Can you help me find this great free programming website I forgot to bookmark?

• Thread starter FrancisZ
  • Start date
In summary, Francis Ziegler was looking for a website that he found three days ago while Google-ing computer languages, but he forgot to bookmark it. The website offered free, basic programming lessons without the need to download anything. Francis was interrupted and never got to see the rest of the website. He remembers some of the program, including a "guess the number" game and a run mechanism. He asked for help in finding the website again and mentioned that he uses Firefox and has his history set to clear. Other users suggested searching through the computer's history or using a specific phrase in a Google search for the website.
FrancisZ
About three days ago, I was Google-ing computer languages (something I never really learned well enough), and eventually I came across this great website--WHICH I FORGOT TO BOOKMARK! UGH!

I've been looking again for the past 3 hours, and now have a headache.

Basically, it taught--entirely for free--very basic programming; and without having to download ANYTHING.

I was interrupted at the time and never got to see the rest of it, but the first part went like this...1) It gave a little history and info to encourage you (just like the wonderful teacher it was)

2) It taught by example...it had a text box with a simple "guess the number" program already written into it, and allowed you to mangle it to practice some skills.

3) this text box actually had a run mechanism (so no compiler download or any crap like that).

4) there were several other lessons that you could progress through (the next one I think, after this, was printing your name).

Please help me find this again.I remember some of the program...something = int (rnd(1)*100) +1print "I'm thinking of a number,"

print "and I want you to try and guess it."then there was some code about if you guess too low or too high.Anyway, if you have a few moments to waste on me, please look for this and give me some ideas where to search.Gratefully,

Francis Ziegler

Physics news on Phys.org
FrancisZ said:
About three days ago, I was Google-ing computer languages (something I never really learned well enough), and eventually I came across this great website--WHICH I FORGOT TO BOOKMARK! UGH!

I've been looking again for the past 3 hours, and now have a headache.

Basically, it taught--entirely for free--very basic programming; and without having to download ANYTHING.

I was interrupted at the time and never got to see the rest of it, but the first part went like this...

1) It gave a little history and info to encourage you (just like the wonderful teacher it was)

2) It taught by example...it had a text box with a simple "guess the number" program already written into it, and allowed you to mangle it to practice some skills.

3) this text box actually had a run mechanism (so no compiler download or any crap like that).

4) there were several other lessons that you could progress through (the next one I think, after this, was printing your name).

Please help me find this again.

I remember some of the program...

something = int (rnd(1)*100) +1

print "I'm thinking of a number,"

print "and I want you to try and guess it."

then there was some code about if you guess too low or too high.

Anyway, if you have a few moments to waste on me, please look for this and give me some ideas where to search.

Gratefully,

Francis Ziegler
Is it your computer? If so, go to "history". Go to the day you found it, and you will find the webpage.

If you don't have access to the computer, I'll search for it.

Evo said:
Is it your computer? If so, go to "history". Go to the day you found it, and you will find the webpage.

If you don't have access to the computer, I'll search for it.
What browser are you using FZ? If it's IE7, find the little star on the left (History) as Evo indicated, and look in last week's entry.

Alternatively, if it was a google search, then typing in " http://www.google.com/search?hl= " will prompt a list of your google searches. That's if it is IE7. I don't know about other browsers.

No, I use Firefox. And I've had it set to clear history for a while now.

I thought I bookmarked it right before dinner, but apparently it didn't take.Thank-you both for trying though--you're the best! :cool:

Related to Can you help me find this great free programming website I forgot to bookmark?

1. What is the best free programming website?

There are many great free programming websites available, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and what you're looking to learn. Some popular options include Codeacademy, Coursera, and FreeCodeCamp.

2. Can you recommend a specific programming website for beginners?

If you're new to programming, I would suggest starting with a website that offers interactive lessons and a user-friendly interface, such as Codeacademy or Khan Academy. They provide a great foundation for beginners to learn coding concepts.

3. Is there a programming website that offers a variety of programming languages?

Yes, there are many websites that offer a wide range of programming languages to learn. Some popular options include W3Schools, Udemy, and edX. These websites offer courses on various languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, and more.

4. Are there any free programming websites that offer certifications or accreditation?

Yes, there are some free programming websites that offer certifications or accreditation upon completing courses or programs. Codeacademy, Coursera, and edX are a few examples of websites that offer this option. However, do keep in mind that these certifications may not hold the same weight as a degree from a traditional educational institution.

5. How can I find a programming website that fits my specific learning needs?

The best way to find a programming website that fits your specific needs is to do some research and read reviews from other users. You can also try out a few different websites to see which one best suits your learning style and goals. Keep in mind that what works for one person may not necessarily work for you, so it's important to find a website that caters to your individual needs.