Every Cauchy sequence converges

In summary: This means that you take a subspace of $\mathbb{Q}_p$ and consider the sequences in this subspace. By the convergence of Cauchy sequences, the sequences in this subspace will converge in a topological space. This topological space is the projective limit of the $X_n$, which is $\mathbb{Q}_p$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! (Wave)

Sentence:

The p-adic numbers are complete with respect to the p-norm, ie every Cauchy sequence converges.

Proof:

Let $(x_i)_{i \in \mathbb{N}}$ a Cauchy-sequence in $\mathbb{Q}_p$.

We want to show that, without loss of generality, we can suppose that $x_i \in \mathbb{Z}_p$.Let the set $\{ |x_i|_p | i \in \mathbb{N}\} \subset \mathbb{R}$. We suppose that it is upper bounded. If not, there are $\forall m \in \mathbb{N}$ and $N \in \mathbb{N}$ two indices $i,j \geq N$ with $|x_i|_p> |x_j|_p \geq p^m$.

From the sentence: For $|x|_p \neq |y|_p$, it stands that $|x+y|_p=\max \{|x|_p, |y|_p \} $, we have that $|x_i-x_j|_p=|x_i|_p>p^m$. This is not possible for a Cauchy-sequence.

Now, we pick $m \in \mathbb{N}$ with $p^m \geq \max \{ |x_i|_p | i \in \mathbb{N}_0 \}$. Then, $(p^m x_i)_i$ is a Cauchy-sequence with $|p^mx_i|_p \leq 1 \Rightarrow p^mx_i \in \mathbb{Z}_p$. It converges exactly then, when $(x_i)_i$ converges.So, we just need to consider a Cauchy-sequence $(x_i)_i \in \mathbb{Z}_p$. We want to show that it converges and to determine its limit $z \in \mathbb{Z}_p$. For each $k \in \mathbb{N}$, we pick a $N_k \in \mathbb{N}$, so that:

$$|x_i-x_j|_p<p^{-k} ,\text{ for } i,j \geq N_k$$

We can suppose, that $N_k$ is an increasing sequence.The above inequality is equivalent to $v_p(x_i-x_j)>k$ or $x_i-x_j \in p^{k+1} \mathbb{Z}_p$. So, we find a $z_k \in \mathbb{Z}$, such that:

$$z_k \equiv x_i \equiv x_i \mod p^{k+1}\mathbb{Z}_p, \text{ for } i,j \geq N_k$$

Because of $N_{k+1} \geq N_k$, it stands that:
$$z_{k+1} \equiv x_{N_{k+1}} \equiv x_{N_k} \equiv z_k \mod p^{k+1} \mathbb{Z}_p$$

ie. $z=(\overline{z_k})_k \in \Pi \mathbb{Z}/p^{k+1}\mathbb{Z}$ is an element from $\mathbb{Z}_p$. Also, for $i \geq N_k$, it stands that:
$$x_i \equiv z_k \equiv \ \mod p^{k+1}\mathbb{Z}_p \Rightarrow |x_i-z|_p<p^{-p}$$

so $x_i$ converges to $z$.
Could you explain me step by step the above proof?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is an easier proof that minimizes the use of $\varepsilon$'s . First define $X_n = \mathbb{Z}/p^n \mathbb{Z}$, and give these finite sets the discrete topology. The $p$-adic integers are the projective limit of the $X_n$.

Now consider the product,
$$ X = \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} X_n $$
This is a compact space because each $X_n$ is compact. Furthermore, $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is a closed subset of $X$. Thus, $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is a compact space.

This means that if you can find a metric which describes the topology on $\mathbb{Z}_p$ the metric must automatically be complete (since compact metric spaces are complete). You have to show, which is not so difficult, that the $p$-metric induces the same topology as $\mathbb{Z}_p$ inherits from being a subspace of $X$.

This will prove that $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is complete with respect to the $p$-adic metric. To show that $\mathbb{Q}_p$ is complete you "defractionize" it.

Last edited:

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any given small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other.

2. What does it mean for a Cauchy sequence to converge?

A Cauchy sequence converges to a limit when the terms in the sequence become closer and closer to that limit as the sequence progresses. In other words, the distance between the terms and the limit becomes smaller and smaller, approaching zero.

3. Why is it important for a Cauchy sequence to converge?

Convergence of a Cauchy sequence is important because it ensures that the sequence has a well-defined limit. This allows for the use of limit theorems and other mathematical techniques to analyze and manipulate the sequence.

4. How do you prove that every Cauchy sequence converges?

To prove that every Cauchy sequence converges, one must show that the sequence satisfies the Cauchy convergence criterion, which states that for any given small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the properties of real numbers.

5. Are there any exceptions to the statement "every Cauchy sequence converges"?

Yes, there are some cases where a Cauchy sequence may not converge. For example, in a non-complete metric space, a Cauchy sequence may not necessarily have a limit. Additionally, in some cases, the limit of a Cauchy sequence may lie outside of the space in which the sequence is defined, making it impossible for the sequence to converge. However, in most cases, the statement "every Cauchy sequence converges" holds true.