Exploring Embedding $\epsilon_p: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}_p

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the function $\epsilon_p: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}_p$ is an embedding that maps integers to their corresponding residue classes modulo p. The proof shows that this mapping preserves the structure and properties of the integers.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)

We have the canonical function $\epsilon_p: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}_p, x \mapsto (\overline{x})_{k \in \mathbb{N}_0}=(\overline{x}, \overline{x}, \overline{x}, \dots )$.
The function $\epsilon_p: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}_p$ is an embedding. We interpret with it $\mathbb{Z}$ as a subset of $\mathbb{Z}_p$.

Proof:
Let $x \in \mathbb{Z}$ with $\epsilon_p(x)=(\overline{x})_k=0$, i.e. $x \equiv 0 \mod{p^{k+1}}$ for all $k \in \mathbb{N}_0$. The only integer number that is divisible by any high $p$-power is zero, so it holds $x=0$. Thus, $\epsilon_p$ is an embedding.

Could you explain me the above proof? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! Sure, I'd be happy to explain the proof for you.

First, let's define what an embedding is. An embedding is a function that maps one mathematical structure (in this case, the integers) to another structure (in this case, the integers modulo p) in such a way that preserves the structure and properties of the original structure.

Now, let's break down the proof step by step.

1. The function $\epsilon_p: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}_p$ is defined as $\epsilon_p(x)=(\overline{x})_k=(\overline{x}, \overline{x}, \overline{x}, \dots )$. This means that for any integer x, $\epsilon_p$ maps it to the sequence of its residue classes modulo p (i.e. the remainder when divided by p).

2. To prove that $\epsilon_p$ is an embedding, we need to show that it preserves the structure and properties of the integers. In other words, if we apply $\epsilon_p$ to an integer, the resulting sequence of residue classes should still behave like an integer in terms of divisibility and other properties.

3. Now, let's consider an integer x that maps to the sequence $(\overline{x})_k=0$. This means that for all values of k, $x \equiv 0 \mod{p^{k+1}}$, which essentially means that x is divisible by all higher powers of p.

4. However, the only integer that is divisible by all higher powers of p is 0. This can be easily seen by considering the prime factorization of any integer. Therefore, if $x \equiv 0 \mod{p^{k+1}}$ for all k, it must be that x=0.

5. This proves that $\epsilon_p$ maps the integer x to 0 if and only if x=0. This is exactly what we need to show in order for $\epsilon_p$ to be an embedding - it preserves the property of being zero.

I hope this helps clarify the proof for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Exploring Embedding $\epsilon_p: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}_p

1. What is an embedding?

An embedding is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of mapping one mathematical structure into another in a way that preserves the underlying structure of the original object.

2. What is an epsilon embedding?

An epsilon embedding is a specific type of embedding that involves mapping integers (represented by the symbol $\mathbb{Z}$) into finite fields (represented by the symbol $\mathbb{Z}_p$), where $p$ is a prime number.

3. What is the significance of exploring epsilon embeddings?

Exploring epsilon embeddings is important because it allows us to better understand the relationship between integers and finite fields, and how we can use this relationship to solve problems in different areas of mathematics and computer science.

4. What is the function of $\epsilon_p$ in an embedding?

The function $\epsilon_p$ is the mapping function used in an embedding, which maps integers into finite fields in a way that preserves the structure of the original object.

5. How is exploring epsilon embeddings relevant to real-world applications?

Epsilon embeddings have a wide range of applications in real-world scenarios, such as cryptography, coding theory, and error-correcting codes. They also have implications in areas such as data compression, signal processing, and network security.