \mathbb{Z}_p, p \in \mathbb{P}$:

The ring $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a principal ideal domain, especially an integral domain.

I try to understand the following proof:

Proof:

We will show that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is an integral domain.
The fact that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a principal ideal domain can be concluded from the proposition "$\mathbb{Z}_p $ contains only the ideals $0$ and $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $" for $n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $. It holds $ \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} p^n \mathbb{Z}_p=0$ and $ \mathbb{Z}_p / p^n \mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z} \ p^n \mathbb{Z}$.
Especially $ p \mathbb{Z}_p$ is the only maximal Ideal. "

Let $ x=(\overline{x_k}), y=(\overline{y_k}) \in \mathbb{Z}_p \setminus \{0\} $ and $ z=(\overline{z_k})=xy=(\overline{x_ky_k})$.

Since $ x,y \neq 0$ there are $ m,n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $ with $x_n \not\equiv 0 \mod{p^{n+1}}$ and $ y_m \not\equiv 0 \mod{p^{m+1}}$.
We set $ l:=n+m+1$. From $ x_l \equiv x_n \mod{p^{n+1}}$ and $ y_l \equiv y_m \mod{p^{m+1}}$ we deduce the existence of the partitions $ x_l=u \cdot p^{n'}$ and $ y_l=v \cdot p^{m'}$ with $gcd(u,p)=gcd(v,p)=1$, $ n' \leq n $ and $ m' \leq m$. Then since $ n'+m'<l $ we have that

$ z_l=uvp^{n'+m'} \not\equiv 0 \mod{p^{l+1}}$, and so $ z \neq 0$.Could you explain me step by step the above proof? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

The following holds for the ring $ \mathbb{Z}_p, p \in \mathbb{P}$:

The ring $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a principal ideal domain, especially an integral domain.

I try to understand the following proof:

Proof:

We will show that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is an integral domain.
The fact that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a principal ideal domain can be concluded from the proposition "$\mathbb{Z}_p $ contains only the ideals $0$ and $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $" for $n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $. It holds $ \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} p^n \mathbb{Z}_p=0$ and $ \mathbb{Z}_p / p^n \mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z} \ p^n \mathbb{Z}$.
Especially $ p \mathbb{Z}_p$ is the only maximal Ideal. "

Let $ x=(\overline{x_k}), y=(\overline{y_k}) \in \mathbb{Z}_p \setminus \{0\} $ and $ z=(\overline{z_k})=xy=(\overline{x_ky_k})$.

Since $ x,y \neq 0$ there are $ m,n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $ with $x_n \not\equiv 0 \mod{p^{n+1}}$ and $ y_m \not\equiv 0 \mod{p^{m+1}}$.
We set $ l:=n+m+1$. From $ x_l \equiv x_n \mod{p^{n+1}}$ and $ y_l \equiv y_m \mod{p^{m+1}}$ we deduce the existence of the partitions $ x_l=u \cdot p^{n'}$ and $ y_l=v \cdot p^{m'}$ with $gcd(u,p)=gcd(v,p)=1$, $ n' \leq n $ and $ m' \leq m$. Then since $ n'+m'<l $ we have that

$ z_l=uvp^{n'+m'} \not\equiv 0 \mod{p^{l+1}}$, and so $ z \neq 0$.Could you explain me step by step the above proof? (Thinking)

Is $\mathbb Z_p$ the same as $\mathbb Z/p\mathbb Z$? In that case $\mathbb Z_p$ is a field and thus a PID. I ask this because I don't see why you'd consider $p^n\mathbb Z_p$ in your proof.

caffeinemachine said:
Is $\mathbb Z_p$ the same as $\mathbb Z/p\mathbb Z$? In that case $\mathbb Z_p$ is a field and thus a PID. I ask this because I don't see why you'd consider $p^n\mathbb Z_p$ in your proof.

$\mathbb{Z}_p$ is the set of integer p-adics.

We only use this sentence: "$\mathbb{Z}_p $ contains only the ideals $0$ and $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $" for $n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $ because it is an other proposition of the theorem I am looking at.
So could we also prove it in an other way that $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is a PID? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$\mathbb{Z}_p$ is the set of integer p-adics.

We only use this sentence: "$\mathbb{Z}_p $ contains only the ideals $0$ and $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $" for $n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $ because it is an other proposition of the theorem I am looking at.
So could we also prove it in an other way that $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is a PID? (Thinking)
Oh. Thanks for clarifying. Wish I could help. Don't know anything about $p$-adics.

Sure, I'd be happy to explain this proof step by step.

1. The first step in the proof is to show that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is an integral domain. This means that the ring has no zero divisors, i.e. if $ ab = 0 $, then either $ a = 0 $ or $ b = 0 $. In order to show this, we will first prove that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a principal ideal domain (PID). This means that every ideal in the ring can be generated by a single element.

2. To prove that $ \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a PID, we will use the fact that the ring only contains the ideals $ 0 $ and $ p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $ for $ n \in \mathbb{N}_0 $. This means that any other ideal in the ring must be a multiple of $ p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $ for some $ n $. In other words, any element in the ideal can be written as $ ap^n $ for some $ a \in \mathbb{Z}_p $. This is the definition of a principal ideal.

3. Now, we need to show that the intersection of all the ideals $ p^n \mathbb{Z}_p $ is equal to $ 0 $. In other words, we need to show that the only element that is in all of these ideals is $ 0 $. This is equivalent to showing that the only element that is a multiple of $ p^n $ for all $ n $ is $ 0 $. This can be proven by using the fact that $ \mathbb{Z}_p / p^n \mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z} / p^n \mathbb{Z} $ and the fact that $ \mathbb{Z} / p^n \mathbb{Z} $ only contains the elements $ 0 $ and $ p^n $.

4. Next, we need to show that $ p \mathbb{Z}_p $ is the only maximal ideal in $ \mathbb{Z}_p $. This means that there are no other ideals in the ring that properly contain $ p \mathbb{Z}_p $. This can be proven by using the previous result, since $ p \mathbb{Z}_p $ is a multiple of

Related to Integral Domain-PID: Exploring the Proof Step-by-Step

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a mathematical structure that is defined as a commutative ring with unity, where every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. In simpler terms, it is a set of numbers with operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division that follow certain rules.

2. What is a PID?

PID stands for Principal Ideal Domain, which is a special type of integral domain where every ideal is generated by a single element. This means that every element in the domain can be written as a product of a single element and another element in the domain.

3. How is an integral domain different from a field?

An integral domain and a field are both algebraic structures, but they have some key differences. In an integral domain, every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse, but in a field, every element has a multiplicative inverse. Additionally, in a field, all non-zero elements have a unique multiplicative inverse, while in an integral domain, there may be multiple elements with the same inverse.

4. What is the proof for showing an integral domain is a PID?

The proof for showing an integral domain is a PID involves several steps, which include showing that the domain is a commutative ring with unity, every non-zero element is either a unit or a prime element, and every ideal can be generated by a single element. This proof can be explored step-by-step to gain a better understanding of the concept.

5. Why is understanding integral domains and PIDs important in mathematics?

Integral domains and PIDs are important concepts in abstract algebra and number theory. They provide a framework for understanding and solving problems related to factorization, divisibility, and prime numbers. Additionally, these structures have applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics.