Show that number is integer 5-adic, find 5 positions...

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a $p$-adic number and its properties. It also explores how to determine if a rational number is a $p$-adic integer and how to calculate the first five positions of its power series. Additionally, the use of Hensel's lemma is mentioned as a method for solving polynomial congruences in order to show that a rational number is a $p$-adic number.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to conclude that the number $\frac{1}{2}$ is an integer $5-$ adic and to calculate the first five positions of its powerseries.

In order to conclude that $\frac{1}{2}$ is an integer $5-$ adic, do I have to use this definition?

Let $p \in \mathbb{P}$.
The set of the integer $p$-adic numbers is defined like that:

$$\mathbb{Z}_p= \{ (\overline{x_n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} \in \Pi_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p^{n+1} \mathbb{Z}} | x_{n+1} \equiv x_n \pmod {p^{n+1}} \}$$

or is there also an other way to do this? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1/2 is in lowest terms and
5 does not divide 2.
What does that tell you about the ord of |1/2|5 ?1/2 is in fact a 5-adic integer which expands as
View attachment 3394

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    1.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
What's $1/2$ modulo $5$? What's $1/2$ modulo $5^2$? What's $1/2$ modulo $5^3$? Can you compute $1/2$ modulo $5^n$ in general? What's the corresponding $5$-adic representation is supposed to be then?

mathbalarka said:
What's $1/2$ modulo $5$? What's $1/2$ modulo $5^2$? What's $1/2$ modulo $5^3$? Can you compute $1/2$ modulo $5^n$ in general? What's the corresponding $5$-adic representation is supposed to be then?

Could you explain me how we can calculate $\frac{1}{2} \pmod 5, \dots , \frac{1}{2} \pmod {5^n}$ ? (Worried) (Sweating)

I am sure you are familiar with modular arithmetic in $(\Bbb Z_n)^\times$. By $1/2$ modulo $n$ we mean the inversion of $2$ modulo $n$.

(Of course this is possible if and only if $(2, n) = 1$, but $2$ and $5$ are coprime so this is always possible)

mathbalarka said:
I am sure you are familiar with modular arithmetic in $(\Bbb Z_n)^\times$. By $1/2$ modulo $n$ we mean the inversion of $2$ modulo $n$.

(Of course this is possible if and only if $(2, n) = 1$, but $2$ and $5$ are coprime so this is always possible)

So are we looking for a $x \in \{ 1, \dots, 4 \}$ such that $x \cdot 2 \equiv 1 \pmod 5$ ?

So, is it $\frac{1}{2} \pmod 5 \equiv 3 \pmod 5$ ? (Thinking)

Right.

mathbalarka said:
Right.

Nice! And how can I calculate now the first five positions of its powerseries? (Thinking)

Also, could it happen that a rational number isn't an integer 5-adic number? If so, in which case? (Worried)

evinda said:
Nice! And how can I calculate now the first five positions of its powerseries? (Thinking)

Also, could it happen that a rational number isn't an integer 5-adic number? If so, in which case? (Worried)

1) Hensel Lifting
2) No

PS: you should get...
View attachment 3403

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    1,009 bytes · Views: 58
Last edited:
But, what would we do if we had a rational like $\frac{3}{8}$ ? Would we have to find the inverse of $8$ modulo $5$ and multiply it by $3$ ? (Worried)

evinda said:
But, what would we do if we had a rational like $\frac{3}{8}$ ? Would we have to find the inverse of $8$ modulo $5$ and multiply it by $3$ ? (Worried)

You are solving a first degree polynomial congruence.

0 $\equiv$ 8x-3 mod $5^n$ as n $\rightarrow \infty$

Last edited:
RLBrown said:
You are solving a first degree polynomial congruence.

3 $\equiv$ 8x mod 5

Could you explain me why we solve this congruence, in order to show that $\frac{3}{8}$ is 5-adic? (Worried)

evinda said:
Could you explain me why we solve this congruence, in order to show that $\frac{3}{8}$ is 5-adic? (Worried)

Sorry, forgot general case, that was first digit only.
I edited it:(

RLBrown said:
Sorry, forgot general case, that was first digit only.
I edited it:(

Could you explain me why we solve this congruence, to find the solutions of $\frac{3}{8}$ $\pmod {5^n}$ ? (Worried)

evinda said:

I miss read this part above.
A rational number will always be a 5-adic number.

However you are correct
A rational number will NOT always be an INTEGER 5-adic number!

I convert the number to an integer (multiply by 5^m) before p-adic expansion using lifting. Then shift the decimal on the result to the left m places.

Last edited:
Also, could it happen that a rational number isn't an integer 5-adic number? If so, in which case?

Yes. Take $\frac15$. On the other hand $\Bbb Q$ is rather included in the fractional completion of $\mathbf{Z}_p$, namely, $\mathbf{Q}_p$.

Nice! And how can I calculate now the first five positions of its powerseries?

Why don't you just forget about the power series for a second? It makes no sense to produce a power series in the general archimedean sense, so I'd rather prefer you to look at the algebraic definition. Calculate the corresponding tuple in $\prod \Bbb Z/p^i \Bbb Z$.

- - - Updated - - -

evinda said:

Recall the algebraic inverse limit definition of $p$-adics.

mathbalarka said:
Yes. Take $\frac15$. On the other hand $\Bbb Q$ is rather included in the fractional completion of $\mathbf{Z}_p$, namely, $\mathbf{Q}_p$.

So, in general, how can we conclude if a rational number is a p-adic integer number? (Thinking)
mathbalarka said:
Recall the algebraic inverse limit definition of $p$-adics.

How can we use the algebraic inverse limit definition of $p$-adics? (Worried)

evinda said:
Could you explain me why we solve this congruence, to find the solutions of $\frac{3}{8}$ $\pmod {5^n}$ ? (Worried)
Let's use 3/8 as an example:
(LHS can be verified by pasting RHS into WolframAlpha)
Code:
First digit?
  2 = Mod[8 0-3,5]
  0 = [URL="http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Mod%5B8+1-3%2C5%5D"]Mod[8 1-3,5][/URL]
  3 = Mod[8 2-3,5]
  1 = Mod[8 3-3,5]
  4 = Mod[8 4-3,5]
     Answer: First digit = 1

Second digit?
  5 = Mod[8(1+0 5^1)-3,25]
 20 = Mod[8(1+1 5^1)-3,25]
 10 = Mod[8(1+2 5^1)-3,25]
  0 = [URL="http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Mod%5B8%281%2B3+5%5E1%29-3%2C25%5D"]Mod[8(1+3 5^1)-3,25][/URL]
 15 = Mod[8(1+4 5^1)-3,25]
     Answer: Second digit = 3

Third digit?
  0 = [URL="http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Mod%5B8+%281+%2B+3+5%5E1+%2B+0+5%5E2%29+-+3%2C+5%5E3%5D"]Mod[8 (1 + 3 5^1 + 0 5^2) - 3, 5^3][/URL]
 75 = Mod[8 (1 + 3 5^1 + 1 5^2) - 3, 5^3]
 25 = Mod[8 (1 + 3 5^1 + 2 5^2) - 3, 5^3]
100 = Mod[8 (1 + 3 5^1 + 3 5^2) - 3, 5^3]
 50 = Mod[8 (1 + 3 5^1 + 4 5^2) - 3, 5^3]
     Answer: Third digit = 0

If continued the digits repeat as
View attachment 3405

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    1.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
RLBrown said:
1) Hensel Lifting

View attachment 3403

How can we apply the Hensel Lifting? (Thinking)

evinda said:
How can we apply the Hensel Lifting? (Thinking)

In mathematics, Hensel's lemma, also known as Hensel's lifting lemma, named after Kurt Hensel, is a result in modular arithmetic, stating that if a polynomial equation has a simple root modulo a prime number p, then this root corresponds to a unique root of the same equation modulo any higher power of p, which can be found by iteratively "lifting" the solution modulo successive powers of p.

Depending upon the derivative of the polynomial being solved, a number of "next digits" can be found in one lift application.

OR more simply, you can lift by guessing the next digit (by trying each candidate in the congruence relationship) as I did in the above "3/8 as a 5-adic" example. Simply pick the digit 0,1,2,3 or 4 that makes the LHS=0.

Last edited:
How can we use the algebraic inverse limit definition of $p$-adics? (Worried)

State the inverse limit definition first before using it. What are $p$-adic integers?

mathbalarka said:
State the inverse limit definition first before using it. What are $p$-adic integers?

Let $p \in \mathbb{P}$.

The set of the integer p-adic numbers is defined as:

$$\mathbb{Z}_p:= \{( \overline{x_n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} \in \Pi _{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p^{n+1} \mathbb{Z}} | x_{n+1} \equiv x_n \pmod {p^{n+1}}\}$$

The inverse limit is:

$$\mathbb{Z}_p=\lim_{\overleftarrow{n}} \frac{\mathbb{Z}}{p^n \mathbb{Z}}$$

How can I use the above? (Sweating)

What's the natural embedding of $1/2$ in $\Bbb Q$ onto $\Bbb Z/5Z$? Now lift it up to $\Bbb Z/5^k \Bbb Z$ for $k > 1$ using Hensel and take the inverse limit of the corresponding sequence to embed it in $\mathbf{ Z}_5$. Does that make sense?

mathbalarka said:
What's the natural embedding of $1/2$ in $\Bbb Q$ onto $\Bbb Z/5Z$? Now lift it up to $\Bbb Z/5^k \Bbb Z$ for $k > 1$ using Hensel and take the inverse limit of the corresponding sequence to embed it in $\mathbf{ Z}_5$. Does that make sense?

Could you explain me how we could apply the Hensel Lemma in this case? I haven't uderstood it... (Sweating)

I've already given an answer in here and evinda figured out how to Hensel this out in the comment below.

mathbalarka said:
I've already given an answer in here and evinda figured out how to Hensel this out in the comment below.

Thanks a lot! (Clapping)

mathbalarka said:

Which is the easiest way to find, for example, the $x$, such that $2x \equiv 1 \pmod {5^3}$ ? (Worried)

Related to Show that number is integer 5-adic, find 5 positions...

1. How do you show that a number is integer 5-adic?

To show that a number is integer 5-adic, we need to prove that it is divisible by powers of 5. This means that the number can be written as a sum of multiples of 5, such as 5, 25, 125, etc. We can also show this by using the definition of the 5-adic valuation, which assigns a unique value to each number based on its divisibility by 5.

2. What is the significance of finding 5 positions in a number that is integer 5-adic?

Finding 5 positions in a number that is integer 5-adic is significant because it shows that the number can be represented in base 5. This means that the number can be expressed as a sum of powers of 5, with each position representing a different power. This is useful in number theory and can also help in solving equations involving 5-adic numbers.

3. How can you find 5 positions in a number that is integer 5-adic?

To find 5 positions in a number that is integer 5-adic, we can use the base 5 representation of the number. This involves dividing the number by powers of 5 and noting the remainder at each stage. The remainder at each stage will correspond to one of the 5 positions in the number, with the first position being the units position, the second position being the 5s position, and so on.

4. Can all numbers be represented as integer 5-adic numbers?

No, not all numbers can be represented as integer 5-adic numbers. The 5-adic numbers are a subset of the rational numbers, and only those numbers that are divisible by powers of 5 can be represented as integer 5-adic numbers. Numbers that are not divisible by 5 or contain other prime factors cannot be represented in base 5 and thus cannot be expressed as integer 5-adic numbers.

5. What are some applications of 5-adic numbers in science and mathematics?

5-adic numbers have various applications in number theory, algebra, and cryptography. They are also used in the study of p-adic analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of p-adic numbers. In science, 5-adic numbers have been used in theoretical physics to study the properties of quantum mechanics and in computer science for error correction codes.